Sponsored by:

Very Low speed front end wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:39 PM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Very Low speed front end wobble

Hi, I have a 2014 Ultra Limited. At very low speeds and while turning sharp radiuses I get a front end wobble. I had taken to the dealer twice ( thinking it was a neck bearing) before the warranty ran out. All they said was it is within tolerance. Has any body else experienced this? and if so were you able to remedy the situation? Thanks Bill

Top Answer

05-16-2016, 07:21 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I had an issue with the front end of my '14 FLHTK that I also described as low speed wobble. At parking lot speeds, it felt like there was something loose between my handlebars and the front wheel. The "looseness" moderated at higher speeds, and the bike handled ok on the highway, but it would come back at slow speeds. I had the neck bearings checked, as well as the torque on the handlebar clamps.

I went so far as to replace the front end suspension and went to a tire with a different tread pattern. All of these things made it a little bit better. Finally, though, I found a post in this forum that suggested looking at the handlebar riser bushings. I have yet to actually pull out and check those bushings, but what I did find was that the bolt through those bushings that you access from the bottom of the top triple tree wasn't properly torqued. It wasn't way loose, but it took about 3/4 of a turn to bring the bolt to torque spec of 38 lb-ft.

Cranking those bolts down made all the difference in the world. I got immediate relief from the slow speed wobble. That was about 15k miles ago. Recently, I started to sense a little wobble again, and sure enough, those same bolts had backed out slightly. Re-torqued them, and wobble gone.

So, the next time I sense any wobble, I will pull the fairing and get in and replace the riser bushings, and then also Blue Loctite the bolts.

The riser bolt heads are easily accessible if you swing the handlebars to one side and then the other. Look up at the bottom of the top triple tree and they will be obvious. You can reach them with a socket wrench and a 3 inch extension.

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 05-16-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:45 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Since the Dealer has checked the front end out,and you have probably made sure of the tire pressure,The most likely culprit is the front tire.

The following users liked this post:
springers4ever (09-27-2023)
Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Jackhole48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with GTK. How many miles are on the front tire and have you looked at it closely for cupping?

Old 05-15-2016, 01:37 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bill1nat
Hi, I have a 2014 Ultra Limited. At very low speeds and while turning sharp radiuses I get a front end wobble. I had taken to the dealer twice ( thinking it was a neck bearing) before the warranty ran out. All they said was it is within tolerance. Has any body else experienced this? and if so were you able to remedy the situation? Thanks Bill
i would try another dealer and have them check the neck bearing again and not mention you had it checked just ask them to bring it to the tighter end of the spec while there doing it ....
and as other stated check the tire to but if its cuped wearing weird, something is causing it....

Ive had issues with neck bearing and dealerships in the past so try another one IMO

Old 05-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

According to local shop they all do that but I couldn't stand it, I tighten the steering head bearings and wobble went away.Swing back test was within specs but little too close the high side, not knowing the thread on adjust nut is reverse turn a qtr turn took for ride and the damn thing was swinging like crazy dancer, then tighten back 1/2 turn it was better then turn another 1/2 turn was little too tight felt funny in a corner backed off little and it was perfect buttoned back all the crap and called good.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Had the same issue last summer and took the bike to the dealer for neck bearing adjustment,and it wasn't the issue,Had about 18,000 miles on the front tire and had it changed about a week later and issue didn't go away. Just my experience.

Last edited by mikeman54; 10-07-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue, dealer checked it out and found no issues.

I replaced the front tire to fix the issue, tire was cupped.

My back tire is cupped also, doesn't ride bad, but makes noise in turns. Sound kind of like a big truck tire when leaning right or left.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Agree with everyone else...front tire is the most likely cause. Just went through that myself.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:46 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I replaced the front tire as well but the problem didn't go away so I adjusted the neck bearing with a 1/4" socket extension. First time it was too tight and the bike veered all over the road. Had to take it all back apart again to get to the pinch screw to loosen it some.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Mine does the same but I'm due a front tire, going to match the rear with an American Elite this time.

Quick Reply: Very Low speed front end wobble