Sponsored by:

First long trip on the SGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts
Default First long trip on the SGS

Finally took a trip on my '`15 SGS. Left Atlanta on Wednesday 3/9 for Daytona Bike Week. My buddy rode his '14 Ultra Limited from SC the day before.

We took off at 6am for our 475 mile day of riding and the first thing I noticed, the headlight sucks. While I normally don't ride at night and if I do, it's not on the highway, the headlight is completely useless for highway riding. My main concern is not being able to see something like a retread in the road and have enough time to react to it.

I have a Corbin Classic Solo with a rider backrest and a touring pillion. I also used the passenger backrest and detachable rack. This is what it looked like before leaving.

The seat was a dream like the 2 other Corbin Classic solos that I've had on other Harleys. Cruise control worked flawlessly just like my 02 RK did. I was wearing a fullface helmet so the music couldn't be heard all that well. I noticed some slight buffeting on the top of my helmet when going over 80mph. Probably need an 8" LRS instead of the 7" that is on it.

The 12" LA Chopper Twin Bars were comfortable but after 6 hours, I was getting a little tweak of muscle pain in the back of my neck. Not sure if it was the bars or just too long not riding long distance.

Our average speed was between 75 and 80 - closer to 80mph. I like to hit the left lane and just stay there. That way I only have 180 degrees to worry about. My mileage going down as between 31 and 33 mpg. I thought that was a little low but we were running pretty fast. I have a VH FP3 and have the right map but have also done some autotune runs.

I switched bikes with my buddy on one leg of the journey and the first thing I noticed was how nice the lowers were on the Ultra. There was a lot less leg fatigue from the wind trying to blow your legs off of the floorboards. On the other hand, there was more heat from the head pipe as well. He had that stock head pipe with SE Street Cannons until we got to Daytona. He bought a set of power duals and VH air cleaner at the VH tent and they installed them. I had a Super Chips Vigilante tuner that I gave to him before we left for Daytona and we tuned the bike in the parking lot after the install.

While we were at the VH tent at Destination Daytona, I told the VH techs that I had poor mileage on the way day. Told them I had the ProPipe map but did some autotune sessions as well. While my buddy and I were gone when they installed the pipes on his bike, they tuned my bike. It had much better throttle response and I got closer to 35mpg on the way home.

Overall I love the SGS burning up the highway. It is a nicer ride than my RK on the highway but that probably has more to do with the batwing fairing.

Coming from the trip, I have a new list of upgrades.

Suspension: Leaning towards the Legend Axeo for the front and Legend Revo-A for the back. The stock system isn't bad but there are definite improvements that can be made.

Lowers: If I end up doing a lot of highway riding I'll buy these.

Audio: At highway speeds the Boom plain sucks. Amp and 6.5" speakers are a must. I'm also buying the headset cable in order to plug into the audio system. Sena makes a connector that plugs into the factory headset connector which can be connected to a bluetooth unit. I'd rather have bluetooth audio to my helmet then cranking the stereo at highway speeds.

Here are some other Bike Week shots.

About 3/4's of the way there.

Thought about trading the SGS for it

Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

If you get the lowers get the speakers for them also makes hearing the music way better on highway rides.

Batman

Old 03-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Chadster21
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batman.
If you get the lowers get the speakers for them also makes hearing the music way better on highway rides.

Batman
what type of lowers are you running? are the speakers worth it?

op. nice bike looks like you had a good trip.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I would hold off on the speaker upgrade until you get your new windshield on the bike. I thought the same thing about the stock sound system until I changed windshields. Going from the stock windscreen to a taller one improved the sound dramatically. I can clearly hear my radio at highway speeds and have practically zero buffering.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:24 AM
BigMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by jclax01
I would hold off on the speaker upgrade until you get your new windshield on the bike. I thought the same thing about the stock sound system until I changed windshields. Going from the stock windscreen to a taller one improved the sound dramatically. I can clearly hear my radio at highway speeds and have practically zero buffering.
It probably has more to do with the FF helmet. I never had a problem with my half helmet but I don't wear that on trips.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Big Mike, Have owned 3 Ultras with TourPaks over the past 10 years. This summer I will be taking an extended trip on my '16 RGS, so I would welcome any info and comments you have on the luggage you use. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Definitely the full face. My Boom stage 2 is the same way, just not nearly as quiet. It's just the way it goes with a full face helmet. Love the color of the bike BTW. It was my second choice.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM
BigMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by nj08SEUltra
Big Mike, Have owned 3 Ultras with TourPaks over the past 10 years. This summer I will be taking an extended trip on my '16 RGS, so I would welcome any info and comments you have on the luggage you use. Thanks.
This is the bag I've used since '04. You can pack a lot of clothes in it plus I have 2 saddlebag insert bags.

http://www.bagtec.com/FullDresserBag/

I also have the detachable passenger backrest and the
King H-D Detachables Two-Up Luggage Rack

Old 03-17-2016, 10:21 AM
caddman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nj08SEUltra
I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in on the luggage thing. I made the switch from a Street Glide to a Limited just last year. I had done one 6,000 mile trip on the Street Glide, 3 years ago. Last year my youngest son rode the Street Glide on a 5,000 mile trip. The luggage we use is Nelson Rigg. And I can't say that I would trade it for anything else.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took my first long trip on my 16 SGS, coming off of a 13 Limited there was a big difference for me as well. I noticed the same drop in MPG, gotta stay below 75 to get near the 200 mile range for me. I also run a SOLO seat, first time for me, and I bought the Harley version, it wasnt bad but I may upgrade to a Mustang but overall it was ok. I also have 12inch La Chopper bars with Avon grips, no complaints there at all. Music, I added the communication plug to both mine and my wifes SGS, so when we travel (Full faced helmets) we can use our phones to talk and listen to the Radio, its a 70 dollar add on and well worth it for long trips, install it yourself, super easy. I run a full set of Slimline dual Rhinehart exhaust so it gets loud after 18 hours. I rode non-stop from San Antonio to Daytona, and back, great ride and look forward to my next trip.

Quick Reply: First long trip on the SGS