Sponsored by:

Garmin GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Garmin GPS

Is there any way to go into any GPS and turn up the screen so you can actually see it in the daylight?
I have an older Nuva, I don't need all the other fancy B.S. that the new stuff has I just want to see it during the day. And yes its turned up all the way now.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 PM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

You can try glarestomper. It helped on my Zumo 550 but if the sun is beating directly on the screen, you will have visibility issues. Wearing dark clothing also helps.

https://www.glarestomper.com/

Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Guess I should have sprung for the extra $750 at purchase and got the 6.5 for what a good GPS costs its not that much more.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

I made my own glarestopper that is way better than that and still don't like it.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:36 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Glare is a real problem with my Zumo 550 also. The BoomBox in the batwing fairing of my TK is great as far as sun glare goes. In 23K miles of riding I can recall ever having a glare issue with it. I've read that the Sharks have a bit of an issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
jkghdrider
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a Garmin NUVI 1300 which you can turn up the brightness on by going into: Tools, Settings, Display & last but not least brightness... Still issues in sunlight depending on the angle you set it at... Hope this helps ya out!

Old 01-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Just Me
Is there any way to go into any GPS and turn up the screen so you can actually see it in the daylight?
I have an older Nuva, I don't need all the other fancy B.S. that the new stuff has I just want to see it during the day. AND YES ITS TURNED UP ALL THE WAY
You can turn up the brightness on by going into: Tools, Settings, Display & last but not least brightness... Still issues in sunlight depending on the angle you set it at... Hope this helps ya out![/QUOTE]

Old 01-14-2017, 06:01 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Nuvi's aren't made to be seen in direct sunlight. They are made for a covered area in your car and are excellent for there intended use. I have a Zumo and its my 3rd one, 550, 665 & 590 all have been excellent in the sun if placed at correct angle and as was mentioned wear dark colthing as lighter colors, white, yellow reflect back on screen. All mine have been manufactured for specific use on motorcycles, yes you pay more but you get what you pay for. If you want a steak don't buy a hamburger and expect the same thing.

The following users liked this post:
TriGeezer (03-13-2020)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
roc2it
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by imskier2
Nuvi's aren't made to be seen in direct sunlight. They are made for a covered area in your car and are excellent for there intended use. I have a Zumo and its my 3rd one, 550, 665 & 590 all have been excellent in the sun if placed at correct angle and as was mentioned wear dark colthing as lighter colors, white, yellow reflect back on screen. All mine have been manufactured for specific use on motorcycles, yes you pay more but you get what you pay for. If you want a steak don't buy a hamburger and expect the same thing.
Problem is I already bought the steak and they gave me hamburger. I got a 2015 TKL and I'm sorry but the GPS isnt all that it should be. Yep I plan my routes and use it but my old Nuvi did a better job. And now they are asking 899.99 for a 5 inch Garmin model. Damn. I almost think that this summer I will pick up a Garmin Drivesmart 60LMT and a bracket and strap it on. Updated maps for free. Yep. Traffic. Yep. The GPS on the bike had us going in a big loop around where we wanted to go in Green Bay. My buds Garmin told us to knock it off with the foreplay. Anyone use this model? Waterproof bag for it? I think this might be the way to go. And no I'm not a map kinda guy. I get close with a map. Always had a GPS to help with the end of a trip. Thats just me. And dont jump all over me for stating my 2C. I know there is map guys out there and there are also people that love the bikes GPS. I'm just not either of those. Have a great day!

Old 01-15-2017, 12:25 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I use a glare shield on my Nuvi'. It helps but it still can be difficult to see in bright sunlit conditions.

For those that put down using a GPS, how many have more than one tool in their toolbox? It's just a tool to be used as needed. Most of the time (on the bike) I don't use it to get me to my destination so much as to find gas stations, food, lodging, etc. It's also great for riding unfamiliar roads at night. I can tell which way the road is going turn before I get there. It came in very handy last July when I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway after dark, in fog and heavy rain for 80 miles. (The fog was so heavy that visibility was probably only about 100 feet.)

I find that it's easier to see the speed readout on the GPS as it's mounted up on the handlebar. I don't have to bend my head down to see the console mounted speedometer. Plus, it tells me the speed limit on the road that I'm currently on.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS