Sponsored by:

CB Mic Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
DAKSY
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CB Mic Issues?

Our HOG Chapter had the Bike Blessing Today & this was my first chance to play with the CB feature in the Rushmore Limited. I kept the J&M hand mic from my 11 Ultra & installed the RAM mount with the microphone clip in the bars. Before I got to test it, the blessing was over & we were riding for lunch. I keyed the mic a few times & could tell that the CB wasn't activating. The PTT button activated the CB, but the mic didn't function. I was able to hear the other convos on CB, but couldn't join in. Once we got to the destination, I talked with another rider & we stayed in the lot to see what was up. It turns out the J&M mic will only work with BOTH the PTT button depressed & the switch on the mic keyed. WTF is up with THAT? kinda pointless to need two hands to use one mic. Anybody got any input on this? Did HD purposely tweak the system to force me to buy an HD hand mic, or is a hand mic not an option on the 14s? I wore my shorty helmet & didn't bring the OEM headset that came with the bike...

Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

been discussed last fall. long story short no ptt wiring on 14's. they do not want the handheld mic's used. Mike

Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I was aware of this - but some of the guys I ride with have resolved the matter. Not sure what they did but they can use their mics. Will ask the next time I see them.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DAKSY--I have been in contact with John at J&M. So far the hand mic is not an option. He did come out with a boom mic (no ear speakers) that attaches to a 1/2 helmet.

You will also find posts here that talk about throat mics on Ebay.

I am not sure which way I am going to go but I will be making a choice soon.

Last edited by bksmoky; 04-14-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:02 PM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I was aware of this - but some of the guys I ride with have resolved the matter. Not sure what they did but they can use their mics. Will ask the next time I see them.
Please let us know. I really want to resolve this issue.
jt

Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 AM
DAKSY
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc115
been discussed last fall. long story short no ptt wiring on 14's. they do not want the handheld mic's used. Mike
Thanks, Mike. Guess I missed it. Didn't pull the trigger on the WetHead until November & really didn't carefully read the Rushmore stuff before that.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Cracked open the wiring diagrams for 10 and 14. Not much hope, pre 14's have a actual pin in the module marked ptt, 14's are a can signal, no separate terminal. It may take someone engineering a digital can adapter. FWIW i tried my harley mic and could not transmit with the button pushed and ptt switch pushed, some say theirs worked that way. Mike

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

here is what I know ,,,,,,,,

the CB PTT function initiation on the 2014s is now a specific digital signal generated by the actual PTT button on the right side handlebar control, thru a tiny pcb circuit inside ,,,,,,

on the 1989-2013 Ultras, it was simple connection together of 2 wires, which were not only at the handlebar PTT switch, but also in the headset wiring harness, which is why you could plug a headset OR hand mike into the headset jack and initiate PTT from the hand mike ,,,,,

this type of thing is NOT possible with the 2014s and I would be VERY surprised if anyone will make a hand mike kit that actually works for the 2014s, including Harley ,, the system was just NOT designed with the CB hand mike capability in mind ,,,,

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 AM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Myself and two other '14 Limited owners discovered this over the weekend, using HD mics. Took the question as to why the handheld mic does not work, and if HD ever intends to correct the problem, to local dealer service manager and he promised to get us an answer. I doubt we will see a change any time soon...

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
here is what I know ,,,,,,,,

the CB PTT function initiation on the 2014s is now a specific digital signal generated by the actual PTT button on the right side handlebar control, thru a tiny pcb circuit inside ,,,,,,

on the 1989-2013 Ultras, it was simple connection together of 2 wires, which were not only at the handlebar PTT switch, but also in the headset wiring harness, which is why you could plug a headset OR hand mike into the headset jack and initiate PTT from the hand mike ,,,,,

this type of thing is NOT possible with the 2014s and I would be VERY surprised if anyone will make a hand mike kit that actually works for the 2014s, including Harley ,, the system was just NOT designed with the CB hand mike capability in mind ,,,,
I have not tried this, but I am an electrical engineer (or was anyhow). I would think it would be simple enough to wire the ptt switch on the mic closed as if it were pressed all the time. The mic would not key until the other ptt on the handlebar were pressed. Simple solution. A couple of screws, a short piece of wire, and some solder. DONE!

I have a throat mic I built for my old bike and it works with the 2014. It is pretty much the same concept. There is no ptt on it. It is always "keyed". It is waiting on the handlebar ptt to be pressed. It worked on my 2000 Ultra and now it works the same on my 2014 Limited.

Quick Reply: CB Mic Issues?