Sponsored by:

My 2017 Road trip is set

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default My 2017 Road trip is set

Debated between Nashville or New Orleans. I know quite the difference in miles from PA. But decided on Nashville since I have talked to many people that warned me on the heat and humidity in LA even as early as May.

This trip will be about 1500 miles round trip, and we are rideing it 2 days down, and 2 days back. And will be staying 4nights in Nashville.

We wanted a destination to land us somewhere known for great live music, I think Nashville fills the bill.

Will be staying near the Grand ole Opry, and the place we reserved has a shuttle to down town for when we want to do some drinking. While we are there, gotta go to the Jack Daniels distillery. Figure on a day trip down to it.

What are some must do places for good live music? Or other local sites to see?

Also, looks like my carry permit in PA is legal in TN. Just checking to see how the places (bars/taverns) are with this. Do they run metal detectors at the doors? Will I run into any issues with the law for concealed carry?

Sorry lots of questions, any info is appreciated..

Last edited by steelerdude1; 02-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:16 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

You can bring a gun in a bar in Va, but you cannot drink. I like to drink too much, so I leave my weapon at home.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Debated between Nashville or New Orleans. I know quite the difference in miles from PA. But decided on Nashville since I have talked to many people that warned me on the heat and humidity in LA even as early as May.

This trip will be about 1500 miles round trip, and we are rideing it 2 days down, and 2 days back. And will be staying 4nights in Nashville.

We wanted a destination to land us somewhere known for great live music, I think Nashville fills the bill.

Will be staying near the Grand ole Opry, and the place we reserved has a shuttle to down town for when we want to do some drinking. While we are there, gotta go to the Jack Daniels distillery. Figure on a day trip down to it.

What are some must do places for good live music? Or other local sites to see?

Also, looks like my carry permit in PA is legal in TN. Just checking to see how the places (bars/taverns) are with this. Do they run metal detectors at the doors? Will I run into any issues with the law for concealed carry?

Sorry lots of questions, any info is appreciated..
I have never came across a bar in TN with metal detectors, if there is no sign prohibiting guns you are free to CC. Property owners are allowed to post no gun signs in their bars/restaurant and many in Nashville do have such signs posted. In some States such as where I live the no gun signs carry no force of law, another words if you carry in an establishment that has a no guns sign you will not be arrested but will be asked to leave, if you refuse then you are charged with trespass. In TN the signs do carry the weight of law and you will be charged if you carry in an establishment with a no gun sign

Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts

Good choice. New Orleans is a **** hole. I'll be heading through Nashville on my way up to Lincoln, NE in May. Gonna take my time and enjoy the scenery.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

Not sure you need a gun on Broadway at night...just cash....

Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

If you're planning on a trip to the Country Music Hall of Fame they have a sign at the door saying no firearms allowed. I got stuck in that predicament, I was parked blocks away so I didn't want to walk all the way back, didn't want to leave the gun in the car anyway so I just carried in my pocket (a small S&W .38), no problems and no metal detector. Been there twice, a VERY cool place. Open air bars, plenty of aspiring Country stars playing good ole Country music and VERY pretty ladies, something about a lady with a cowboy hat and boots...enjoy!

Edit...and if you go to the CMHOF, pay the extra and take the bus tour, they take you up and show you the studio where Elvis and many early Country stars broke in and recorded, you can get a photo at the piano where Elvis performed. Also the link below, not exactly Country but also very cool...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14603

Edit #2...and don't forget to visit the Ryman Auditorium, check the schedule which usually comes out weekly, sometimes you'll get lucky and catch a big star doing a show there. They'll just show up at the last minute, announce a show and perform...

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 02-20-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Be very careful of the states you stop in to fuel and sleep. You can't lock the weapon in the bike as no state feels that is secure, and can't carry it on your person..
I have the same dilemma. Riding from Boston to Montana to ride the Bear Tooth Hgwy. I have a Ma. and Ut. CCP but some of the states I have to go thru won't honor either..
Enjoy the trip, but be safe...

Old 02-20-2017, 06:56 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

This might help...

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Seems like if he goes through West Virginia and Kentucky he should be O.K., just gotta watch that small area of Maryland...

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 02-20-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM
ringer1969
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

i been to both cities recently - Nashville ten time over - better , cleaner , much safer . No offence to those that live in New Orleans as they have been through a lot over the years , but that donesnt excuse the filth . enjoy your trip

Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Johnny Cash Museum

The following users liked this post:
steelerdude1 (02-20-2017)

Quick Reply: My 2017 Road trip is set