Originally Posted by rv7garage
Hilarious, Troll

photo hosting sites

Old 02-22-2017, 07:30 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JLG
I have a 2016 Ultra Limited that came with the heated grips. I've added a heated seat. My wife & I are considering buying heated jackets or jacket liners. Is there any danger of us overloading the charging system on this bike? Or can it handle this with no problem. I don't want to start burning up stators every few months. Thanks!
The paper work that came with my Gerbing gear included the following concerning AMP draw:

Gloves: 2.2 per pair
Socks: 2.2 per pair
Jacket: 6.9 each
Pants: 4.0 each
Vest: 4.2 each

Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I went with Warm & Safe heated gear - I would contact them or another company and ask them directly

Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by wskadavis
Sorry, I have to say this. I am 62 and have been riding since I was 13 and the coldest weather I have ever rode in was 17 degrees. I ride a about 20,000 miles a year. Real bikers don't need heated anything.
Riding in 17 degee weather and saying you've ridden in 17 degree weather on the internet are two completely different things. Don't project your insecurities on some poor guy who had the audacity to ask a simple question.

OP

I'd say your bike will handle a couple pairs of heated gloves and jacket liners. Adding in pants liners might cause you to have to kill your running lights at low speed and/or turning the clothing down or off at rpms of less than 2k. The stator doesn't produce max amps/watts at lower rpms.

Off the top of my head

Gerbing gloves 22w a pair
Jacket liner 77w
Pants liner 90w

Times that up by how many sets you're gonna use and see what reserve you have to work with. I would by no means sit in a traffic jam running all that juice.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-22-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I have spent quite a bit of time researching heated gear and decided to wait until I upgrade the charging system. The stock charging system will work with the heated gear while cruising down the road. It's when at idle at lights that's the issue. HD makes an upgraded one that is only 4 amps more than stock, but the big difference is that it makes the needed power at idle.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...harging-system

Engineered to provide 30% more power than the stock system at idle

With 54 amps of output at 4,000 rpm, accessories will operate at their peak performance - no more dimming lights, reduced audio performance or under-performing heated gear

Recommended installation anytime a multi-amp audio system is installed in order to achieve the full capacity of your audio system

Recommended when installing heated seats, heated gear and other higher draw powered accessories

Maximum power output of charging system is 793 Watts (based on constant voltage cold data)

Ideal for heated clothing, heated seats and grips, decorative lighting, and high-output audio systems place added demand on the motorcycle's charging system

Complete kit includes high performance rotor, stator, voltage regulator and all gaskets and hardware required for installation

Stock on select CVO™ Touring models

Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by wskadavis
Sorry, I have to say this. I am 62 and have been riding since I was 13 and the coldest weather I have ever rode in was 17 degrees. I ride a about 20,000 miles a year. Real bikers don't need heated anything.
I once was dumb enough to ride 50 miles in 25 degrees with no heated gear. I sure was not comfortable.

My wife got heated gear for her bike. I saw how much more comfortable in the 30's than I was, and how much less bulky clothing she had on.

I got heated gear. Sure glad I did, the teens are comfortable. I go out for rides in the 20's and will put 200~250 miles on.

Guess I'm not a real biker. I average 24K a years since 09. My 4 month old CVO Street glide has 10,3xx miles on it. I have a King I ride also.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

First, ditto all the reply to the dork riding in 17°f comment...

On heated gear, here's my experience...I have the full Gerbing suit. Jacket, gloves, pants and socks. I have run them all along with the grips and seat and it does draw more than the stock 2014 FLHTK alternator will put out, but not by too much and I've never been left with a low battery...

But here's another thing I've found with Gerbing gear...

1.) +10 on the (made in the USA) Gerbing jacket. Works great, heats VERY nice.

2.) 5 on the gloves. Sent them back twice because the heat was marginal to poor. Not worth the $$. Rarely wear them anymore.

3.) 5 on the pants. Same issue as gloves, poor heat mostly on the top of my legs. Not worth the $$. Rarely wear them anymore.

4.) 2 on the socks/booties. VERY uncomfortable. Very localized heat mostly on the toes, even burned my toes (left heat marks). Not worth the $$. Rarely wear them anymore.

Jacket was made in the USA, all the rest of the high prices crap came from China! This when Gerbing was suppose to be manufacturing here in the USA.

Give Gerbing serious thought before purchasing in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
Check out http://www.heatedclothing4u.com/
He is my local (Maryland) Gerbing/Gyde guy. He knows his ****, so give him a call. He also does discounts for military, vets, etc.
I've bought a lot of gear from Mike then John. They are also who I recommend to people.

Originally Posted by plongson

On heated gear, here's my experience...I have the full Gerbing suit. Jacket, gloves, pants and socks. I have run them all along with the grips and seat and it does draw more than the stock 2014 FLHTK alternator will put out, but not by too much and I've never been left with a low battery...
Wife ran the full suite and I had the jacket/pants/gloves all running for a day on my '05 and we still made it home without killing the battery.

I've ran the jacket/pants/gloves/seat/grips on my '14 for days on a trip and made it home without any issues.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JLG
I have a 2016 Ultra Limited that came with the heated grips. I've added a heated seat. My wife & I are considering buying heated jackets or jacket liners. Is there any danger of us overloading the charging system on this bike? Or can it handle this with no problem. I don't want to start burning up stators every few months. Thanks!
You will be fine.

I run 2x Fosgate TM400x2 amps on my bike and my heated gloves. Haven't had a chance to run with my socks yet but don't expect any problems at all.

Had the gloves all the way up, and the 2 amps running while charging my wife's phone without issue.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh and I use First Gear stuff.

It's my feat and hands that get cold rest of me is fine. I was hooked after I got the gloves, bought the socks couple weeks ago but hasn't been cold enough to try them yet

Quick Reply: Heated Gear