Sponsored by:

2017 Harley Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Default 2017 Harley Suspension

I have a 2014 Ultra Limited and visited my dealership for review of the 2017s.

While I am not interested in the 2017 at this time, what I learned is that the all new suspension from Harley - front and rear can be installed on my 2014. hat got my attention and I am interested in doing that. As I recall, I can get the rear for $430 or so - haven't gotten a price on the front. Front installation is 4 hours - they will do the rear too.

I plan to ride a 2017 today - see if I can feel the difference. My questions to those that have 2017 - is the new suspension noticeable on your long, over the road trips? Did anyone buy a 2017 and decide to change front or rear?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Do yourself a favor and look at aftermarket.

Progressive or Legend cartridges for the front. Onlins or Legend for the rear.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Several posts on this topic have already been posted and beat to death - have you scrolled down or search?
I agree - aftermarket would be a better investment

Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Harley0711 - thanks and yes I have reviewed those topics that were beat to death. I am not sure that the question about installing the new 2017 suspension on a 2014 has been presented. If such has, then, to you, I offer my apologies to you.

I sort of think the new shock system to Harley is just that - new and I don't recall seeing any comparisons. From all that I have read, posters seem to say they like the new ride - and don't recall anyone saying they want to change.

Big Mike - thanks - I am seriously looking at Progressive. With what you proposed - you are saying that it is OK to ix front and rear. Progressive with Legends, etc. Guys, I am the first to say, I just ride and don't do any work on my bike - just want nice ride.

Others may say brands should not be mixed - sort of like mixing tires. I simply don't know but based on the feel of my bike, I believe I need rear only. I just don't knon if there is a real advantage of doing both the front and rear.

Just maybe - and this is a maybe - I should do the rear and when it is time to rebuild the front, that is when I should do the front.
And for these reasons, this is why I come here to you guys - some are experts, some just have opinions - but, all are welcomes.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
load97 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike

Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

OP - Like you I have been very interested in suspension and I have Way over thought it ALL, LOL. I had an 04 for 11 years 82K - got my 15 last year - I run Works performance on the rear and put Progressive springs (only) on the front - for now I and the wife are happy - I rode my 15 to Modesto Harley last week, down 99 and surface roads to the dealer - got on a new 17 Ultra Limited and rode the Very same roads - for ME - I did not see a Large difference? As I said - this topic has been talked about and from what I have 'gleamed' the rear is the same as on the Limited 15's??? the front??? Is that worth three+ hours labor ($100 Per hour) plus parts on the front - ONLY the rider can answer that - the Rear??? as stated by MANY riders - aftermarket is most likely better??? ALL this so very Subjective and if YOU decide to upgrade both front and rear - get ready to drop around 1K. Many of us have done just that and are happy, many have done that MORE than once and still not so happy
So, what 'Cool-aid' will you end up drinking?
good luck and have fun on your quest..
Find a dealer or sales person that will Listen to YOU and build you a shock that fits YOU>.. For me that was Tim at Works - I also called and tried to talk to Howard at Onlin - did not care for his attitude - others like him. Me - Not enough to invest $700

Old 09-12-2016, 11:47 AM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I test rode a 2017 street glide this past Friday. Inside, the dealer had a Road King with the bags off on display. The "new, incredible, best ever" rear suspension is just the Harley Davidson hand-adjustable coil spring shocks that were previously available from the dealer and came stock on a few select bikes (CVO for sure). The front of course we could not see so not sure what improvements were made there. I just recently replaced my stock air shocks with Progressive 944s in the back, nothing done on the front yet. Took the 2017 SG for a spin. The "new" shocks are an improvement over the air shocks, but I still think my 944s are a bit better as there were some road bumps the 2017 felt harsher on than on mine. BUT, that was without making any adjustments to the 2017 shocks. However, I still yet to set the correct sag on my 944s as well. As for the front, I could not tell much of a difference in front-end dive compared to my 2015 RK. As others have stated, you will get better results going after market than with the Harley stuff. How much better depends on your wallet.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:01 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I have a 14 Limited and did the HD front and rear suspension upgrades a few months after I got it. I have been very happy with the results. I had the dealer do the install with chrome lowers at the same time. I agree you can pay more for a more advanced set-up. However, I ride my bike very aggressively, gonna need new floor boards soon enough.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike

I agree, another consideration is the labor charges to install the front end kit. My HD dealer charged me 2 hours to install the Legend AXEO front end kit and the Legend Revo shocks on my 14 Limited. I was told that the Legend kit was pretty easy to install. Another consideration is the time of year for the install. I had mine done in the dead of winter when the shop was slow. They are hungry and happy for any work.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I believe I need rear only. I just don't know if there is a real advantage of doing both the front and rear.
I did the rear first - Ohlins 3-3 from Howard. After riding for a day, a buddy asked how they felt. I replied they felt like the front end is going to cost me some money... Which it did. Legend Axeo. As long as I was in there..... A set of chrome lowers & bells also.

Quick Reply: 2017 Harley Suspension