Sponsored by:

Bought a New Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 AM
jeep4321
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a New Ultra Limited

This is my first touring motorcycle. I'm only 170 pounds and find low speed manuvering a little uncomfortable. I haven't even tried riding 2 up yet.
Any tips / advice?

Attached Thumbnails Bought a New Ultra Limited-img_20140419_151346095.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase!

The trick to slow speed maneuvering is to have the fundamentals down pat....head, eyes, clutch, throttle, brake, posture.

You should have the throttle just above idle....keep it steady until you have a lot of practice.

The clutch should be in the friction zone....the bike needs power to stay upright but the clutch all the way out makes it difficult or impossible to make tight turns.

Ride/drag the rear brake. It's kind of a safety net that stabilizes the bike at slow speeds and allows for quick adjustments to variations in throttle and clutch movements. Tight maneuvers require the throttle, clutch, and rear brake to be used simultaneously. You shouldn't be using so much brake that the engine lugs....all of your inputs should be fairly light.

DO NOT PULL IN THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY while turning. Bikes under power want to stay upright. If you suck in the clutch, it will go down!

Turn your head and eyes to where you want to go before making the bike follow your directions. This sounds simple, but a lot of guys forget this one. If you are making a U-turn, you should be looking over your shoulder before you start turning the bike.

Take a class. Try to find one that supplies the bike. These skills take practice and it's almost impossible to get really good without dropping the bike a few times.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 AM
wojo1965
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D green,
Great explanation!!!
I recommend this web site ridelikeapro.com for great riding tips videos.

Wojo

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 AM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jeep4321
This is my first touring motorcycle. I'm only 170 pounds and find low speed manuvering a little uncomfortable. I haven't even tried riding 2 up yet.
Any tips / advice?

Motor Officers are the best riders in the world when it comes to slow speed maneuvering. This is due to the extensive training they go through. Jerry "Moterman" Palladino has a good civilian training class and some videos based on the Motor Officer training. It's called Ride Like a Pro.
I'm 5'8" @ 170 lbs. I was a little intimidated when I first purchased my 2014 Limited back in Aug. I wanted to be a good confident rider. I took a class in North Carolina and purchased the video. It really boosted my game and confidence. I now ride like a pro. I practice some of the maneuvers regularly. I highly recommend getting the video and practice what he teaches. Their is a 7 minute you tube video on his web site which outlines what he teaches. In his video their are women riding big touring bikes with their husbands on the back while carving up these low speed maneuvers. If they can do it, you can learn it.
I have on affiliation with Jerry other then being a student. This **** works.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

AmberWhiskey

Last edited by AmberWhisky; 04-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Beautiful bike man, congrats and good luck. Myself SGS special and 150 lbs, you can just go a little faster.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 AM
jeep4321
Stage IV

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm doing everything right.

I'll be out practicing today.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. dgreen1069 nicely explained. Ride Like a Pro is a great video teaching these maneuvers. Enjoy the new bike.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 AM
64deville
Intermediate

Good idea to keep the handlebars straight when coming to a stop with these heavier bikes

Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 AM
acfetber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jeep4321
Any tips / advice?
I think being lighter may be an advantage on low speed maneuvering less weight trying to go down, when you put your girlfriend or wife back there it will we different, when my wife started to ride 2 up she always shifted her weight when the bike was leaning, that was scary. She don't do that anymore.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
Congratulations on your purchase!

The trick to slow speed maneuvering is to have the fundamentals down pat....head, eyes, clutch, throttle, brake, posture.

You should have the throttle just above idle....keep it steady until you have a lot of practice.

The clutch should be in the friction zone....the bike needs power to stay upright but the clutch all the way out makes it difficult or impossible to make tight turns.

Ride/drag the rear brake. It's kind of a safety net that stabilizes the bike at slow speeds and allows for quick adjustments to variations in throttle and clutch movements. Tight maneuvers require the throttle, clutch, and rear brake to be used simultaneously. You shouldn't be using so much brake that the engine lugs....all of your inputs should be fairly light.

DO NOT PULL IN THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY while turning. Bikes under power want to stay upright. If you suck in the clutch, it will go down!

Turn your head and eyes to where you want to go before making the bike follow your directions. This sounds simple, but a lot of guys forget this one. If you are making a U-turn, you should be looking over your shoulder before you start turning the bike.

Take a class. Try to find one that supplies the bike. These skills take practice and it's almost impossible to get really good without dropping the bike a few times.
Responses like this are the reason I like this forum so much...

Quick Reply: Bought a New Ultra Limited