Sponsored by:

Comm question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by scarin
Thanks again both of you for the input. Not sure I need to get CB as the other riders dont have CBs either and we will all go with same solution so the Senas sound like they will work better. And I prefer a wireless solution rather then a wired one.

As to the Freewire, whats a good mounting location, would like to hide it but i get that you may need access to the button on occassion
It comes with a handlebar mount and a "peel and stick" mount. Someone in another thread said they were going to use some HD com wires (No. 69200865, or a third party equivalent I think) to wire it into the little cubbie next to the radio; note that it would still need power for a "permanent" installation, or just recharge the battery. Another option is something like this harness from Sierra routed to a saddlebag, which appears to be bundled with a freewire if purchased from them. But since the SGS doesn't come stock with a com port on the tank, it may be overkill.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:01 PM
scarin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vince

Did you make a call yet? Happy with the way you went? How's it working?

Larry

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
It comes with a handlebar mount and a "peel and stick" mount. Someone in another thread said they were going to use some HD com wires (No. 69200865, or a third party equivalent I think) to wire it into the little cubbie next to the radio; note that it would still need power for a "permanent" installation, or just recharge the battery. Another option is something like this harness from Sierra routed to a saddlebag, which appears to be bundled with a freewire if purchased from them. But since the SGS doesn't come stock with a com port on the tank, it may be overkill.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Sena is a great sys - however, if you or someone does not have the funds for it... I have a brand new Autocom in the classifieds plus the Autocom I pulled of my 2004 bike that the wife and I used and it still works great plus Many spare cables and headsets - all for a 'C' note - its a great way to talk to each other and not have to invest a fortune. Again, Sena is great put can be pricey.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rice-drop.html

Old 01-15-2017, 08:54 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Your 14 SGS came with the Boom Box 6.5? Why not install the Harley 7 pin plug for rider and passenger
Just to clarify, this only adds the ability for the rider to communicate with the 6.5 radio. Harley does not have a setup to allow the rider and passenger to communicate with each other using the intercom on the Streetglide like they do for prior year models. There is a couple of threads in this forum where people have done this but they had to wire it up themselves and/or use the passenger push to talk switch module from an Ultra to get the CAN BUS to recognize the passenger connection. I also saw a thread where one person replaced the whole wiring harness with one from a limited just for that reason.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by scarin
Vince

Did you make a call yet? Happy with the way you went? How's it working?

Larry
I did some cocktail napkin math and decided to pick up the Sierra Electronics bundle I linked to earlier (but seems to no longer be available). The cost of the Freewire is marginal over the cost of the Sena Harley Clamp for 20s or scrapping the wireless (which I'm quite happy with) all-together and buying an all new wired full-face com unit (which I don't want).

So far, the Freewire is working as advertised. BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR HEADSET. I forgot to, and it would just not work right. I have not installed the extended harness yet.

I would say that my biggest complaints are 1. trying to find the right balance on two different volume ***** (bike head unit and the headset), 2. The phone call audio is a little quiet (could be an extension of #1) and I haven't figured out how to turn off side-tone on calls (I don't want to hear myself) and 3.when the bike sends navigation directions to the headset, the radio mutes (this may be more on the bike than the FW).

The last thing to figure out is how to make my 20s play nice with my phone when I ride my radio-less Dyna, without screwing up the settings for my Ultra.

TL;DR: Freewire is a great addition to my setup, especially when you factor in that I already owned the 20s.

PS.... sorry for the delay.

Last edited by VinceTheArchitect; 01-16-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: formatting