Sponsored by:

Tour-pak 12v accessory radio interference

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 PM
BDUB1605
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour-pak 12v accessory radio interference

On my 14 Limited whenever I plug anything in the 12 volt accessory plug, I instantly lose all reception on my FM and weather band. If I plug same thing into the front accessory port I can hear the reception get a little static but doesn't cut the reception out. I want to believe it is a ground issue but that would make me think that the same thing would happen on both ports. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it. I can't charge my phone and listen to the radio at the same time.

It is the boom 6.5 touch screen model. Software is up to date.

If this was posted on another thread, could you link me to it since I searched and couldn't find anything. Which is hard to believe since I have to identical bikes doing the same thing in my garage.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by BDUB1605; 05-24-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:33 PM
BDUB1605
Novice

Come on guys, doesn't anyone have any idea?

Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 AM
spr0k3t
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this, disconnect the rear primary wire to the tourpak and check if plugging in on the fairing continues to have issues. If this is the case, then yes... It is a ground issue. The reason why the difference would be due to resistance and impedence load. Grounding out the antenna prior to the post would cause such an issue. Give your shop tech a call and see what they can come up with. I'm sure it is a warranty issue.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 AM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, mine does it too, I've said this in another thread, my 11 TK did it also, only on FM though, other media, CD's (11 TK) and USB are fine!!

Ady

Old 05-25-2014, 06:45 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of "anything" are you plugging in?

Are you plugging in a phone charger, mp3 player charger, anything that is powering something else or even just an accessory extension causes it?
Ex: If you're plugging in a cigarette lighter extension cable with no power being drawn through it and the problem occurs, that would be tough to explain.

Edit-Update> I have an Ultra not a Limited, so I don't have a rear accessory plug. And an after-market powered antenna hidden in the fairing.

This is with the bike in ACC.
I tuned the radio to a weak station, I do hear it.
When I plug the phone charger (without the phone attached) into the fairing accessory plug I got some static. When I plugged the phone in and it charged, I lost the station.

At least with the phone and charger, I'm guessing the problem is the charging system being noisy.

The schematic and a quick check shows the AM/FM/WB and CB antennas having their own good ground from the perspective radio, nothing is grounded piggy-backed to something else. The metal base plate in the fairing is grounded, I assume that is for the CB antenna, it needs a ground plane.

spr0k3t please explain "Grounding out the antenna prior to the post would cause such an issue."

Ride Safe,

Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear

having same issue with my 2014 Limited!
either cig lighter or I turn on my "strobes"....radio and CB go to static
I can replicate

Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 AM
jcrossno
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At one time I thought it was just the area I lived in, because from day one I'd always had my phone plugged in, in the tour pack of my '14 Ultra Limited, and connected via Bluetooth to the Sena in my helmet. All this riding season, I've not done that, except when riding in a group, in which case I've not plugged in my phone at all.
A few days ago, I plugged my phone in again, following someone's suggestion about pairing and connecting it to the bike and my Sena. Anyway, all of a sudden my radio reception goes South again. This thread confirms that it's no coincidence.

While reading this thread, I thought I'd try the grounding check, but after reading all of it I'm not sure that will help... Has anyone found a solution?

Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
rdm97apd
Novice

Mine does the same thing, but when I tried to show it to the tech at the dealer, the problem did not present itself. I'm not sure of it's a bad ground or not. I might try to ground the negative side to the frame somewhere by splicing into the negative lead, leaving the lead attached to the harness and grounded. I dont know if it will make a difference, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM
jmeleshenko
6th Gear

i found my issue with interference!
the previous owner purchased a HD powered antenna for the fairing!
removed it and have no more issues