Sponsored by:

slip-ons, tuner needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:01 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrisko
I believe the choice of slip-ons will determine if AFR needs adjustment at a minimum...

Here is a quote for one brand that I am lookin into:

** Please note that adding CFR Slip-ons to stock Harley-Davidson 103" and 110" engines will require the bike to be re-tuned otherwise discoloration may occur. **

Bluing or discoloration is mainly caused by running too lean... the AFR needs to be richened up....
All aftermarket pipes state the same thing.I've put just the slipons on many bikes and have never had a issue.A little leaner a little more heat,but it won't harm anything.As was stated by SafetyMan buy a tuner first and build on that.IMO

Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM
HarleyguyUltra2011
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On that note what is the feeling about removing the cat from the head pipe and leaving the stock mufflers is a tune needed ?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Have you checked Craigslist?

On a side note...

I am wanting a specific setup on my 14 SGS... Power Duals and CFR's with SERT and AC....can't get it all at once, but couldn't stand the quiet ride....

HD folks are always upgrading and trying to recoup some hard-earned cash... search craigslist and sometimes you score...

I found a set of Rhineharts yesterday on CRAIGSLIST for $40! I installed them after a good hour of cleaning and polishing and shimmed to my head pipe... no leaks and sound great for now... lets me get by for now while I shelf everything I want... and I got the FL-VIED-10 for free... so I feel I did ok...

I can't hurt anything by running the FL-VIED-10 at 50% to richen it up a bit...

Last edited by Spazz; 03-02-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM
spf62
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are those the 4" Rinehart Slip ons or 3 1/2". Look good

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spf62
Are those the 4" Rinehart Slip ons or 3 1/2". Look good

3.5".... thanks....

Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyguyUltra2011
On that note what is the feeling about removing the cat from the head pipe and leaving the stock mufflers is a tune needed ?
Not sure how your intending to remove.Removing I assume your cutting it out? If so good luck as alot of guys have suceeded in doing so,But assuming removing means replacing yes thats what you should do Replace not Remove,lots of after market non cat headpipes out there. Fuel Moto would be my choice.JMO. If you can afford that look on ebay for a cheap set of slip ons.No tune needed

Old 03-02-2014, 03:41 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrenn
Here's my $.02 If you leave the cat in place and just add slip ons with no change to your air cleaner, I would say no, you don't need a tuner. However if you removed the cat or upgrade your air cleaner then you are increasing the flow, so you would need a tuner.

The cat is more restrictive than the muffler, so slip ons won't make a difference on the tune.

As long as you don't change the AC, you'll be fine. I ran my 2014 Limited for a couple of months with Rinehart 4" slip-ons until the 2014 Stage 1 kits came out. No problems, bike ran good. No discoloration of the exhaust system.

If you change the AC, you definitely need a tuner. I'd skip the add on solutions and get a real flash tuner like either one of the HD's or the Power Vision, etc.

Last edited by offthewall; 03-02-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM
HarleyguyUltra2011
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman54
Not sure how your intending to remove.Removing I assume your cutting it out? If so good luck as alot of guys have suceeded in doing so,But assuming removing means replacing yes thats what you should do Replace not Remove,lots of after market non cat headpipes out there. Fuel Moto would be my choice.JMO. If you can afford that look on ebay for a cheap set of slip ons.No tune needed
Should of clarified some I wanted to remove the head pipe cut a opening and gut the cat out weld the access panel back on and install the head pipe again . I'm really looking to get the bike a little louder .

Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I have Vance and Hines twin slash on mine with no tuner.I have a vied-10 if I want to get more power.Go to Nightrider http://sales.nightrider.com/ and read
tech notes.Proven in 2007 that ecm will adjust for air and exhaust upgrades.
Buy an Xied or vied of tuner if You don't believe a software engineer.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM
rjwin
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my 2014 SGS stock slip ons with Vance and Hines megaphones. Took less than 30 minutes. Easiest muffler change I ever did. Sounded a bit raspy, but I haven't taken it out on the road yet. I looked through the stock mufflers and could barely see any light at all. They make the motorcycle sound like a Honda. I wrote Harley about it. I'll probably get a form letter quoting government regulations. I'm going to look into air fuel mixture and see if I need to change. My last motorcycle was a 2004 Heritage Softail, so this has been a big adjustment for me.

Quick Reply: slip-ons, tuner needed?