Sponsored by:

Are CVO mufflers the answer

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM
PostalRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are CVO mufflers the answer

I'm currently running a stock 2014 FLHTK with a decatted header. I'm wanting a little deeper tone, not loud, along with a more efficient running engine. I can't afford to do it all at once so I was thinking of putting on a set of CVO mufflers first and then when I can afford it doing the Harley stage 1 kit with an FP3.

For those that have done it, will the CVO mufflers give me what I am looking for?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

CVO cans with Fullsac CVO Baffles (choice of size baffles) Fullsac Sleeves will do the trick!

Mellow at idle and cruise, nice rumble when right hand does the twist!

FYI,
1.75" Baffles are a tat louder then stock CVO cans.
2.00" Baffles are probably the best performance baffle and most popular.
2.25" Baffles are better for bigger motors and are the loudest of the bunch.

I have used Fullsac 2.00", 2.25", and 2.50" (No longer available) baffles.

For the money, performance of Fullsac Baffles, combined with the looks of the CVO cans, you really can't beat them!

YB

Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts

My dealer talked me into the Screaming Eagle slip ons when we purchased a new bike last July. The wife loved them from day one. I Liked the tone but wanted a little more volume. Much to my surprise with 5k miles on the clock these things have really came to life. Just the right sound for cruising and twist the throttle and they really bark. I am really glad I went this way.

Attached Thumbnails Are CVO mufflers the answer-img_3521.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

The answer to your question IMO is simply NO.
I was going to go that route and am soooo glad I didn't.
CVO cans themselves do almost nothing noticeable and when you do the Fulsac thing yes you do get a different sound but are they the panacea I don't think so.
Find a slip on you like the sound of and go with it.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

You may find they are actually quieter than stock since they are much larger. I tried them before and they sound deeper than stock when you are off the bike. I then did the fullsac mod to them and the drone on the highway drove me nuts so I yanked them off and sold them. I have he SE High Flow system now which is essentially the Street Cannon but with the cats relocated to the muffler. Sound is superb.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

I really like the look and the sound of the CVOs and they have the EPA stamp on em (LOL)...Tried the baffles, too loud, back to stock, just right...

Attached Thumbnails Are CVO mufflers the answer-img_1042.jpg  

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 02-20-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

I run CVO cans with 2" baffles. No sleeves. Gives a nice deep rumble and they have plenty of back pressure for good power. They work good with the cat still installed or with no cat head pipes. I do wish there were different caps available for the ends however.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I sure like mine. Slightly louder but more of a deeper tone than loud. Now with 6K on them they are louder than when new but still ok with me.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I had Rush Big Louies with 2.50 baffles with Vance & Hines Power Duals, swapped them from my RK to my Limited when I bought it in Nov. On the RK, they were perfect. On the Limited, I found them too loud. I think the tour pak causes some reverberation that was driving me nuts. Bought some CVO, stock baffles. Put them on the Limited and hated them. Too quiet and it sounds like a damn sewing machine. Thought about getting the fullsac baffles but wasn't sure how they would sound. So, I went back to my Big Louies and put in 2.00 baffles. Still have the deep tone I loved from the Big Louies but not as loud and without the drone of the 2.5 baffles.

Long story short, as has been suggested, find a slip-on with the sound you like by listening to what others have at a bike night or at the dealer and go with that. It may be the stock CVO cans, it may be something else.

If you do decide you want the CVO cans, PM me as I will be putting mine up for sale ere shortly.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I LOVE the CVO mufflers with the Fuel Moto 2-1-2 head pipe (no cat).
Louder and deeper than the stock ones that came on my bike, a VERY pleasing tone that does nor annoy on the highway. You're going to need a tuner.
After they break in the sound gets louder so I would just leave them stock for a season before replacing baffles or replacing the mufflers with something else.

Quick Reply: Are CVO mufflers the answer