Sponsored by:

Tying down to trailer a TK

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Tying down to trailer a TK

Although I've never trailer'd our TK, I plan on loading it in the toyhauler at some point this summer for some longer trips. Being retired we now have the luxury of being out for weeks at a time...

What points on the bike are you strapping to?? I have a Condor Pit Stop rack but still am up for suggestions for tying off points...

I've already experimented with riding it in and backing it out and it's absolutely no problem at all, but these bikes don't lend themselves to being trailer'd.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:18 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I use soft ties around the front forks just above the fender. Put the front tire against something and ratchet straps from the soft ties to pull forward and to both sides. This way the suspension is not crushed. If you think you need to, you may tie the back to something too but I don't bother.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I use soft ties around the front forks just above the fender. Put the front tire against something and ratchet straps from the soft ties to pull forward and to both sides. This way the suspension is not crushed.
This is exactly what I do but I do use straps on the saddle bag guards tightened lightly to keep the back end from walking. I have had that happen in the past when I didn't tit the rear end down. You can do the same thing around the rear wheel.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go look for some soft ties...

Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Put security system in trailor mode

Old 03-03-2016, 02:34 PM
Bam15012
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a Wheeldock in the trailer, in the garage and on the lift. I love it. It is easier to get out of than the the pivot style wheel chocks.
here is a link: http://www.wheeldock.com/store/item/wheeldock

Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

If you don't have good straps, 1 1/2" or 2" you should consider some.
I have the Big Daddy's and I don't think the bike moves at all and soft ties are built in.
http://powertye.com/store/index.php

Good Luck
Bill

Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

I use these http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...6J8aAjHx8P8HAQ

Cheap, easy and works fine and I ALWAYS tie down the rear, had the rear walk (in a Buddy's trailer) and did some damage. Not to hijack but my Buddy uses a short piece of 8"x 8" wood block (carpeted) under the frame, he pulls the tie downs tight until the frame contacts the block, says it doesn't allow the suspension to move and keeps the tie-downs tight...anyone ever do this? Thanks...

And to the OP, DON'T forget to put the bike in "Trailer Mode" when transporting, if not expect a dead battery on arrival.

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 03-03-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I use these http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...6J8aAjHx8P8HAQ

Cheap, easy and works fine and I ALWAYS tie down the rear, had the rear walk (in a Buddy's trailer) and did some damage. Not to hijack but my Buddy uses a short piece of 8"x 8" wood block (carpeted) under the frame, he pulls the tie downs tight until the frame contacts the block, says it doesn't allow the suspension to move and keeps the tie-downs tight...anyone ever do this? Thanks...

And to the OP, DON'T forget to put the bike in "Trailer Mode" when transporting, if not expect a dead battery on arrival.
Carpeted block works great!

The following users liked this post:
IUOE ROB (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I use a standard wheel chock for the front wheel with a strap through the wheel to hold it in place. The next straps are from each lower fairing crash bar out to the sides. Last straps are from the saddle bag bars out to the sides and back slightly. I put E-tracks in my toy hauler so I can use them for both the bike and atv's. For each of the side straps, I use a looped strap extension to loop through the bars with a soft towel between the strap and the chrome.

I towed the trailer and bike from FL to NC this past summer and it didn't budge a bit. The key is too compress the suspension a bit. Just like on my atv's, if the suspension can bounce up and down, the bike will likely move and the straps will loosen up.

+1 on trailer mode on the security system.

Quick Reply: Tying down to trailer a TK