Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drive & Review FLHXS (Long Read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM
stonestreet
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive & Review FLHXS (Long Read)

I test drove a Street Glide Special one day at the local dealer which totaled about 4 miles. The salesman had a stage 4 bike that was so loud I could not even hear the bike i was on. When we got back to the dealership they asked if i was ready to start the paperwork. I said, "No, I am going to ABC Harley and I am going to ride another one." They asked why and I explained I never got a good feel for the bike and I wanted to ride more and on different types of roads to help make a decision on spending $20K plus. The sales manager comes by and tells me to hang on a second, he is going to hook me up. He comes back a few mins later and says sorry, come back another day since they were closing in less than an hour and I can take an extended test ride.

A few days later I contact him and let him know I want to do the extended test drive - hoping to take it for a few more miles and get a good idea what this bike is all about. He says no problem - come in and I can take one overnight! I was shocked and excited so I raced right to the dealer and hit the road on an Amber Whiskey SGS with 65 miles.

INITIAL OBSERVATIONS:
HEAT!HEAT!HEAT! Wow this thing is really hot! I currently ride a water cooled shadow 600 so this is what sticks out most in my mind and what I noticed the most. The day I rode it was not that hot out - low to mid 80s - but I was in lots of stop and go -bumper to bumper - traffic at times. Once on the open road it was OK but I found myself sticking my right leg out and putting the feet on the crash bar to cool a bit. I guess that is something you just get used to. I had read a lot about the heat but even with that warning, I was surprised it got that hot! After thinking about this issue, I like to ride in the cold so in that weather it would be even more comfortable so all in all, not that big of an issue. Just surprised me.

SEAT - at first I thought this was extremely hard and not that comfortable but after several hours of riding, it was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. On the first test ride I was not happy with the riding position and even started a post on here for advice about getting more laid back seating position and closer to the bars because i am short. I even tried a demo reduced reach seat (Nut buster) - could not sit on it for more than 30 seconds. But after riding for two days, I found the seating position and the seat very comfortable and would probably keep it stock.

RIDE - Ride was pretty harsh but I was expecting that because of the suspension and had read about it. It is excellent on smooth pavement and handled great.

TRANS - I read a lot of posts on here about trouble finding neutral and was ready for a challenge. This was one big hang up I had because the Honda tranny is smooth as silk and i can find neutral very easily. I didnt want to spend over 20 grand on a bike I cant get into neutral and my 20 year old honda shifts beautifully. I like to go to second as I approach a stop then click down to neutral as i roll up and let the clutch out. I found this to be very easy on the harley much to my surprise. Using the front or rear shifter i found neutral 95% of the time. The tranny really surprised me because i like it way better than the honda. Easy for me to find neutral and when downshifting I would blip the throttle to rev match and it was the most natural feeling tranny i have ever operated. What a dream to run up and down the gears on this thing! Amazing!

ENGINE - Other than the heat, there are no complaints. I am only 145lbs so plenty of power for me. Could be just a little louder but OK for stock. Again a dream to ride- the motor runs smooth and looks great.

INFOTAINMENT - I read a lot of bad reviews also about the speakers but when i got on the bike, I was again pleasantly surprised at their performance. 90mph on the freeway and they were clear as day. I thought I would have to replace immediately but I would not change these speakers for a while if i bought this bike. Did not use the nav much yet but the interaction on the handlebars and that whole system is pretty slick.

Overall, this bike gets a 9.5 out of 10 for me. I was putting off a test ride because i thought i would like it too much and never want to ride my bike again and that is exactly what has happened. I am not purchasing yet because I am waiting for the 2015 bikes to come out to see if there will be any changes. If not, I will track down a Morocco Gold 2014 if there is one available or get a 2015.

I wrote this post for people looking at these bikes still thinking about buying one. I had very high expectations before the test ride and I can honestly say I was still blown away by the whole experience. The sound, feel, ride, up and downshifting, felt like the most natural thing in the world for me. The most enjoyable experience I have ever had on two wheels by far!!!

I rode the bike so much the first day I had to go home because my left hand hurt so bad, i could not operate the clutch any longer. ( Too much traffic riding but I wanted to experience everything I would in normal riding)

The only issues I had were at low speeds - I could use some practice at low speed maneuvering. I was a little nervous at times because the bike felt a little big for me (I am 140lbs, 5'6") I think with more experience it would not be a problem or I could have MCC customize a seat to get me a little lower to the ground.

If you are looking at one of these rushmore bikes, definitely test ride one! at your own risk! (you will want to own one if you do!)

Thanks to everyone that responded to my previous posts and answered all my questions helping find the right bike for me.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

A lot of people just like to complain, these are great bikes that's why I bought one. I'm just a little bigger than you. You will adapt to the bike (slow speed maneuvering) very quickly.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought id miss my lowrider because I had it set up perfect for me and loved that it was set up the way I wanted it. For the last two years, I had wanted to just add a street glide to the garage and have both. Couldn't afford that, so I traded it in on a 2014 street glide. I haven't looked back since. The stock pipes could be a touch more aggressive sounding, but I am very pleased with my bike and I am really glad I finally got it.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You will get used to the low speed. My wife took a little bit (she is 5' 4" and just over a buck)

As far as the heat, you have to remember this bike is 1800 cc and your old bike is 600 cc

Imagine how much heat 2 extra motors between your legs on your Honda would put out!

I had a Nomad 1500 that was liquid cooled. I can tell you that it put out as much heat as the Harley did while you are sitting at a light.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

welcome to the jungle.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Beagletim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was fun reading about your experience and I agree with many of your comments. The SGS is a fun bike to ride, very responsive and well behaved. The ride is a little harsh on rough roads but then again it is built more for performance and looks, than dealing with potholes. You'll get use to slow speed handling and that's when it clicks and you realize how much you enjoy the SGS. All of the items that may be negatives can be easliy addressed via different pipes and a little seat work. Good luck on your decision and keep us posted on which bike you get.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as the heat..you can always put on a heat shield.you can just about make it out just under my seat....works for me!

also...I am 5'6"....with a 29" inseam...MCC has my seat as I type....getting it to lower me.....

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Your write up was certainly a joy to read written by someone who does not own one yet vs the many post on here from those who do complaining about this or that. I too found this bike to be as Awesome as you and instead of purchasing a new front tire for my '11 SG, I went from the parts dept. to the sales and have no regrets. I know you will enjoy the ride if you so choose to acquire a 14 or 15. I doubt very much there will be any changes to the '15 so maybe consider grabbing a good deal on a '14 if there is such a thing.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

It's great to read a positive review. Come back in August and let us know which bike you bought.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bzb123
As far as the heat, you have to remember this bike is 1800 cc and your old bike is 600 cc
And air cooled vs. liquid cooled. But you're correct, it is 3 times the displacement, it will definitely pump some heat.

Quick Reply: Test Drive & Review FLHXS (Long Read)