Washing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Washing

Hello all,

First time owner of a bike with a fairing, 2014 FLHX. SO never having had one of these before, is there any special precautions about washing the bike, especially the inside of the fairing. Now I understand that it will be out in the rain etc, I just do not want to find out that I really shouldn't have sprayed "that part" the hard way.

Thanks all

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 PM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am extra careful on that area, but it is designed to be out in the elements so you should be ok. Just don't run a pressure washer over it.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 AM
Browning, nb
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I remember the manual saying not to directly spray your speakers and infotainment system.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I throw a bag over the whole front fairing. Why soak it when it doesn't NEED (like when you get caught in the rain) to be soaked?

I take a micro fiber and soak it....wring it out and wipe the top down.

Again....why soak it when you don't HAVE to?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I recommend a 'blow dryer'. I have an Air Blaster that blows air out of nooks and crannies. I have not had any issues in 10 years as a result of drying a bike this way. Wouldn't point it directly at speakers from close up. From a distance and at an angle is all that's needed.

I wash my inner fairing just as I do the outer. The Infotainment system (I have the 4.3) buttons are sealed as is the screen. Blowing air into them actually flushes the residual water out of the 'cracks' and like I said, never any issue with water and the radio becoming flaky. Just take it easy on the speakers.

Alan

Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 AM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
I recommend a 'blow dryer'. I have an Air Blaster that blows air out of nooks and crannies. I have not had any issues in 10 years as a result of drying a bike this way. Wouldn't point it directly at speakers from close up. From a distance and at an angle is all that's needed.

I wash my inner fairing just as I do the outer. The Infotainment system (I have the 4.3) buttons are sealed as is the screen. Blowing air into them actually flushes the residual water out of the 'cracks' and like I said, never any issue with water and the radio becoming flaky. Just take it easy on the speakers.

Alan
Give it time....the bike is still too new. Forcing water in spots it shouldn't be doesn't ruin things overnight. A couple years down the road, if that long and you will have a bike that looks great on the outside and rotting away on the inside.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:22 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I have not put a hose on any of my bikes in 10 years.

Harley (or pick your brand) spray cleaner and polish and a microfiber work well.

I use Novus 1 cleaner and Cee Bailey aircraft windshield polish on the windscreen.

I don't get the moisture in the gauges that I used to.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I wash mine, I stay clear of the dash. I just wipe the dash off with a damp towel and some Quick Detailer. I've always thought that soaking the dash, along with the gauges and radio contributed to the fogged up gauge issue that many encounter. I've not had a fogged up gauge in years, whereas a lot of guys that spray their dash down do.
jt

Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I have not put a hose on any of my bikes in 10 years.

Harley (or pick your brand) spray cleaner and polish and a microfiber work well.

I use Novus 1 cleaner and Cee Bailey aircraft windshield polish on the windscreen.

I don't get the moisture in the gauges that I used to.
Ditto. I have had collector cars for 16 years that never once saw a hose. Constant maintenance will avoid needing a hose. I was often and detail spray wipe down after use.
Fortunately the gauge side never gets dirty, just dusty

Unfortunately this does not work out well in rainy climates

Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks all, appreciate the information.

Quick Reply: Washing