Sponsored by:

First time with American Elites

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Mine from Jake Wilson
MT90B-16 (72H) Dunlop American Elite Front Motorcycle Tire Black Wall - Front $123.13
MU85B-16 (77H) Dunlop American Elite Rear Motorcycle Tire Black Wall - Rear $155.07
$278.20 shipped plus a $40 Visa Rebate card

Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny I thought the same thing.
Thought I got a defective tire at first but just figured it must just be that way. Got the front on and rear this weekend.
It might be all in my head but I think it handles a little sloppy with AE in front and oem in rear but the rear is pretty worn so it just could be that.
Originally Posted by elPrez
Stupid question time...I just put a set of American Elites on my 05 Ultra, love the way new tires feel! I made sure to mount them in the direction indicated on the sidewall but as I was rolling them to my suv to bring them home I noticed that the tread pattern was opposite between the front and rear...is that right?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
28,000 miles on the rear tire???? Being you are in Florida, I know you ride in the rain a lot, that will extend tire life, but even so, you must be able to see the air in the tires.
Nope, like I said in the OP, I still had 3/32" on the front and rear. I ride year round, hot or cold.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
They are the same. Only difference is HD is the exclusive owner of the tread pattern, same materials and handling.
According to Dunlop, this is not the fact. HD has a patient on the tire tread as well as compound. These are the tires they made for HD but the tread design did not suit them. They are supposed to be stickier and also have a different contour. I switched 2 years ago and they are far superior to the stock HD tire...

Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
If I got 28,000 out of a set on my bike I would be buying the same tires again.

Anyways, it is amazing how a new set of tires put on a motorcycle will make it ride like a new motorcycle.
28k with room to spare on any brands rear, Sorry, I have to call BS on that. Unless he rode strait for 9k then 9k in a left hand circle and another 9k in a right hand circle.
I just put a new set of AE on mine after 13k and had about another 1k left on my rear, granted I ride 2up and pull a trailer half the time. The AE's have a hard compound in the center and a soft compound on the edges, hopefully that will keep them round and won't cup so fast.

Last edited by Greatsteaks; 06-26-2016 at 08:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
penmaker (06-29-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Grmullins62
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Hog
According to Dunlop, this is not the fact. HD has a patient on the tire tread as well as compound. These are the tires they made for HD but the tread design did not suit them. They are supposed to be stickier and also have a different contour. I switched 2 years ago and they are far superior to the stock HD tire...
When I talked to Dunlop Reps in Daytona at Bike Week they told me it was the same compound but different tread design per HD. Only difference was the tread pattern and the price.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 PM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put an allen wrench through my back tire on my 2014 Ultra Limited. I ordered front and rear American Elites because I didn't want
to run different tread patterns. These American Elites have a softer ride but what I found amazing was the stock OEM Dunlops
were horrible on tar snakes. These American Elites are 1000% better on tar snakes.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:50 AM
detroitsongbird
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleman
I put an allen wrench through my back tire on my 2014 Ultra Limited. I ordered front and rear American Elites because I didn't want
to run different tread patterns. These American Elites have a softer ride but what I found amazing was the stock OEM Dunlops
were horrible on tar snakes. These American Elites are 1000% better on tar snakes.
I was going to ask about the tar snakes. My previous bike was a honda shadow spirit 1100. It road great on the snakes, in the rain, etc. My 2015 street glide shimmies around on the tar snakes (not a good feeling). It sounds like the AE tires will fix that. Yea!!!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Wish we got that kind of mileage replaced both on mine at 15K and wife's less then 13K, I replaced mine with MCII not happy with the handling and road noise, handling was more important for mom's ride even though I bought 2 sets of MCII but replaced her with Pirelli ND.I used few sets of ND on her old UC, those are the best performing tires but have very short life. I might give AE try after using the 2nd set of MCII I also like to replace both tires every change for improved handling.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I have them and have 5500 on the rear and about 300 on the front and love the AE's, my front oem dunlop sucked from the get go, should had it replaced after purchase, it had 6 weights on each side of the wheel and still wobbled some down low. I now have the AE on the front with no weights and smooth as silk !!

Quick Reply: First time with American Elites