2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 download, does it actually make the bike run cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 PM
sfvas
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stage 1 download, does it actually make the bike run cooler?

So my plan is to change the AC to a SE stage one breather and put on some slip-ons, like Vance Hines or Reinheart... so question is w/ the download after I do the minor mods, will that make is run a bit cooler? I thought the ECM and the download will still keep the ratios on the lean side due to EPA/CARB requirements - but have read on HD forum that it will make the bike run better and cooler? Am I missing something? Yes, I know that changing headers and getting rid of CAT, with a fuel pack or something like that is another option... trying to keep it more on the stock side but want it to last long.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It'll run slightly cooler. But it'll run a whole lot better!! Really woke my 2011 up when I had it done. I mean WOKE IT UP!!

Only reason I did it was because I was getting a lot of decel pop when I put on V&H Monster Rounds. No other mods, but I got the popping so I did the download.

I'm sure if you want to drop the coin on a tuner, and get rid of that cat, it'll run a lot cooler.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

With a dealer download you're really not going to gain much in the way of performance or temperature.

It will fatten the mix up. Some.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Some People

Some People think instead of Dealer download the VIED's will do about same result, but then for a bit more $ you can get a tuner that will really make it right? This discussion always leaves more questions than answers for me.
Let us know what you do/results
Hap

Old 06-12-2014, 08:31 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

I did the SE tuner, pipes and dyno. I'll admit i wanted some more sound and i wanted what was best for the engine and me. so that was the whole deal, dyno etc.

And is it cooler, no cat, better flow, i guess it is, it does sound and run good. Actual temperature numbers on the info system would be nice, so i can't definitely say it is cooler, in theory it is

Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
With a dealer download you're really not going to gain much in the way of performance or temperature.

It will fatten the mix up. Some.
What he said. The DOWNLOAD will only compensate for the changes caused by the intake and pipes. It will still be a (hot) EPA compliant tune. To cool it down or really wake it up, it needs to be tuned.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Id go with some vied's instead of the dealer download. Ideal would be to get a real tuner

Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I was told that stage one download richens the mixture to where it is noticeably cooler and more powerful. I asked the same question. They said audits aren't done by the government at this time and the minute they do all dealers with run away fast from the downloads and it will kill the aftermarket exhaust makers etc. Hoping that day doesn't come they said.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

I did the dealer download, v and h slip ons, decat, the bike runs great. Different dealers and techs all said not to waste money on a tuner. So far they are right.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

My last HD, went with true dual rineharts, stage 1 AC, and HD Super Tuner Pro before I put the Heavy breather and new cams in. Took two dyno sessions to get it tuned right. Ran better than stock. Cooler? Not noticeably.

New 14 Ultra, went with street cannons, stage 1 AC and download. Runs better than stock. Cooler? Not noticeably. But it was one heck of a lot cheaper than going the tuner route!! I'm happy with it and glad I didn't go down the tuner route again.

Last edited by Yukon42; 06-12-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 download, does it actually make the bike run cooler?