Sponsored by:

Cruise Control & PTT Paddles should be reversed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cruise Control & PTT Paddles should be reversed

Perhaps it's just me, but I think HD really tripped up on this one. In my opinion these two paddle switches should be reversed, positioning the Cruise controls on the same side as the throttle. More importantly, trying to manipulate the PTT paddle switch can sometimes be cumbersome depending upon how your hand is positioned on the throttle at the time. Too often I end up changing the Squelch setting as I inadvertently push the paddle up or down when attempting to engage the PTT.

Switching these positions would completely eliminate this problem. I suppose it would be relatively easy to pin out the wiring and switch them.

Anyone else have an opinion on this, or am I just going stir-crazy with this prolonged winter weather?

Steve

Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
henrycford
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 limited

I couldn't agree more!

I have very large hands and it is difficult to hold the throttle at highway speed and use the ptt switch. I would guess it is more difficult for people with smaller hands.

These switches were reversed on my 2009 UC and my 2010 Triglide.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Mine's an '06,cruise is on the throttle side,as it should be.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree! They screwed that up completely. In fact, I'm planning on writing customer relations a letter about this. I think its a safety issue. And I may copy the NHTSA on it as well. Its very hard to use the PTT unless the cruise control is set. Every time I've used it while riding without setting the cruise, I change speed up and down when using the PTT. Asinine placement. A three year old moron could have figured it out better. Why in the world did they have to screw with it? It was fine the way it was.
jt

Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

when was it changed my 08 is cruise on the right ptt on the left

Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM
huffy
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyjth
I totally agree! They screwed that up completely. In fact, I'm planning on writing customer relations a letter about this. I think its a safety issue. And I may copy the NHTSA on it as well. Its very hard to use the PTT unless the cruise control is set. Every time I've used it while riding without setting the cruise, I change speed up and down when using the PTT. Asinine placement. A three year old moron could have figured it out better. Why in the world did they have to screw with it? It was fine the way it was.
jt
NHTSA.. your kidding. right? So what didn't you LIKE about the bike you traded for the new one?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Another 06 w/cruise on the throttle side. Every piece of eqiuipmt is a little different. The cruise operation in all of my vehicles have been a little different, buttons in different location, a little different function. Some I liked better than others but none we're so muddled I couldn't adapt. Let your brain retrain itself or buy an older bike with the functions located where you are comfortable

Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

if that's all you got to bitch about, then you're doing pretty darn good i'd say

Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 PM
harleyjth
Tourer

Originally Posted by leon anthony
when was it changed my 08 is cruise on the right ptt on the left
Changed on the 14's.
jt

Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 PM
harleyjth
Tourer

Originally Posted by huffy
NHTSA.. your kidding. right? So what didn't you LIKE about the bike you traded for the new one?
Liked the 12 fine - but the 14 is a far superior bike. I've put about 3k on it and it runs better, rides better and handles better. Nearly everything they did to these bikes was a great improvement. I really have only 2 complaints. One is the location of the PTT and cruise switches as we are discussing here. The other is the rear brake pedal which was virtually useless. no way to get my foot on the pedal and keep my heel on the floorboard. I fixed that problem by changing to a Softbrake pedal. Much better.

Wtf? Why wouldn't I copy NHTSA on what I perceive as a safety issue?
jt

Quick Reply: Cruise Control & PTT Paddles should be reversed