Sponsored by:

Road Glide (Sit “Lo” but not “Forward”) Seat Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Cyclenby
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Glide (Sit “Lo” but not “Forward”) Seat Recommendation

I am not sure how best to ask the question but will try to describe what I am seeking…

What I liked about my Fatboy Lo was not just about “the low” (I am 5’11’ plenty of reach) but how you sat down in the motorcycle versus on top. I want to somehow lower the center of gravity and sit down lower if that is possible on my 2015 RGS.

I don’t want the shorter reach seat that moves me down “and forward” (remember 5’11”) just seeking the lower sitting position. Basically, I like the RGS but want to take some of the “top” out of top heavy.

Thinking maybe trying a different seat to make my riding not only more comfortable but a little more controllable. Hopefully there is someone out there who gets my meaning and recommend a seat that will do the trick. I know a seat won't actually change the center of gravity but maybe make the ride and handling feel a little different - dare I say "Lo".

Thanks All!

Old 01-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Getting a new seat or modding the stock seat is the only way. The difference in frames is why you feel like you're now sitting on the bike, rather than in it like you did on the Softail.

Mean City Cycles can mod your stock seat to drop you down some. (I believe there are other companies that do this, MCC is one that is praised on the forum though).

A lot of aftermarket seats will achieve the same thing. C&C is one that is consistently recommended for a seat that will get you a little lower than stock but it will also move you back a little.

I traded my '06 Night Train in on a '16 Road Glide Special last summer so I know exactly what you're talking about. The feel is totally different. I'm going to be ordering a seat from C&C to drop me down and move me back a little. I like to be more stretched out like I was on the NT. As for modding the stock seat...I got a quote from MCC and after shipping charges, I decided to just throw a little extra money in and get a new seat, that I know will be what I want since I had a C&C solo on my NT, rather than take the gamble and find the modded stock seat wasn't what I was looking for.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 01-12-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Cyclenby (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Cyclenby
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Getting a new seat or modding the stock seat is the only way. The difference in frames is why you feel like you're now sitting on the bike, rather than in it like you did on the Softail.

Mean City Cycles can mod your stock seat to drop you down some. (I believe there are other companies that do this, MCC is one that is praised on the forum though).

I traded my '06 Night Train in on a '16 Road Glide Special last summer so I know exactly what you're talking about. The feel is totally different..
You do know what I am talking about - I just emailed Allen at MCC to see what he suggests and will decide from there based on price and options.

Did not see anywhere on their site where they sell seats except for DRAG catalog links? Yes, with shipping I have to decide what is the best price option.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclenby
I am not sure how best to ask the question but will try to describe what I am seeking… What I liked about my Fatboy Lo was not just about “the low” (I am 5’11’ plenty of reach) but how you sat down in the motorcycle versus on top. I want to somehow lower the center of gravity and sit down lower if that is possible on my 2015 RGS. I don’t want the shorter reach seat that moves me down “and forward” (remember 5’11”) just seeking the lower sitting position. Basically, I like the RGS but want to take some of the “top” out of top heavy. Thinking maybe trying a different seat to make my riding not only more comfortable but a little more controllable. Hopefully there is someone out there who gets my meaning and recommend a seat that will do the trick. I know a seat won't actually change the center of gravity but maybe make the ride and handling feel a little different - dare I say "Lo". Thanks All!
I think your Road Glide has the same seat as a Street Glide, correct? That's what I put on my Limited for solo riding to lower my ride height.

What will give you a much more "planted" feeling is lowering the front suspension. Does the road Glide already have the shorter rear shocks like the street Glide? If not you'll need to do that along with the lower fork. I put the HD single cartridge low fork on mine along with Progressive 944 shocks. It transformed the bike's handling. A firmer ride but much more controlled and you get that feeling of sitting IN the bike much more.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclenby
You do know what I am talking about - I just emailed Allen at MCC to see what he suggests and will decide from there based on price and options.

Did not see anywhere on their site where they sell seats except for DRAG catalog links? Yes, with shipping I have to decide what is the best price option.
MCC doesn't necessarily sell seats (except the catalog seats I'm guessing). Their specialty is taking your stock seat apart and modifying it, then sending it back to you.

For aftermarket seats, such as Lepera, Mustang, etc, you can look at any motorcycle parts retailer. C&C seats are mostly sold direct, or through Side Road Cycles.

I was not aware of the frame drop kit like was posted above either so that's a nice spendy option also.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

This september I went from a Fatboy Lo to a RGU. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about... though I'm also a bit shorter and did want a more planted foot feeling as well. I tried the Ultra Low seat and did not like it at all for the shoved forward reason. I sent my stock RGU seat to MeanCity and am MORE than pleased with the outcome. Not only am I sank down a bit, and ONLY down, but they replaced mine and the passenger foam with memory foam and it's truly a more comfortable seat over all. Plus if you really wanna you can have em fancy it up with stitching or colored thread and the like! (I did not, but hey, you can!)

Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

A lot cheaper to let MCC mod your existing seat than to purchase a different seat which may not be to your liking. MCC did my SGS seat and I am very happy with the results.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

The common line softies use is they sit in the bike and not on it. You can ditch the seat and sit on the frame, Still not going to feel like your soft tail. Trying to make a bike something its not never works out well. I would stick with the basics, seat and bars for your size and let the awesome touring chassis grow on you.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 AM
jiml53
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm using the CVO Streetglide two piece seat for that lower and back. Here's a picture for reference.

Jim

Quick Reply: Road Glide (Sit “Lo” but not “Forward”) Seat Recommendation