Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanblack Lower Fairing Review

Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 AM
r2t2k2
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
As an aside - are they benefits or drawbacks to the pre-Rushmore lowers versus the Rushmore ones? To mount to a Rushmore? A friend got the Rushmore ones, but says he liked his old pre-Rushmore ones better (said they vented better).
you will have to trim the pre-Rushmore lowers to make them fit and they have a different shape. The pre has a more pointed front profile where the Rushmore is flatter/blunter. I prefer the vent operation on the Rushmore and my experience is that when closed the pre will still allow a bit more air to push through. I think the Rushmore lowers look better on the Road Glide. I also found that the mounting hardware is better on the Advan Black than what was on the aftermarket pre lowers.

The following 2 users liked this post by r2t2k2:
cabojunkie (12-23-2016), QNman (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:44 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by r2t2k2
you will have to trim the pre-Rushmore lowers to make them fit and they have a different shape. The pre has a more pointed front profile where the Rushmore is flatter/blunter. I prefer the vent operation on the Rushmore and my experience is that when closed the pre will still allow a bit more air to push through. I think the Rushmore lowers look better on the Road Glide. I also found that the mounting hardware is better on the Advan Black than what was on the aftermarket pre lowers.
Thank you!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 PM
azgrumbles
Road Captain

Received 281 Likes on 140 Posts

Installed mine today! I went with the blue and they look great. A few minor imperfections but the paint is perfect. The plastic by the vents is a little warped but doesn't effect performance. The doors are light and flimsy. Not sure how long they will last but they work fine. No instructions included but I figured it out. Overall I'm satisfied since they're over $300 less than HD. Here's a few pics.

Very well packaged
Slight warpage of the door
Slight warpage in vent opening

Paint matches nicely
Looks good and they perform well

The following 2 users liked this post by azgrumbles:
Durango Dave (10-01-2018), MTBIG G (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Great reviews guys. Thanks! Been thinking of getting these for the king.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 AM
QNman
Supporter

That looks great! Good write up too. My Black Quartz ones are sitting in the garage waiting for me to have time to install them. They LOOK Pretty dang good!! Now I can't wait to get mine installed too!!

What bars are those, and what height?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

They look great & you have an awesome wife!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM
azgrumbles
Road Captain

Received 281 Likes on 140 Posts

That looks great! Good write up too. My Black Quartz ones are sitting in the garage waiting for me to have time to install them. They LOOK Pretty dang good!! Now I can't wait to get mine installed too!!

What bars are those, and what height?
Thanks. Those are 14 inch Factory 47 Malo bars. No extra wiring or cables needed on the RG.

The following users liked this post:
QNman (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 PM
JAMESAK51
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As an aside - are they benefits or drawbacks to the pre-Rushmore lowers versus the Rushmore ones? To mount to a Rushmore? A friend got the Rushmore ones, but says he liked his old pre-Rushmore ones better (said they vented better).

I went with the pre-rushmore on my 14 SG and they fit perfect!! The charcoal pearl was also a perfect match, very satisfied!!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
QNman
Supporter

My take on the lowers:

• They install just as quickly and easily as the stock HD lowers.
  • The lower panels don't feel cheap or thin; they feel really solid, like the stock HD ones on my 2010 Ultra.
  • I really like the Rushmore style better than the pre-Rushmore; they just look better.
  • The doors on the compartments, while handy, don't close and open as I had hoped. The mechanism feels cheap and "plasticky". The left one takes a couple tries to open or close. That said, the Harley ones don't have a doored compartment here, so...
  • The "inner" part of the lowers, the texture looks OK, but I would have preferred it was finer "grained", like the Harley ones.
  • As noted previously, the vent openings are a little warped, but the doors operate well enough, and the vents work as expected.
All said and done, was it worth saving $300 to go with the Advanblack? IMHO, absolutely!

Sorry, no pictures yet.

ETA: One thing missing - ANY instruction whatsoever. Not a biggie for me, as I've had lowers before. But for a rank amateur, a single folded pamphlet with pictogram instructions may be helpful. I know it's a video on the website, but I don't have a computer in my garage, so...

Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how these compared to the fairing factory ones

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advanblack Lower Fairing Review