Sponsored by:

AKE Bluetooth Adapter & Sena SM20s Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 AM
twhayes99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AKE Bluetooth Adapter & Sena SM20s Issues

Hey folks, trying to get the AKE Bluetooth Adapter for Harley working w/ my Road Glide Ultra and a Sena SM20s headset and have run into an issue.

I get audio fine from the radio and other audio sources, but seems I can't transmit. I've confirmed the AKE dongle is in 'duplex' mode, single green led on the adapter. Headset is paired with the AKE, I've even forced HFP pairing mode on the headset to ensure it uses the right bluetooth profile.

Firmware versions on the headset and radio are the most current versions, 1.6 for the headset and 1.19.2 on the Boom radio.

I've got an email in to AKE but wanted to ask here as well in hopes one of y'all ran into similar issues or have any insights on what to try next...

So, any thoughts?

Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 AM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bluetooth pairing

i get confused with the different Bluetooth profiles but try connecting just like you were connecting it to your phone. The video below is me connecting mine and the steps I use. I have a different sena product so I can't speak to the specifics of the SMH20 but I just hold the phone pairing button until it says, "phone pairing". Then it's good to go stereo and duplex. Check out the video I made for reference on pairing and deleting old pairings.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by twhayes99
Hey folks, trying to get the AKE Bluetooth Adapter for Harley working w/ my Road Glide Ultra and a Sena SM20s headset and have run into an issue.

I get audio fine from the radio and other audio sources, but seems I can't transmit. I've confirmed the AKE dongle is in 'duplex' mode, single green led on the adapter. Headset is paired with the AKE, I've even forced HFP pairing mode on the headset to ensure it uses the right bluetooth profile.

Firmware versions on the headset and radio are the most current versions, 1.6 for the headset and 1.19.2 on the Boom radio.

I've got an email in to AKE but wanted to ask here as well in hopes one of y'all ran into similar issues or have any insights on what to try next...

So, any thoughts?
I had the same issues, including not being able to go from duplex to stereo. After numerous emails and sending my unit back to Germany, just so they could say its fine, must be the headset, I told them to keep the junk and refunded my purchase. Buyers beware.

The following users liked this post:
twhayes99 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 12:15 PM
twhayes99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CPT_Carrera
i get confused with the different Bluetooth profiles but try connecting just like you were connecting it to your phone. The video below is me connecting mine and the steps I use. I have a different sena product so I can't speak to the specifics of the SMH20 but I just hold the phone pairing button until it says, "phone pairing". Then it's good to go stereo and duplex. Check out the video I made for reference on pairing and deleting old pairings.

http://youtu.be/lLENFbIFgZE
Thanks for the input CPT, I did try the default method of pairing the first few times though, when that didn't work I thought perhaps it was pairing with an oddball profile on the Sena so tried the force to HFP method. During all that I cleared all pairings multiple times from both the AKE and the headset as well.

Don't think I experimented with the pairing or power on order, I'll give that a shot later and see if anything changes.

Appreciate the info!!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer

Thanks for the input CPT, I did try the default method of pairing the first few times though, when that didn't work I thought perhaps it was pairing with an oddball profile on the Sena so tried the force to HFP method. During all that I cleared all pairings multiple times from both the AKE and the headset as well.

Don't think I experimented with the pairing or power on order, I'll give that a shot later and see if anything changes.

Appreciate the info!!
i would deginately try powering up the headset first then start your bike and then power on the AKE unit so they can pair. Mine doesn't even pair unless I go in that order specifically.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:20 PM
twhayes99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CPT_Carrera
i would deginately try powering up the headset first then start your bike and then power on the AKE unit so they can pair. Mine doesn't even pair unless I go in that order specifically.
Partial success!! Audio is at least now being received by the head unit from the headset, I can get voice commands functioning so that confirms tx is happening.

However, phone calls aren't working. I can hear them fine but they get no audio from my side. I suspect this may be an issue in the BT connectivity between the head unit and my phone, rather than the AKE dongle, since voice commands are functioning so more experimenting is necessary.

To bad CB is mostly dead these days, at least around, here that could be another test

Old 04-26-2016, 04:25 PM
fdny136
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my ake and sena sph-10 works just like cpt-carrera explained .I turn on my sena then start the bike

Old 04-26-2016, 04:31 PM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer

Partial success!! Audio is at least now being received by the head unit from the headset, I can get voice commands functioning so that confirms tx is happening.

However, phone calls aren't working. I can hear them fine but they get no audio from my side. I suspect this may be an issue in the BT connectivity between the head unit and my phone, rather than the AKE dongle, since voice commands are functioning so more experimenting is necessary.

To bad CB is mostly dead these days, at least around, here that could be another test
Sounds like your on your way to getting it figured out. The AKE connection instructions don't actually specify that the headset should be started first but through trial and error I picked up on that. were you trying to make a phone call from your garage? That could be part of your phone call problem.