Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Twin cooling issues poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
I had no leaks for 6 weeks and 1,160 miles. Then after sitting parked overnight one night I found a quarter sized spot of coolant under the bike. Checked it out and discovered the Thermostat housing was leaking at the elbo on the right side. Took it to the dealer. They replaced it and when I went to pick it up they told me they had one in stock but Harley told them not to use it. They wanted to overnight a new and improved one. After they they told me that I decided to look at it before I left. The new and improved one was already leaking at the elbow. They kept it and Harley overnighted a second replacement. They called me after the second replacement and said they took it for a 10 mile test ride and inspected it and no leaks. It was cold and rainy so I had them deliver it. When they rolled it out of the trailer I looked under it and the second replacement was leaking at the elbow. So back on the trailer it went. They called after the third replacement and said they took it for a 10 mile test ride and no leaks but they wanted to keep it over night and check it again in the morning. No leaks with the third one. I have only put about 200 miles on it in the last 3 months due to the snow and cold but so far so good. It seems like they don't leak when hot and under pressure, but only during or after cool down. That's why when the dealer would replace it, test ride and inspected it when they got back it wasn't leaking but would be when I got it back several hours later. Attached are pictures of the original and second of three replacements.
I've offered this exact scenario of when the thermostat leaks in another thread awhile ago. When cold after cool down. Never when it's warm. This was after helping my buddy deal with his 4th leaking thermostat.

I wonder if HD has figured out what we both have.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:59 AM
gjlee
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
I had no leaks for 6 weeks and 1,160 miles. Then after sitting parked overnight one night I found a quarter sized spot of coolant under the bike. Checked it out and discovered the Thermostat housing was leaking at the elbo on the right side. Took it to the dealer. They replaced it and when I went to pick it up they told me they had one in stock but Harley told them not to use it. They wanted to overnight a new and improved one. After they they told me that I decided to look at it before I left. The new and improved one was already leaking at the elbow. They kept it and Harley overnighted a second replacement. They called me after the second replacement and said they took it for a 10 mile test ride and inspected it and no leaks. It was cold and rainy so I had them deliver it. When they rolled it out of the trailer I looked under it and the second replacement was leaking at the elbow. So back on the trailer it went. They called after the third replacement and said they took it for a 10 mile test ride and no leaks but they wanted to keep it over night and check it again in the morning. No leaks with the third one. I have only put about 200 miles on it in the last 3 months due to the snow and cold but so far so good. It seems like they don't leak when hot and under pressure, but only during or after cool down. That's why when the dealer would replace it, test ride and inspected it when they got back it wasn't leaking but would be when I got it back several hours later. Attached are pictures of the original and second of three replacements.
Exactly the issues I am having. Thermostat will not leak until the temps at night get into the 30's.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Took the bike out today for the first time since the dealer replaced the thermo housing, they couldn't even test it because of the snow and ice so it's been in my garage for about a month. Was 37* when I started, warmed up to a balmy 39* while I was out. Did a 55 mile ride, no problems and after letting the bike sit for about an hour, went out and checked it and no leaks (so far), I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Bpago
Intermediate
Angry still problems!!

Bike is back at dealer for 5th time. cap has been replaced, filler neck again for the second time, and one thermostat change. Coolant problems were solved after the filler neck issue, then 1800 miles later and after 5000 mile service, it happened again. Coincidence?? Anyway I'm on my way to pick it up after the latest filler neck problem and they say it's fixed. Bike is 13 months old and H-D still having problems. Maybe Attorney time next.

And now for the Zinger! They provided me a Trike rental at no charge while they have had the bike and conferred with the area Rep. You guessed it! 6 miles to home and after shut down in garage, It over flowed coolant. Can't wait to show them the pictures. The rental bike had 8500 miles on it.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpago
Bike is back at dealer for 5th time. cap has been replaced, filler neck again for the second time, and one thermostat change. Coolant problems were solved after the filler neck issue, then 1800 miles later and after 5000 mile service, it happened again. Coincidence?? Anyway I'm on my way to pick it up after the latest filler neck problem and they say it's fixed. Bike is 13 months old and H-D still having problems. Maybe Attorney time next.

And now for the Zinger! They provided me a Trike rental at no charge while they have had the bike and conferred with the area Rep. You guessed it! 6 miles to home and after shut down in garage, It over flowed coolant. Can't wait to show them the pictures. The rental bike had 8500 miles on it.
How many times you gonna copy/paste this into different threads?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM
jws8308
Intermediate

5 months old, 4000 miles and not one single issue in regards to the twin cooling.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Stacy73
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2014 FLHTK with 34500 miles on it. Just took it in for the fifth time for coolent problems. The last fix lasted over a year. Hope they get it right this time. Other than the coolent I love the bike. This is the third thermostat.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Roadster
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 8000 miles om my 2015 Limited without any issues here in sunny Florida.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:48 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Stacy73
I have a 2014 FLHTK with 34500 miles on it. Just took it in for the fifth time for coolent problems. The last fix lasted over a year. Hope they get it right this time. Other than the coolent I love the bike. This is the third thermostat.
Curious, what has been the problem the 5 times? I'm a '14 with 11K miles, had one problem very early on and all good since then, wondering if I should be getting ready for more problems...thanks!

Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 PM
pkwett94
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

30,654 miles and no issues. At 30,000 did the antifreeze change, and no issues with that either.

Quick Reply: Twin cooling issues poll