Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Your Brake Lights

Old 03-03-2016, 10:02 AM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Check Your Brake Lights

2014 SGS - I have CD LEDs, their Strobe Module & the HD Run/Brake Light Chevron on the bottom. It lights up the back nicely.

Took the bike out yesterday, came up on a red light, stopped when another bike ( Sportbike rider) rolled up to me & told me I didn't have brake lights. So I pull over in a shopping center, did the checking & found I only had brake lights with the rear brake pedal. Ran the code check per the book & got nothing. So I head over to Reno HD & right before I pulled in, I got a Code Light on the dash. They checked it & saw several codes including the Handlebar Brake Light Switch was not operating. In our discussion, he told me that they have replaced multiples of the front switch on 14-16 Models. On the ride home, the Code Light went back out.

I learned that the new design 14 & up models do not have the old style switch to replace & now the entire module has to be replaced. Old switch was about $25.00 but retail on the new module is $220.00. Fortunately I still have warranty left.

I'm good about maintaining my bike & check things over regularly. The brake lights were working a few days earlier. So... take the 5 mins & check yours.

The following 8 users liked this post by JCBGlide:
BlueBeast (03-04-2016), cmtaylor (03-18-2016), Drair (03-09-2016), GalvTexGuy (03-03-2016), imskier2 (03-04-2016), loadie (03-10-2016), sunderhill (03-09-2016), Vernal (03-04-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBGlide
2014 SGS - I have CD LEDs, their Strobe Module & the HD Run/Brake Light Chevron on the bottom. It lights up the back nicely.

Took the bike out yesterday, came up on a red light, stopped when another bike ( Sportbike rider) rolled up to me & told me I didn't have brake lights. So I pull over in a shopping center, did the checking & found I only had brake lights with the rear brake pedal. Ran the code check per the book & got nothing. So I head over to Reno HD & right before I pulled in, I got a Code Light on the dash. They checked it & saw several codes including the Handlebar Brake Light Switch was not operating. In our discussion, he told me that they have replaced multiples of the front switch on 14-16 Models. On the ride home, the Code Light went back out.

I learned that the new design 14 & up models do not have the old style switch to replace & now the entire module has to be replaced. Old switch was about $25.00 but retail on the new module is $220.00. Fortunately I still have warranty left.

I'm good about maintaining my bike & check things over regularly. The brake lights were working a few days earlier. So... take the 5 mins & check yours.
Good advice, I have five brake lights in the rear with the main brake light, saddle bag lights, fender tip light, and tour-pac lights. I always check them against the garage door before I open it.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:20 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I always check them against the garage door before I open it.
I use the front of the cars behind me to check. I run through all signals & brake lights at long stops. Cagers behind me must think I'm nuts lol

Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

that switch failed on my 14 RK as well. even though I had warranty left, I changed the switch myself, hate going to the dealer service dept. that much.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM
JimScharf
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, me too, Fatty!

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the switch in the light housing or elsewhere? I replaced my rear taillight with a BAL, so much brighter than what came in it.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm having the same problem. Not 100% failure tho, maybe 1 in 3 or 4 times I start it the front brake light doesn't work. Sometimes I can just cycle the power on and off and it works. When it works, it works until I power off. I guess I'll order the part and change it when the weathers crap. Its still under warranty but I don't trust my local dealer so I'll pay for it myself. What the hell is wrong with that?

This is the first real problem I've had with this bike in 18k miles. Not the end of the world but still kinda annoying.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 PM
mavantix
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The switch for the front brake and clutch switch cluster on the handlebar. It's included in all one part, there's really no servicing the individual switches. Example instructions for the lighted switches.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:26 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,847 Likes on 2,804 Posts

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Badass14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 14 sgs and I think my front brake switch is starting to fail. The brakes are already applied before the lights even come on. Is the switch built in with the master cylinder or is there a part I can replace. I've had the dealer look at it already and they say everything is fine. The back brake switch works as it should. My old bike I could barely squeeze the handle and they were on. Bike is still under warranty and I think that is the reason they keep saying its fine. I have the brake strobe module from custom dynamics and have even taken that out to see if it was a difference. (no difference of course) Any help would be appreciated. I am at the point if I have to spend the money to get it right no problem even if it is under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Your Brake Lights