Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
Kingspoke asked above:
"Does that look like a new frame?"

Not yet.

2017 will be a "transitional" production year, with the new M-8 engine in the existing (old) frame. Similar to the 2008 production year, when you had the "new tank" on the older frame/swingarm setup.

2018 will debut the upcoming "common core" frame ("common" because the "core" frame assembly will bolt up to both the touring models -and- the Dyna models).

Pure speculation on my part, but I'll bet we see a re-designed Softail frame in 2018 as well, so the same M-8 motor fits in ALL the bikes.

All in all, I believe the changes across the product line in '18 will be as far-reaching or moreso than those in 2017 ...
Nailed it !

Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Interesting to say the least. According to the revzilla article, the leak was from someone at a test facility. Usually those facilities have some really tight non-disclosure agreements, someone is probably going to be in deep do-doo over this leak.
Unless H-D wanted it to leak. It does happen in the automotive industry and at this point they are only weeks out from the dealer show. Allowing such a leak can serve several purposes. It can boost sales to those sitting on the fence that don't wish to be lab rats while at the same time, wet the appetite of early adopters that were considering a left over '16.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:45 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Unless H-D wanted it to leak. It does happen in the automotive industry and at this point they are only weeks out from the dealer show. Allowing such a leak can serve several purposes. It can boost sales to those sitting on the fence that don't wish to be lab rats while at the same time, wet the appetite of early adopters that were considering a left over '16.
EXACTLY!
I'll add to it that MoCo unveiled the new RG last year at Sturgis instead of waiting for the dealer meeting. Pressure from Indian putting out there new goodies at Sturgis is starting to keep MoCo on their toes. They can't afford to snub the possible customers by waiting another two weeks for their dealer meeting to introduce new stuff.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:34 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohiobellboy
EXACTLY!
I'll add to it that MoCo unveiled the new RG last year at Sturgis instead of waiting for the dealer meeting. Pressure from Indian putting out there new goodies at Sturgis is starting to keep MoCo on their toes. They can't afford to snub the possible customers by waiting another two weeks for their dealer meeting to introduce new stuff.
You bring up a good point! With Indian announcing the new 2017's with new infotainment, Harley might leak info to let customers know that something new is coming so riders will wait and see first. I never did understand why HD stopped releasing the new MY bikes at Sturgis! The biggest rally with about 95% Harley riders and now Indian has all of their attention. Doesn't make sense to me!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:41 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Interesting to say the least. According to the revzilla article, the leak was from someone at a test facility. Usually those facilities have some really tight non-disclosure agreements, someone is probably going to be in deep do-doo over this leak.
As someone that has worked in new product development my entire career I strongly agree that anything leaked from a testing facility would be met with lawsuits out the wazoo. Most test facilltiies I have worked with won't even allow personal cellphones or any other camera type devices on the floor.

That being said I beilieve this is an intentional leak on Harley's part before Sturgis.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:58 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
As someone that has worked in new product development my entire career I strongly agree that anything leaked from a testing facility would be met with lawsuits out the wazoo. Most test facilltiies I have worked with won't even allow personal cellphones or any other camera type devices on the floor.

That being said I beilieve this is an intentional leak on Harley's part before Sturgis.
Agreed. In my field of work I run into this quite a bit. No photos, cameras, etc. lawsuits aplenty if one were to do so.

Of course it was intentional, creating a buzz for the general public before the biggest motorcycle rally and pending dealer show.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i would like to see them fix other things like netural rattle , compensators, wheel bearings before coming out with a new engine.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i would like to see them fix other things like netural rattle , compensators, wheel bearings before coming out with a new engine.
Agreed!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm probably wrong, but I just have a feeling this is all BS.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:55 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

I foresee the MoCo having to return to introducing the next years upgrades at Sturgis. Simply to stay ahead of the curve. Polaris is truly forcing Harley to step up it's game. This will benefit the consumer in the end.

Quick Reply: Rumors of HD's new engines