Sponsored by:

Review: DIY Rushmore 1000 mile fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:07 PM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Review: DIY Rushmore 1000 mile fluid change

Well....I'm headed out for a 1000 mile ride next weekend and I have 985 miles on the bike. My plane landed early from Rochester, MN so I decided to jump in and do it.

What a pain! But if you take your time....it's really not that bad.

OIL >

The draining wasn't that bad....it was a bit of a pain to take the drain bolt off because the bike is so low to the ground. replaced the rubber ring and reinstalled. The filter even with the special HD whatchamacallit drain cup it still got everywhere. It's also a pain to get the filter remover/installer cup off with the wires and stuff in the way. Which there was an easier way. Put in 3.5 quarts and think I'll be needing a touch more.

Does it matter if you check it hot or cold?

Primary >

Pretty straight forward. Replaced the orange gasket inside the derby cover and tighened the bolts in the wrong pattern so I loosened them and re-tighented in the correct pattern. You'd think they would sell 38 ounce bottles of fluid for it. A bit of a pain to pour 32 then have to open another for 6 more ounces.

Transmission >

Easy to tighten the drain bolt with a torque wrench due to the positioning of the bolt. Fill was a major pain other than just draining well and pouring 28 ounces. You can't see clean fluid on the dipstick AT ALL so I am just hoping it was at the correct level with 28oz. I have an EZ UP Centerstand and I must say the fluid ran down the entire length of the centerstand mounting bracket and puddled on the other side of the bike. THAT was a huge pain.

The oil plug was metal flake free but the primary and tranny had a touch of flakes (VERY LITTLE) and a bit of caked on metal sludge.

All in all...the filter was a major PITA but other than that....all else was OK.

I am used to the Goldwing which is oil, fliter and done. Every 30K I would change the final drive fluid.

Oh....I used >

Amsoil > 20W-50 Full Synth
Primary > Formula +
Tranny > Amsoil Full Synth 75W-110

Any filter removal - replacement tips for next time?

Dave

Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

>> Does it matter if you check it hot or cold?

You should be checking engine oil at full operating temp. After a change, I ride it enough to get it up to full temp... check the dipstick... and then make a final small addition if needed.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:17 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by MysticTraveler
>> Does it matter if you check it hot or cold?

You should be checking engine oil at full operating temp. After a change, I ride it enough to get it up to full temp... check the dipstick... and then make a final small addition if needed.

THANK YOU MT !!!

I'll take her out for a spin tomorrow and top off.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
toyman57
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

Changed mine yesterday, same oil the OP used except 20-50 Amsoil Syn in primary. Engine took about 3.4 quarts to bring oil to the full line hot. Oil cooler and lines must hold a little over a half quart. Noticed neutral easier to find and bike seems to be a bit quieter. The rest of the 1000 service mi will be this weekend. Love the bike

Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You have PLENTY of oil in the engine. You don't want the level at the top of the gauge. Manual says the middle which is where mine is with only 3 qts. Otherwise you will be pulling oil into your air filter. You would be surprised how much oil expands when it gets hot! I agree the filter is a pain especially with the cooler lines right above. I only have the HD strap wrench and couldn't get it on the filter without disconnecting the cooler lines. I have to buy the cup style wrench or go to a K&N filter that has a nut on the end. Yes oil everywhere... pull off the plastic oil cooler cover and wipe it out or it will drip from there for days...

Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
You have PLENTY of oil in the engine. You don't want the level at the top of the gauge. Manual says the middle which is where mine is with only 3 qts. Otherwise you will be pulling oil into your air filter. You would be surprised how much oil expands when it gets hot! I agree the filter is a pain especially with the cooler lines right above. I only have the HD strap wrench and couldn't get it on the filter without disconnecting the cooler lines. I have to buy the cup style wrench or go to a K&N filter that has a nut on the end. Yes oil everywhere... pull off the plastic oil cooler cover and wipe it out or it will drip from there for days...
K&N with the nut....great suggestion. THANK YOU !

Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

13 Heritage here. Did my 1K myself last year. Just the other day did my 5K. Remove oil filter and no matter what, you guessed it, everywhere but into the drain pan. Engine, primary, and transmission though easy on the Softail. Now I reused my original o rings and primary gasket on the 1K service. Changed all on this recent service.
Used same oil that I use in my Cessna, Mobil 1

Old 06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DBLXX
K&N with the nut....great suggestion. THANK YOU !
Only way to go, been using them for years!...Part # is K&N 171C for Chrome, or K&N 171B for Black.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any suggestions on where to get the K&N filters? Thanks for the part numbers

Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM
DBLXX
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
Any suggestions on where to get the K&N filters? Thanks for the part numbers
Amazon - search 171B

$10 and change. Free delivery for prime members.

Quick Reply: Review: DIY Rushmore 1000 mile fluid change