2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 Ultra Ltd Cornering Behaviors...Hmmm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM
buford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 Ultra Ltd Cornering Behaviors...Hmmm?

I'm new to the new frames and have recently went on a extended cruise on my ultra. Interesting experience when going through various corners at different speeds. At low speed and making turns on to another road the bike wants to fall into the turn, nothing alarming but you have to steer up a smidge or power into the turn to make it feel natural.
At moderate speeds 45-55mph, the bike feels nimble and natural in tighter corners and medium swoopers. But over 60 and above the bike wants to stand up and you have to force the turn to keep it tracking through a corner. I noticed that counter steering at higher speeds helped tremendously.
Again none of these characteristics are alarming but just feels different from the older FL framed bikes I have ridden.
Is this a typical behavior of these bikes or do I need to look into mine further for any issues or adjustments.
Riding solo with 15lbs of air in the shocks. 36lbs front tire pressure and 40lbs in the rear.
I appreciate your replies.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I fell that my 14 LTD feels very solid and planted in all the scenarios that you listed. It has always been very predictable I have never had a feeling of having to force it to do something or a feeling of uneasy.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd add some air to those shocks.I'm 5'8" 160 ride with 30psi,Thats just what works for me.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 PM
sft-tale
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what kind of bikes you have been riding, but at 950 lbs., I doubt anything you do with it is going to be nimble.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 PM
crhannig
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Compared to my 07 Street Glide I traded in on my 14 Limited, the limited feels way better of a ride, it is very nimble feeling to me.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 PM
FLHTKONE
Advanced

One word...suspension.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 AM
harleyjth
Tourer

Originally Posted by dusturbd
I fell that my 14 LTD feels very solid and planted in all the scenarios that you listed. It has always been very predictable I have never had a feeling of having to force it to do something or a feeling of uneasy.
+1

Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The newer framed bikes do feel different than the older pre-09 bikes. I pretty much agree with everything you said, especially the feeling of the bike wanting to "fall into turns". I actually like that feeling as it slightly reduces the effort to swing the fairing from side to side in slow speed maneuvers.

Having ridden both extensively, I personally prefer the newer framed bikes. IMHO, they track better at higher speeds.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by buford
I'm new to the new frames and have recently went on a extended cruise on my ultra. Interesting experience when going through various corners at different speeds. At low speed and making turns on to another road the bike wants to fall into the turn, nothing alarming but you have to steer up a smidge or power into the turn to make it feel natural.
At moderate speeds 45-55mph, the bike feels nimble and natural in tighter corners and medium swoopers. But over 60 and above the bike wants to stand up and you have to force the turn to keep it tracking through a corner. I noticed that counter steering at higher speeds helped tremendously.
Again none of these characteristics are alarming but just feels different from the older FL framed bikes I have ridden.
Is this a typical behavior of these bikes or do I need to look into mine further for any issues or adjustments.
Riding solo with 15lbs of air in the shocks. 36lbs front tire pressure and 40lbs in the rear.
I appreciate your replies.

I am puzzled by your comment "
I noticed that counter steering at higher speeds helped tremendously.
At higher speeds how would you possibly turn without counter steering?

Last edited by UppercaseJC; 04-22-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

In the past 25 or so years I have owned six pre-09 HD touring bikes. My 14 Limited handling is much better, at all speeds. I did need to re-learn steering effort, the new Limited takes less effort. It's most noticeable in large sweeps. I also had to adjust to the brakes. Much stronger and more sensitive. Overall, a great bike, IMO.

Quick Reply: 14 Ultra Ltd Cornering Behaviors...Hmmm?