Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal+BOOM speakers+J&M Amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gas Tank Removal+BOOM speakers+J&M Amp

OK.....decided to go with the BOOM 6.5" speakers in the fairing and the lower fairing and a J&M Audio 360W 4ch AMP.

I didn't want to break the bank and maximize the potential of the BOOM's.

Question....is there any tips or tricks to removing the gas tank on the 2014 Street Glide? Pretty straight forward? I looked for a video or picture tutorial but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any tips or tricks.

dave

Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLXX
OK.....decided to go with the BOOM 6.5" speakers in the fairing and the lower fairing and a J&M Audio 360W 4ch AMP.

I didn't want to break the bank and maximize the potential of the BOOM's.

Question....is there any tips or tricks to removing the gas tank on the 2014 Street Glide? Pretty straight forward? I looked for a video or picture tutorial but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any tips or tricks.

dave
Pretty simple to remove...if you plan to do this and other projects to your bike yourself, I would suggest getting the 2014 service manual. It will save your heartache....

Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Real simple, the gas line removal is a simple quick release. Remove the gas cap, dash and hoses connected under it. Then just remove the bolts and lift off.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM
bufalo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not bad, I think it was GlidingJoe on another thread that had a good tip - when you get ready to pull the fuel line, first pull the connection at the base of the tank for fuel pump and gauage. Then crank the bike over a few times, if it runs for a sec let it die. That will pull the pressure off the line.

Once you've done that, the fuel line is on the left side, spout down, just grab a rag and hold over the connection and release the fuel line. I can't remember exactly but one side (either tank or hose) has a sliding jacket, just slide it and pull the line.

If you're like me, I highly recommend pictures so that you can route the cables properly when you put back together. I thought for sure a couple hours after I pulled the tank I could remember how exactly everything went...I was wrong. Glad I had the pics.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
LeeH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did that this weekend. I'm installing a full set of LED's as well as the ROKKER 500 watt amp, fairing and pod speakers. I ended up pretty much stripping the bike down - fairing, tank, seat and bags. Also removed the wire channel cover so I could hide all the LED wires.
It's all easy to remove - 4 bolts on the gas tank, 2 screws on the seat, fuel line quick connect, the harness and vent line under the seat . One thing I learned though - its way easier to do if the gas tank wasn't just filled up

Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

DBLXX, see if you can verify somewhere the rating of those BOOM speakers. No where was I able locate the spec's on them and would hate to see you blow them out with to much power from the J&M unit...

Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
mjohnson68
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking at some lowers myself but think after having J&M's in my previous bike I won't be putting that junk back in... I think I am leaning towards Hawg Wired 6.5" all the way around and even using the HD factory lids to add a set of 5x7"s in the rear lids... Going to drive them from 2 RS300 amps...

Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
DBLXX, see if you can verify somewhere the rating of those BOOM speakers. No where was I able locate the spec's on them and would hate to see you blow them out with to much power from the J&M unit...
FWI...Actually, you are more apt to damage speakers from overdriving an underpowered amplifier (clipping)....clipping produces harmonics at higher frequencies...which has the potential to damage the speaker's tweeter via overheating.....

Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

latest info from J&M on the 2014 stuff ,,,,,

great sounding, easy installation, all plug-n-play ,,,,,

Old 03-31-2014, 01:23 PM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comparison video. Any ideas on the original question about gas tank removal?

You got me excited to see a video but not a gas tank removal video

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Removal+BOOM speakers+J&M Amp