Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I saw a 107 bike today...

Old 08-26-2016, 07:52 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Well, I saw a 107 bike today...

...and, just to my eyes, seen from the left (non air cleaner side) that's one of the downright butt-ugliest motors I've ever seen on a motorcycle!

HUGE, overhanging heads on little skinny-appearing cylinders. The first thing I thought of was a RC helicopter motor with that enormous head for cooling.

Now, I KNOW that the fins on the cylinders don't have to be nearly as big as the ones on the heads to get the job done, but for aesthetics, that look really blows, IMHO.

Again, IMHO, the TC 103 is the best looking motor they ever built, but that's just me.

I luuuuuuv my dinky little '15 Limited even more now!!

One of the sales guys was riding one around from service to the main door and, to me, it sounded more like one of those metric bikes that tries to look like a Harley. Super-steady, and LOW volume put, put, put, put etc. He revved it a couple of times inside the building - and it STILL sounded metric-ish (not really a word.). I have to say, though, that the motor was pretty much mechanically silent, other than that whirring counterbalancer drive-gear.

BTW, they had nearly NO room on the floor for the two '17's they had because of the leftover '16's that were piled in there like cord-wood. $2000 off every '16 on the floor, too.

Since I got my '15 for $2500 off MSRP plus a free XM module on top of that and at the beginning of the 2015 riding season to boot, that $2000 didn't seem like much of a deal to me (different dealer, of course - the same one that charges $1900 for a set of apes installed on a non-fairing bike).

Anyway, if the new motor turns out to be as good as they claim and has minimum issues from the factory, that'll be its saving grace.

OTOH, every other person that sees it may love the looks. Who knows?

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-27-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: To change "Jap" to "Metric" - gotta be PC, I guess
Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

You said exactly what I thought when I looked at it today. From the air cleaner side it looks pretty cool. On the other side it looks like the cylinders touch each other all the way to the top. Far too fat in my opinion. After looking at it for about 30 minutes with wife in tow we figured our 103 was perfect and there wasn't enough positive changes that suited our tastes to make any kind of change. My 103 runs just fine down the highway and not interested in more power. I like the lack of heat on the legs part but not enough to part with my customized to my liking UC.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I just have to say this..... when folks see a new bike and start to call it names like this...to me it just means you don't have the money to buy one.

Now, having said this - the bike will sell and folks will like it. Those that don't will not buy it.

This is no different than when I purchased my 2014 - some folks said the twin cam cooled was bad and ugly and all of that. They didn't buy one - and it is their right.

So, my point - if you don't like it - perhaps you can just saw - I say it, looks interesting but I think I will stick with whatI have.

The following 3 users liked this post by cycle7447:
lp (08-26-2016), sharps45100 (08-27-2016), sixguns (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Maybe i am deaf or maybe this is like the old Harleys where some do and some don't but the road king i looked at today was dead silent. No whirring sound. I didn't ride it though. Just a dealer demo on the floor.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

I was at the dealer today and have to agree with you. All the sales people were taking out a freewheeler,road glide,ultra,street glide and road king on rides and they sound like a metric bike and from the horn side look like a metric bike it seems as the primary looks smaller and shaped like a metric style imo

Old 08-26-2016, 08:22 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I just have to say this..... when folks see a new bike and start to call it names like this...to me it just means you don't have the money to buy one.

Now, having said this - the bike will sell and folks will like it. Those that don't will not buy it.

This is no different than when I purchased my 2014 - some folks said the twin cam cooled was bad and ugly and all of that. They didn't buy one - and it is their right.

So, my point - if you don't like it - perhaps you can just saw - I say it, looks interesting but I think I will stick with whatI have.
You may be onto something here, when the new road glides were released, I was hungry for a new bike, but deep down, didn't want to pay the piper. Something I'm my twisted brain said, no way, never, that's ugly. A year later I bought one, LOL!

I have to say, I haven't seen them yet live and in person, but they have me intrigued. I can't make a move right now since I have only had my bike for 10 months.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 08-26-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:12 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Sorry Bro, but if I wanted to I could have written a check for all three that they had in stock and trailered them home today.

Whether you like it or not, to me, that motor is funky lookin' and that's all there is to it.

You really don't need to suggest how I say things, either. I'll reciprocate.

Maybe proofread your posts, too, huh?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Sorry Bro, but if I wanted to I could have written a check for all three that they had in stock and trailered them home today.

Whether you like it or not, to me, that motor is funky lookin' and that's all there is to it.

You really don't need to suggest how I say things, either. I'll reciprocate.

Maybe proofread your posts, too, huh?
Having looked at the 2017's and test rode a SGS,I have to agree with you about the motor.Sure it seems to pull a little better,but its doesn't feel like my 2016 SGS. And Like you,if it had appealed to me ,I would of traded on the spot.And to cycle 7447,I think your post was not neccessary.

Last edited by GTK; 08-26-2016 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpooch00 (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

It can't mean that he just doesn't like it?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

i bought my 2016 SGS in march and made the mods I wanted and am very happy with it but if i had the desire for a 2017 i could afford it i think my 103 does every thing i need and it doesn't sound like a jap-ish bike my VTX 1800 doesn't sound like one either the 4 bikes in my basement is enough by the way the other 2 are vintage triumphs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, I saw a 107 bike today...