Sponsored by:

Changing tuners good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:45 PM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Changing tuners good?

So I was just thinking.... my bike has a full stage one and was tuned by the dealer using the SE Super Tuner. Would I get different (better) results if I decided to try a power vision or fp3?

I never liked that my dealer told me they just use the super tuner and make it as good as it can get and that there wasn't any "levels" of settings that it could be set to. If that was thyou case then why does hd make 2 separate tuners?!

Anyway... could I see performance improvements or anything?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a Power Commander V on my 2001 Heritage Springer EFI and the FP3 on my 2014 FLHTP. I like the interface of the FP3 and the ease of programming. And the autotune. PowerVision has those things available as well, but at a much higher price. That said, the high HP guys all seem to be using the PowerVision, so there must be something about it that the heavily modified guys like better. For me the FP3 is everything the bike needs now (exhaust/intake), and with the type of modifications I am likely to do in the future (cams, heads, etc).

Ride Safe.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Mr D
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanG
So I was just thinking.... my bike has a full stage one and was tuned by the dealer using the SE Super Tuner. Would I get different (better) results if I decided to try a power vision or fp3?

I never liked that my dealer told me they just use the super tuner and make it as good as it can get and that there wasn't any "levels" of settings that it could be set to. If that was thyou case then why does hd make 2 separate tuners?!

Anyway... could I see performance improvements or anything?
Recommended would be a flash tuner (SEST, TTS, PV) but really lies in the hands & expertise of the tuner & which software his skill level is in...how close are you to here? http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/

Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

There has been a lot of discussions in regards to this. Check them out. When I was doing my research I learned there maybe two types. Basic one that works with factory large o2 sensors. Does a good job for the average tech or DIY person. The second uses a smaller sensor and possibly along with factory sensors to get a broader range of fuel to air mixture which the HI Tech Dyno people read on an average day.
Anyway I went with the FP3, plug and play, very easy install. It allows you to use your droid or Iphone to adjust settings of your bike. The FP3 once calibrated to the bike is married to that bike only. You can make a lot of adjustments to your bike via the phone. I am happy with it and it has helped my bike performance a lot.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I think that depends on the expertise of the tuner (person tuning), A good tuner would be fine, but a not so good, you might want the FP3, or a tune from an experianced good tuner, If you think you got a bad tune, try the fp3, you can always reload the original tune , if you want

Old 12-16-2016, 08:14 PM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D
Recommended would be a flash tuner (SEST, TTS, PV) but really lies in the hands & expertise of the tuner & which software his skill level is in...how close are you to here? http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/
This is by far the best advice you will ever get when it comes to getting you bike to run like it should!!

For those that think using a FP3 is tuning your bike , try taking you bike to a Skilled Dyno Tuner and I bet that FP3 will find a New Home in the Trash Can!!

The following users liked this post:
Mr D (12-16-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GEORGEW
This is by far the best advice you will ever get when it comes to getting you bike to run like it should!!

For those that think using a FP3 is tuning your bike , try taking you bike to a Skilled Dyno Tuner and I bet that FP3 will find a New Home in the Trash Can!!
Sound advice right there but let's not forget them boy's from J&B Performance in East Tn as far as tuning goes either !!!! If the dyno tuners are good at what they do then the tune they will give you with a Power Vision or the equivalent of will out weigh the FP3 2 to 1 I'll assure you !!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:16 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I have owned HD super tuner and still have the software.I had an FP3 on My last bike.I have the HD street tuner on the bike, I now own.Comparing the numbers of all 3 tuners,I find them to be identical.So buying an FP3 will do nothing for Your tune.If You buy the software and cables and have any knowledge of tuning,You can make the bike perform better.Easiest upgrade is changing AFR to 14.0 and do a Smart tune with the Super tuner.
If this is all beyond Your skill,then Dynotuning is the answer.You do have to understand that the maps for all tuners are made by dynotuning.So they are all similar.The tuner tries to get performance and gas mileage at optimum.If You tune for great perfomance ,You lose gas mileage.Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:24 PM
Chuck U. Farley
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the ThunderMax, It woke up the beast and unleashed its inner soul.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:08 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

who knows what the dealer did to the new map, adding a piggyback tuner will likely hurt unless the ecm is returned to a stock tune.