Sponsored by:

Zumo 595LM integration questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 AM
DiabloV
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zumo 595LM integration questions

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help that is offered.
I am getting a 2017 Electra Glide Ultra Classic.
I have the 6.5 GT infotainment system.
I had this on my '14 streetglide special and don't like the nav software so would like to add the Zumo as a handlebar mounted option.
I will be using the AUX audio input harness and the electrical update harness from HD. (The electrical update harness is only for the 2017 models, provides switched accessory power).
I understand from reading the forums that there is no way to get the Zumo to interrupt the 6.5 audio for nav voice prompts - I would have to be selected to AUX all the time to get those.
So, for music I suppose I would use the Garmin and then I can get the nav prompts properly prioritized when they happen.
But, what about phone calls and CB radio ? Intercom ?
I would be using the HD 7 pin headphone jack and I have the CB module.

In other words, do I kill all of the other functions because I am switched to AUX3 ?

For those suggesting the Road Tech Zumo - NO. I get a good discount on Garmin stuff and I get the 595 two hundred cheaper than the Road tech 590, and it's much newer.

Thanks for any help here.
DC, Orlando

Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
justmike911
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why you don't like the Harley stuff, but one way would be to blue tooth it with the new Sena box . It's a small box designed for Harley rides. Maybe that's an option.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloV
In other words, do I kill all of the other functions because I am switched to AUX3 ?

I have a 2015 FLHTK.

Your other functions (CB, Intercom, Phone) will operate normally in AUX3 mode.

This is how I ran my z660, using the Garmin mp3 player, and still had all of the other stuff.

Currently, I use the rt z590, and listen to music on the USB. I understand that you don't want to invest in the RT z590, but it does function pretty well. You can purchase the Road Tech version for 20% off from numerous sources.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 PM
DiabloV
Advanced

Originally Posted by biglew55
I have a 2015 FLHTK.

Your other functions (CB, Intercom, Phone) will operate normally in AUX3 mode.

This is how I ran my z660, using the Garmin mp3 player, and still had all of the other stuff.

Currently, I use the rt z590, and listen to music on the USB. I understand that you don't want to invest in the RT z590, but it does function pretty well. You can purchase the Road Tech version for 20% off from numerous sources.
So, aside from differences between older RT590 and new 595LM , the advantage with the RT version is allowing me to use the 6.5 for music because it will interrupt for the GPS prompts. Or did I misunderstand which "USB" you were using. If you are using the 6.5 USB, don't you have to be selected to that? Then if so, wouldn't you then lose the RT 590 audio altogether ?

I would consider a RT unit but need to know more about the advantages of that vs the much newer model from Garmin. Are the maps for lifetime free updates ?

Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 PM
DiabloV
Advanced

Originally Posted by justmike911
Not sure why you don't like the Harley stuff, but one way would be to blue tooth it with the new Sena box . It's a small box designed for Harley rides. Maybe that's an option.
I don't like it because it is lowest bidder stuff that HD chose instead of Garmin, which is light years ahead of the rudimentary, basic, clunky, and error prone iGo nav software on the 6.5.
I'm a GPS fan and have used TomTom, Garmin, and now iGo, and I much prefer Garmin. And I don't have to pay $149 every time I need a map update with Garmin. And I REALLY like the speed limit vs actual speed readout that Garmin includes.

I speed a lot.

I think that HD might consider a new system once enough people try the new iPad based Garmin system that Indian is now offering ( Competition).
But that is not going to happen soon.

The Sena box -you mean this one ?
https://www.sena.com/product/freewire/

Looks interesting, lots of possibilities, but I was hoping to keep my corded headsets.
Will study this option too though.
Thanks

Last edited by DiabloV; 02-24-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:51 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloV
So, aside from differences between older RT590 and new 595LM , the advantage with the RT version is allowing me to use the 6.5 for music because it will interrupt for the GPS prompts. Or did I misunderstand which "USB" you were using. If you are using the 6.5 USB, don't you have to be selected to that? Then if so, wouldn't you then lose the RT 590 audio altogether ?

