Sponsored by:

Compass on the GPS screen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Scaffido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compass on the GPS screen.

So the compass on my gps screen that's above the hamburger symbol on the left is always pointed in a different direction. One half is red and the other half is white. It would be my understanding that the red arrow should always point North correct????
Mine is pointed in different directions every thine I'm on the bike.
Is there something that isn't set right on the bike or something I can do to correct this???

Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Elmicko
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can set the GPS to either show your route as up (arrow will move based on your direction) or with North always up (screen will rotate based on your direction but North is always up). Personally having North always up drives me nuts I would rather have my direction of travel being up.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

As Elmiclo said arrow points in the direction you are going. That is the red section of the arrow. There is nothing wrong that is the way it should work.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 AM
Scaffido
Tourer
Thumbs up

Ok. I get it.... So if I'm heading west, the red arrow should be pointing left or say 9:00 per a clock.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:10 AM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, when set to "heading up", red(or sometimes white) will point north. If you have set to "North up", then the compass would always point north, and the icon (arrow or bike) will point the direction of the compass you are going.

I have found when it's set to "heading up", the white or red may point north. Unaware of any fix, but does seem silly.

It seems to start at red north, but if do a twisty route, it may change around somehow. Guess I just need to be aware of where the sun is, or know the stars.

Last edited by riderideride; 07-05-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 AM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It points in the direction you are heading. Heading west it will point to the 9:00 pos, heading south it will point to the 6:00 position, heading east it will point to the 3:00 pos, heading north it will point to the 12:00 pos.

It drove me crazy too till I figured out what its doing!!!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know how anybody can read a GPS map with "Direction Up" display? If you close your eyes and picture your State/County/Town in in your head, isn't it North up...Same as you'd read a map?

If you're holding a paper map, do you turn it sideways and upside down to read it based on what direction your going?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scaffido
Ok. I get it.... So if I'm heading west, the red arrow should be pointing left or say 9:00 per a clock.

Yes, so long as you have "heading up" selected.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 AM
Glenbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrenn
It points in the direction you are heading. Heading west it will point to the 9:00 pos, heading south it will point to the 6:00 position, heading east it will point to the 3:00 pos, heading north it will point to the 12:00 pos.

It drove me crazy too till I figured out what its doing!!!
Exactly! Seemed weird. Makes sense now.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 AM
jkane13
Tourer

Even now that I know what it's doing, it still drives me crazy! I want the map to rotate showing the direction I am going, not always north. The compass should then point north like a compass in the real world does or not be there at all. Pointing the "relative" direction I am going makes no sense at all. The rotated map is already telling me about my relative direction in a much more intuitive way.

Quick Reply: Compass on the GPS screen.