Sponsored by:

30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 AM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01XLH
I wouldn't say I (we?) hijacked the thread, just added a bit of levity to it.

And brand loyalty is a remarkable thing. A study over a decade ago showed that HD had the highest loyalty of all American companies. That may slip a bit after this Rushmore fiasco.

OK back to the P.O.S. Infotainment/GPS comments
That's the funny thing about brand loyalty - different perspectives give totally different opinions. But from everything I've been reading up here most people pretty much love their Rushmores - not really a fiasco. The other interesting thing is that most people come to the internet to bitch, not talk about how great things are. So what you read is generally somewhat skewed.

Anyway, I love my Rushmore (after initially NOT liking it during the test ride - my thread about that and how I came around is floating around here somewhere) and really like the Infortainment center. Way better than anything I've ever had before!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenralf
...you are wrong.

For me it is not that important what kind of bike I am riding. I did also test rides on the Goldwing. Unfortunately they have the same issue with a navigation on board which not fullfills my requirements. Important for me is comfort and a satisfied pillon. But also a perfect navigation.
I have comfort and perfect navigation at the moment together with a hell of power. Sometimes I feel that bit is too much for me. What is missing is the satisfied pillon. On the K1200LT she was...but on the K1600GTL she is not. Did a 300km test ride on the HD and she was smiling. Let's see what the announced update will bring...Got a concrete quote. Even 10k€ higher than my current one. But I don't want to be the richest on the grave yard...
Ralf
There are some here who own both brands. I'm not sure what is meant by BMW not having an infotainment system. In the state's we only get the premium models though you can order a standard model without the good stuff. I can't use the full system because I refused to spend $1500 on the required helmet/BMW Bluetooth setup that would only work with a BMW. Two very different ride experiences between the brands, and I love both.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 AM
frankenralf
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sectime
I can't use the full system because I refused to spend $1500 on the required helmet/BMW Bluetooth setup that would only work with a BMW. Two very different ride experiences between the brands, and I love both.
I have the Baehr intercom but also without, the audio output of the navigation comes through the standard speakers.
Agreed. I would also love both. But not the hits from my wife if I go too fast.
That's the reason why I want to get rid of the K1600. Navigation is on the other hand very important for me. A solution like that:

Navigation in Taiwan.

would destroy the whole design.

Ralf

Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 AM
sectime
Tourer

Originally Posted by frankenralf
I have the Baehr intercom but also without, the audio output of the navigation comes through the standard speakers.
Agreed. I would also love both. But not the hits from my wife if I go too fast.
That's the reason why I want to get rid of the K1600. Navigation is on the other hand very important for me. A solution like that:

Navigation in Taiwan.

would destroy the whole design.

Ralf
Wife refuses to ride with me on the K16GT, or some of my other go fast bikes.
Really I can't understand why

Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Wife refuses to ride with me on the K16GT, or some of my other go fast bikes.
Really I can't understand why
Not impressed, not at all. Stupidity sometimes amazes me, but doesn't impress me.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM
sectime
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kevinch
Not impressed, not at all. Stupidity sometimes amazes me, but doesn't impress me.
Ok grand dad I'll get off your lawn too.
Question: is it stupid to sit in a metal tube with temps at -30 degrees inches from me going 500 mph? Taking calculated risks is a part of a full life. Otherwise you become that old Harley commercial about the old man sitting on the porch. Maybe I should have PM the picture to whom I was talking.
Oh and eat crap

Last edited by sectime; 07-30-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok grand dad I'll get off your lawn too.
Question: is it stupid to sit in a metal tube with temps at -30 degrees inches from me going 500 mph? Taking calculated risks is a part of a full life. Otherwise you become that old Harley commercial about the old man sitting on the porch. Maybe I should have PM the picture to whom I was talking.
Oh and eat crap

I'm looking at is an empty public road, without benefit of privatization, without being swept or inspected, no emergency services present, at a bike being driven over 200MPH by a maybe a husband & a father, thinking he is so cool he takes a pic & posts it on a public forum, grins, & says "look at me on my Beemer".

So where's your wheelie and stoppie pics?

So..you posted it, I made my comment. Here's another: grow up, get responsible, & get on a track. Still not impressed...but becoming more amazed (see above). I'm done.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM
sectime
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kevinch

I'm looking at is an empty public road, without benefit of privatization, without being swept or inspected, no emergency services present, at a bike being driven over 200MPH by a maybe a husband & a father, thinking he is so cool he takes a pic & posts it on a public forum, grins, & says "look at me on my Beemer".

So where's your wheelie and stoppie pics?

So..you posted it, I made my comment. Here's another: grow up, get responsible, & get on a track. Still not impressed...but becoming more amazed (see above). I'm done.
Yoda much you see in one picture...
With the road prep and look outs I felt safer there than I do riding my 900 pound Limited toward someone with their left turn signal on, just get over yourself and move on.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I am amazed by the whining about the gps. It's a technical tool and as such will have it's quirks. I am fortunate to traveled over 300,000 miles on two wheels, and over 1.25 million by cage. My 14 U-L with about 3,000 miles on it is the 1st vehicle ever with gps. Maps work wonders and you should never let a gps lead you by the nose when riding outside of your home base. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough. The 2014 U-L is the best touring ride ever.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Frankly, every GPS I have ever used has been a PITA.

The last GARMIN I had wanted me to drive DOWN Freemont Street in Vegas. Yea, that would have ended well.

Most important thing I have learned when using a GPS: Learn when to ignore it.

The fact that it came on my Limited had NOTHING to do with my buying the bike. Just like the CB. Will probably never use either. I figure the GPS will maybe save my bacon one day when Im lost, or get me to a gas station if need be. Other than that, I have no need or use for it.

It aint the greatest, but nobody ever said it was. And most didn't bother to ask before buying.

Quick Reply: 30k Ultra Limited GPS not really usable