Sponsored by:

Problem Solvers Wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 PM
FireFighter200
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
From that angle then, it looks like the bars are slightly turned to the right. I don't see any disparity between the fairing and the rest of the front end, it all looks lined up from the neck out perspective. Have any video from someone following the bike? I think it would be interesting to see how it tracks.
No but that is not a bad idea. As far as it tracking, it does goes fairly straight but you still notice a gap difference. One a side note, would you be willing to measure your side to side measurements? I figure you have a 14 Amber Whisky SG and I have a 14 Amber Whisky SGS, they should match.

Originally Posted by mustang8998
After looking at the video and the comments about fork alignment, I agree with them.

My Sportster did the same thing and loosening the clamps and aligning the front wheel solved the problem.
Originally Posted by Longridertx
My money is on the fork alignment. Do what jpooch recommended.
I do have a question on the front fork process. I have had my forks completely out of the front end and even rebuilt them using a mono tube setup. When they are out, the top triple tree can turn independently of the bottom. When I slide the forks up into both trees and follow the process, how is that going to re-align them in the assesembly when the trees are locked together with the fork tube?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by FireFighter200
No but that is not a bad idea. As far as it tracking, it does goes fairly straight but you still notice a gap difference. One a side note, would you be willing to measure your side to side measurements? I figure you have a 14 Amber Whisky SG and I have a 14 Amber Whisky SGS, they should match.

If I remember tonight I'll go out and put a tape measure to it. Are you talking about the highway bar measurement?

I do know that your rear wheel (not the swingarm but the wheel itself) can be off 1 or 2 degrees and cause that much difference in your bars/fairing and it's really easy for it to happen if someone has had the wheel off and didn't get the disk exactly right. I am sure that there is a post and/or video on how to do that. I have never done it myself but luckily both shops that put rear tires on my bike got it back on correctly. If you haven't had a rear tire replaced then it could be a little off from the factory.

As far as fork alignment, I am curious on that as well.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

I am a little slow but starting to put all the pieces together on this one. You are measuring from the rear axle nut to the highway bar and it's off 3/16". I would check the rear tire alignment before I did anything else. My guess is that the rear tire is 3/16" out of alignment.

3/16" over roughly 18" is about 1 degree so barely noticable by sight.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 02-23-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM
FireFighter200
Cruiser

If I remember tonight I'll go out and put a tape measure to it. Are you talking about the highway bar measurement?
I am a little slow but starting to put all the pieces together on this one. You are measuring from the rear axle nut to the highway bar and it's off 3/16". I would check the rear tire alignment before I did anything else. My guess is that the rear tire is 3/16" out of alignment.

3/16" over roughly 18" is about 1 degree so barely noticable by sight.
I am measuring from the center of the axel to the center of the crash bar. On the 2014 and newer models, there is no adjustment on the rear wheel as Harley switched to a uniform cam adjustment. So there is no way to adjust the rear wheel side to side in the swingarm.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Harley switched to a uniform cam adjustment. So there is no way to adjust the rear wheel side to side in the swingarm.

You should be able to use the cam adjuster...they should operate independently. Take a pic of both sides.

By the way, just spitballing here. I love a good puzzle.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM
FireFighter200
Cruiser

You should be able to use the cam adjuster...they should operate independently. Take a pic of both sides.

By the way, just spitballing here. I love a good puzzle.
I appreciate the help. This has puzzled me for quite some time.

The cam adjusters on both sides lock into a machine area on the axel so there is no way to miss align the rear wheel. They provide even tension on both sides of the swingarm.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

I appreciate the help. This has puzzled me for quite some time.

The cam adjusters on both sides lock into a machine area on the axel so there is no way to miss align the rear wheel. They provide even tension on both sides of the swingarm.

Ok, yeah, I pulled up a YouTube vid and see how that all works. Good learning opportunity here if you do get it figured out. I'll take a measurement on my highway bar just to compare. I have dropped mine in a parking lot so expect it to be off, should be interesting.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

If your rear wheel is in alignment, just Google "how to align front forks" and you find videos explaining the procedure. You may find it being done to a different brand, but it is the same procedure.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:46 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I'll have to give that a try once I get the bike back.

According to the dealer and the motor company, the faring is aligned correct. However I still have an alignment issue as seen in the video.

I'll have to give that a try once I get the bike back.

The dealer has checked them and no problems were found.

I wish the motor company rep who came out to inspect my bike did more than just give his opinion. Maybe he would have found the problem instead of arguing with me.

The bike seems to track straight. I also checked the rear wheel and everything seems to be inline. I also checked to see if I was getting any uneven drive belt wear, which there is none.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I will be trying some stuff this weekend and I'll keep you all posted. On a side note, does anybody know of a shop in the Pittsburgh or surrounding area that could put a second set of eyes on it? Just incase I am missing something.
I see that you determined that the bike tracks straight. The fork legs being out of parallel is really about the only thing that would be left that would give the symptoms shown in the vid. That or the triple tree itself is mis-machined and is causing them to be not-parallel.

Try looking at the tip of your front fender and see if it's perfectly centered over the tire. I'm betting that you'll find that it's offset to the left a little bit.

Regardless, I'd certainly try the loosening the pinch bolts, axle pinch bolt and the fender attachment bolts (forgot that before) and twisting the bars/fairing back-to-straight approach. Zero cost, easy to do and can't hurt to check. Just be sure to remember to tighten EVERYTHING back to spec when you're done!

I'll bet that this will fix it. It fixed both of my H-D's that had the identical symptoms.

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-23-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 AM
FireFighter200
Cruiser

Ok, yeah, I pulled up a YouTube vid and see how that all works. Good learning opportunity here if you do get it figured out. I'll take a measurement on my highway bar just to compare. I have dropped mine in a parking lot so expect it to be off, should be interesting.
Any luck on getting a measurement?

Quick Reply: Problem Solvers Wanted...