Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first take on the Milwaukee 8

Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Firefighter10325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first take on the Milwaukee 8

So Saturday me and some friends wen to the local dealership for a cookout and demo ride. I took the Street Glide out while my buddy took the Road Glide. When we stopped at the first red light, we immediately noticed absolutely no vibration from the bike, NONE. It was almost like sitting on a Honda. That was pretty impressive. The second thing I noticed was the shifting seemed to be tighter and a lot quieter. There was no clanging into first or shifting throughout, just smooth and firm. The power of the 107 seemed to be stretched out more throughout the curve rather than all low end.
I was curious as to how my 14 street glide would do against the 107 so we decided to line them up. My 14 has Squeeks Big Twin exhaust, a stage 1 air cleaner, and the FP3. The first 17 I raced was bone stock, after 2 passes, my 14 left the 17 behind. I was quite impressed given how I keep hearing the 17 is 10% quicker than the 103.
Once returned to the shop, the owner of the dealership came out and was asking about the comparison. He then informed me that he had a 17 across the street that already had CFR's and a stage one kit installed. After some **** talking, we decided to try this race out again with a 17 that had the same add ons as mine.
1st pass was fairly even up to 60mph, then I left him. The 2nd pass was from a stop at the red light, when it hit green, we took off. my 103 got ahead and never looked back. When we returned to the shop, everyone was expecting the 107 to have spanked me, but to the contrary, the owner admitted that my 103 easily beat the Milwaukee 8!!

Needless to say, my 14 Street Glide with the 103 will remain in my garage for the time being!!!

The following users liked this post:
Cossack84 (11-04-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks for sharing that....impressive!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I just checked again.... how can ANYONE have after market exhausts on a Milwaukee 8 already when they don't exist. I bought mine Friday and the first thing I asked was about exhaust pipes. when I got home, I did a little online searching and they are flat out not available. Can I get your dealers phone number so I can inquire?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
I just checked again.... how can ANYONE have after market exhausts on a Milwaukee 8 already when they don't exist. I bought mine Friday and the first thing I asked was about exhaust pipes. when I got home, I did a little online searching and they are flat out not available. Can I get your dealers phone number so I can inquire?
I saw a new bike here locally with V&H high outputs. Guy apparently can weld and stuff. Said he just made a coupler/adapter out of exhaust pipe and a hydraulic pipe expander or something.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

the two exhaust have different diameters (ie the coupler), but he is probably getting all kinds of engine codes by doing something like that. welding something up like you describe makes zero sense after paying that much for the bike. I want something "legit" not something like that. I guess the dealer could do something along those lines, but that sounds shady at best.

The following 2 users liked this post by jclax01:
Mxdad (08-29-2016), Rydefree (11-06-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 AM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Well.....me personally, I would never upgrade a car, truck, bike, etc. Solely on a small increase in power. Cause if you like the bike you're on, 126" motor is a lot cheaper. Just saying.

Also, who tuned both bikes? A dealership tune may not provide what a dyno tune can deliver.

So while I find this interesting. I know someone can make that 107" a rocket. Just a matter of time.

All in all......I do believe o.p. & it is what it is. Happy for all with new bike. Should be a solid platform to build from.

One other thought.....the stage one on the Rushmore is badass. Maybe the tune for the M8 isn't as solid a performer. With that little epa situation and all. Who knows.

Last edited by jt metal; 08-29-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:10 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Harley has some slip on mufflers on their website. They also have this.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...e-ii-power-kit

Old 08-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Firefighter10325
Cruiser

hey bud, this was a complete set up for the 17, not slip ons. They sounded pretty good on the 17, for the little bit I heard them in front of me

Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Firefighter10325
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jt metal
Well.....me personally, I would never upgrade a car, truck, bike, etc. Solely on a small increase in power. Cause if you like the bike you're on, 126" motor is a lot cheaper. Just saying.

Also, who tuned both bikes? A dealership tune may not provide what a dyno tune can deliver.

So while I find this interesting. I know someone can make that 107" a rocket. Just a matter of time.

All in all......I do believe o.p. & it is what it is. Happy for all with new bike. Should be a solid platform to build from.

One other thought.....the stage one on the Rushmore is badass. Maybe the tune for the M8 isn't as solid a performer. With that little epa situation and all. Who knows.
Me and the owner were talking to one of the techs when we got back and from his opinion, as well as mine after the race, is the 103 ho appears to have more low end torque and get up then tapers off after 5th or 6th gear whereas the 107 appears to be more level with the torque throughout the powerband. This may explain why I was able to get a good jump out of the gate... now granted, someone will work this 107 to be better than my 103 undoubtly, but from an out of the box standpoint, im happy with my 14. However I do like the lack of vibration and feel on the 17, this may be corrected on my 103 with better rubber mountings. Who knows. All i know is I still owe 17k on my 103 and it aint gettin traded lol.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:19 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

the two exhaust have different diameters (ie the coupler), but he is probably getting all kinds of engine codes by doing something like that. welding something up like you describe makes zero sense after paying that much for the bike. I want something "legit" not something like that. I guess the dealer could do something along those lines, but that sounds shady at best.
I wasn't telling you the story so you could buy them.... was just sharing how some are running aftermarket exhaust like you asked.

Wasn't a hack job. It's just metal pipes. Ran fine. Guess he didn't want to wait until the aftermarket or HD got their new stuff ready for market.

No codes since it's all after the Cat and no tune was performed. Just got some sound out of it.
Really no different than half the owners out there that change out slipons without doing anything else.
He like most are waiting for Fuelmoto etc to come up with some 2017 tunes/tuner, until then... he's enjoying what he's got (now).

Originally Posted by Firefighter10325
Me and the owner were talking to one of the techs when we got back and from his opinion, as well as mine after the race, is the 103 ho appears to have more low end torque and get up then tapers off after 5th or 6th gear whereas the 107 appears to be more level with the torque throughout the powerband. This may explain why I was able to get a good jump out of the gate... now granted, someone will work this 107 to be better than my 103 undoubtly, but from an out of the box standpoint, im happy with my 14. However I do like the lack of vibration and feel on the 17, this may be corrected on my 103 with better rubber mountings. Who knows. All i know is I still owe 17k on my 103 and it aint gettin traded lol.
If you check the dyno charts running about (fuelmoto, hillside etc) you'll see that the 107 has more torque and HP across the board than your 103. Could be that you are just an excellent racer?

Last edited by lp; 08-29-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first take on the Milwaukee 8