I would consider a RT unit but need to know more about the advantages of that vs the much newer model from Garmin. Are the maps for lifetime free updates ?

I think you have listed the only advantage for buying the RT; it can be used to interrupt other audio sources on the boom using tone interrupt.

The 595 has features that the 590 does not. In addition to that, the z590 also does NOT include the TPMS that the normal Garmin 590/595 would have.

The RT z590 does include lifetime updates. If purchased through a dealer giving 20% off, the cost is:$640.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Oldun
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you have listed the only advantage for buying the RT; it can be used to interrupt other audio sources on the boom using tone interrupt. The 595 has features that the 590 does not. In addition to that, the z590 also does NOT include the TPMS that the normal Garmin 590/595 would have.
Agree entirely. I researched a lot before updating my Zumo 550 with the Garmin 595LM. I looked at the Harley dealer's 590 and initially wanted to get it BUT the lack of tire pressure monitoring and the lack of new features that the 595 has.... nah. Also, the 'discounted' price at the dealer for the 590 was $85 more than the Garmin 595 with tire monitoring. Done a couple of local runs with the 595 and very happy with it esp. but not only compared to the faithful 550. Going to road test it properly on the upcoming ride from Harbor City to Daytona Beach for Bike Week :-)

Old 02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree after running the Garmin Zumo units the HD is absolute crap, I have had numerous new vehicles with factory gps, they are inferior to garmin but that sad excuse Harley uses is the worst. I mounted my Zumo on my 2014 Ultra Limited and blue tooth to my sena 20S , works awesome.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:20 PM
DiabloV
Advanced

Just out of curiosity, did you get the TP sensors ? The Garmin website doesn't specify how many sensors are included for the price.
I have a new Z550 here has never been used. Going to sell it next week. Never had a chance to try it. I think I would be a fool to pass up the 595LM for $584. Looks like I will use the HD bar mount .......

Originally Posted by Oldun
Agree entirely. I researched a lot before updating my Zumo 550 with the Garmin 595LM. I looked at the Harley dealer's 590 and initially wanted to get it BUT the lack of tire pressure monitoring and the lack of new features that the 595 has.... nah. Also, the 'discounted' price at the dealer for the 590 was $85 more than the Garmin 595 with tire monitoring. Done a couple of local runs with the 595 and very happy with it esp. but not only compared to the faithful 550. Going to road test it properly on the upcoming ride from Harbor City to Daytona Beach for Bike Week :-)

Old 02-25-2017, 05:36 PM
DiabloV
Advanced

Thanks for the reply Biglew,
I'm just trying to clarify the scenario here, correct me where necessary:
The RT Zumo sends a tone (I thought it was a digital signal, silent) that works like having the older module setup required on the pre-rushmore bikes. It can interrupt the 6.5 music for GPS commands. You still need the aux 3 flashed. You set your audio source to "USB" for your 6.5 music. It apparently "listens" for interrupt tones on Aux3 (since that's the only place it can come from). With the Garmin branded Zumo, you don't use "USB" as the source, since you wont get any Zumo audio -- unless you stay selected to Aux3 all the time. Which leaves you with only the Zumo as a media player, in which case the Aux3 (Zumo) music will be interrupted by the Aux3 (Zumo) GPS voice prompts. BUT, with your phone plugged into the 6.5 USB, you can still make and recieve phone calls- or do you have to have the phone synched in bluetooth instead ? Bear in mind you are still selected to Aux 3. If the only thing I lose is the 6.5 USB music, no big deal. But if I lose the 6.5 music AND the two way phone call functionality, that is a problem. Also, the ability to voice dial is not affected, using the 7 pin DIN headset, right?

I think you have listed the only advantage for buying the RT; it can be used to interrupt other audio sources on the boom using tone interrupt.

The 595 has features that the 590 does not. In addition to that, the z590 also does NOT include the TPMS that the normal Garmin 590/595 would have.

The RT z590 does include lifetime updates. If purchased through a dealer giving 20% off, the cost is:$640.

Quick Reply: Zumo 595LM integration questions