Sponsored by:

Clutch/Brake lever replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch/Brake lever replacement

I just ordered all the parts to swap my bars out for some 12" MBB's. I figured while I was at it I would change the clutch/brake levers out to match the new grips. Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for the levers. I have the service manual so i'll refer to it as well. Thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Custom96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What levers did you order? I'm waiting for RSD to make a set. (Drag says they have them but it's a misprint)

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM
jb27
Tourer

I ordered the HD Edge Cut grips/levers. I have a RSD Venturi 5 Speed air cleaner, so the HD Edge cut pair up nicely. I'm going with black bars too.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jb27
I just ordered all the parts to swap my bars out for some 12" MBB's. I figured while I was at it I would change the clutch/brake levers out to match the new grips. Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for the levers. I have the service manual so i'll refer to it as well. Thanks
By tips do you installation tips?

Follow the service manual and it's super easy. I read all sorts of warnings on the forum about how easy it was to break the brake switch and tips to hold it in, etc. If you follow the service manual, it tells you to remove the lever mounts from the bars first. It's then IMPOSSIBLE to mess up the brake light switch.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
1965f100
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed the Edge Cut levers on my Limited. The clutch is super easy, pull the pin and swap the lever. The brake, you have to disassemble the controls and the lever assembly. The brake lever has a "head" on it that will not slip out just by pulling the pin. And, the way the controls interlock with the lever housing, all of it has to come apart.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:32 PM
jb27
Tourer

Thanks, that's the kind of advice I was looking for. I was reading about some of the earlier models and folks recommending to use a piece of cardboard to avoid damaging the brake switch. I probably should have pulled out the manual first and read it and then asked (intelligent) questions. Will do so later if there's any confusion before I do the install.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The older bikes had more problems removing the levers, the brake light switch button was small and delicate. You had to put a zip tie in behind the lever. Not any more. I plan on installing my Edge Cut levers tomoro night. Got the levers today and thought I'd read the instructions that came with the levers. The instructions included with the levers say "follow the manual". Not sure why they bother putting a sheet in there then. The brake lever is kinda hooked in there and as stated before, you have to take the switch housing loose to hook it back.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:31 PM
jb27
Tourer

OK, this is where it will become abundantly clear that I am by no means a mechanic...

Can someone point me to the section of the service manual for the brake lever removal? For the life of me I can't seem to find it. I see on pg 2-37 the instructions for removal of the front brake master cylinder, but I'm thinking this isn't it. Surely you don't have to remove/drain the master cylinder to replace the brake lever.

Found the section for the clutch removal and seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Damn_Yankee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jb27
OK, this is where it will become abundantly clear that I am by no means a mechanic...

Can someone point me to the section of the service manual for the brake lever removal? For the life of me I can't seem to find it. I see on pg 2-37 the instructions for removal of the front brake master cylinder, but I'm thinking this isn't it. Surely you don't have to remove/drain the master cylinder to replace the brake lever.

Found the section for the clutch removal and seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks!
I haven't done it, but if I were to do it, I wouldn't drain the master cylinder. I'd do steps 6 through 8 on 2-37 to remove the old lever, and steps 1 through 4 under installation on 2-39 to install the new one.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Damn_Yankee
I haven't done it, but if I were to do it, I wouldn't drain the master cylinder. I'd do steps 6 through 8 on 2-37 to remove the old lever, and steps 1 through 4 under installation on 2-39 to install the new one.
I don't have the manual in front of me but if my feeble memory servers me right, that's where the directions for the lever removal are - buried within the master cylinder instructions. As stated above, just follow the directions for the removal and installation of the lever itself.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Brake lever replacement