Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment 6.5 Unable to load Route to GPS

Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM
AndyNFW
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Infotainment 6.5 Unable to load Route to GPS

I read all the threads on the Infotainment system, and the poor implementation of the GPS and its capabilities, or lack thereof.
I nonetheless bought a new 2014 Limited and am now experiencing these issues. I successfully loaded a route, once, which had more then 9 points (way and via) and yes after the 9th there was no route. I was not leading our ride, I was testing the device, so it did not surprise me or even matter.
However, today no matter what I tried I could not get a route to load (it only has 8 waypoints, all developed in Base camp).
The attached picture is what I get, the system recognized the USB drive, it brought up the route and all the waypoints, I selected all, then the import Icon, and 5 minutes nada!
Any suggestions. (other than hooking up my trusty and reliable Garmin?)

Attached Thumbnails Infotainment 6.5 Unable to load Route to GPS-photo.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AndyNFW
I read all the threads on the Infotainment system, and the poor implementation of the GPS and its capabilities, or lack thereof.
I nonetheless bought a new 2014 Limited and am now experiencing these issues. I successfully loaded a route, once, which had more then 9 points (way and via) and yes after the 9th there was no route. I was not leading our ride, I was testing the device, so it did not surprise me or even matter.
However, today no matter what I tried I could not get a route to load (it only has 8 waypoints, all developed in Base camp).
The attached picture is what I get, the system recognized the USB drive, it brought up the route and all the waypoints, I selected all, then the import Icon, and 5 minutes nada!
Any suggestions. (other than hooking up my trusty and reliable Garmin?)
Don't select all. You need to read a thread, as we went through all this in that thread, I will find it and post the link here.

The quick is, ONLY select the route(s), no points or the stops.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Go here read this post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/12536668-post24.html

But then read that entire thread, see if it shines some light on it for you.

HTH

Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
AndyNFW
Intermediate

I appreciate your quick response and link. However, I am confused. I hope you can bear with me.
When I create routes in Garmin, I make them up from a number of waypoints, and then if necessary make a few route corrections. In the case of the route I can't load, all it is, is 8 waypoints (or POI's). So how do I get it to load these?
Should I create SEVEN routes? I think this is what I am reading into what your post says....

Last edited by AndyNFW; 04-24-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Talking

I appreciate your quick response and link. However, I am confused. I hope you can bear with me.
When I create routes in Garmin, I make them up from a number of waypoints, and then if necessary make a few route corrections. In the case of the route I can't load, all it is, is 8 waypoints (or POI's). So how do I get it to load these?
Should I create SEVEN routes? I think this is what I am reading into what your post says....
No problem and welcome to the confused club!

Here is again the Q & D, the waypoints are actually embedded in the routes, if you reread my examples in that thread, I loaded a route with the WP's and without. They show up in either case.

Yes, if your POI's are places you want to visit, then those become your starting and end points for the trip. So you create legs, each leg is its own trip. Those little trips become your one big trip.

Ya gotta get away from the Garmin "think", that was my issue as well.

And yes, this is not desirable, agreed, but it is how it is for now, until the MOCO makes some software changes.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM
AndyNFW
Intermediate

Great. I will go into the garage now and see if I have it....
As an aside on this topic, when i went to Daytona I got talking with a Harley person, who supposedly knew about the GPS. When i brought up the issues being seen, he said there was a s/w update in the works for the 9 waypoint issue... Wait and see i suppose...
But when i mentioned the Lifetime maps one gets with Garmin v. what Harley is going to charge, he said the system and the pricing was more in line with the automotive model. I thought this an odd/ironic response for a company that proudly sells motorcycles as the antithesis of the CAGE!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 PM
AndyNFW
Intermediate

ChristoHD, success. I loaded as individual routes. Tomorrow I will ride these and confirm... Thanks again for your help.
Andy

Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

ChristoHD, success. I loaded as individual routes. Tomorrow I will ride these and confirm... Thanks again for your help.
Andy
Andy,
Glad I could help. Let me know how it goes after your test ride tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 AM
AndyNFW
Intermediate

As promised here is my update.
The GPS worked just fine. I found the issue others have mentioned, about not being precise on reaching a waypoint and the system constantly trying to get you back to it.
The one thing I have seen in the forum threads but really did not take too much attention to was the the GPS display itself.
Yesterday the Map display would be either Night mode or Day mode. It seemed to alternate between the two. We were stopping a lot and switching the bikes off.
Anyone got an update on that one?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

As promised here is my update.
The GPS worked just fine. I found the issue others have mentioned, about not being precise on reaching a waypoint and the system constantly trying to get you back to it.
The one thing I have seen in the forum threads but really did not take too much attention to was the the GPS display itself.
Yesterday the Map display would be either Night mode or Day mode. It seemed to alternate between the two. We were stopping a lot and switching the bikes off.
Anyone got an update on that one?
You can turn that off, in the Nav settings, under display.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infotainment 6.5 Unable to load Route to GPS