Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom 6.5 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard about the CB bug before but on a group vacation last week I never bothered to turn it off and never had a problem. Occasionally after transmitting on the CB the intercom VOX wouldn't work though. I never did figure out if waiting or transmitting again kicked the VOX back on but it always came back eventually. Due to nav issues I often turn the bike on to ACC to keep the nav alive, especially at a quick gas stop.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Most of the radio issues are probably really BCM issues. Remember, there is no direct connection from the handlebar controls to the radio except via the BCM. While the touch screen should be internal to the radio, all volume & mode inputs are from the BCM. Don't know how fast the BCM processor is, but from the delays for simple things like activating the horn, it seems to be fairly slow to me.

I agree that the voltage drop when starting the bike seems to affect the radio boot process, particularly if you don't wait long enough for the boot process to complete; the disclaimer accept screen comes up long before the boot process completes. This leads to all types of odd issues, many times repeatable, but sometimes not.

I have been turning the ignition switch to ACC to let the BCM/radio boot up while I'm gearing up. I use ACC because it boots fine in this position & uses less battery energy because the headlight/tail lights are off (TP side markers are on, but still less draw than in ON position). Once I'm ready I check to verify the boot has completed by checking status line for bluetooth, CB, intercom icons are there, then select the NAV button to verify the NAV is also ready. When confirmed, I turn ignition switch to ON, wait for dash warning lights to go out, then start the engine. After it's started, I then go into the menu system to cycle the CB off then on (failing to do this keeps the CB inoperative when the transmit button is depressed).

This sequence probably takes longer to do than to read, so learn patience; you should find your self having less infotainment system issues if you can do this. If you ride a lot with others, it's going to be hard to wait long enough, but if you turn to ACC before starting to gear up, it helps.

Enjoy your new ride!
It does sound like the BCM needs updating. I've noticed many times that when I go to use the toggle to advance to the next preset, it requires 2 activations on the toggle to get it to advance. The first activation wakes the system up, then the second activation advances the preset. But if you try it sooner than about 5 minutes, the toggle works fine. I've tried this on new bikes on the showroom floor and they all respond the same way. But unless others complain about it, Harley will never know about it.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhawk85u
I heard about the CB bug before but on a group vacation last week I never bothered to turn it off and never had a problem. Occasionally after transmitting on the CB the intercom VOX wouldn't work though. I never did figure out if waiting or transmitting again kicked the VOX back on but it always came back eventually. Due to nav issues I often turn the bike on to ACC to keep the nav alive, especially at a quick gas stop.
To further qualify the CB issue, it was not present in the early version of 1.17.4, but the version of 1.17.4 that I downloaded on 6/26/14 does have the CB issue. I suspect there are at least 2 builds labeled 1.17.4 & the later download was changed in an attempt to shorten boot times by eliminating/modifying some of the original boot up subroutines? In any event, the CB problem is not present in all downloads of 1.17.4 so your experience may differ from mine.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

To further qualify the CB issue, it was not present in the early version of 1.17.4, but the version of 1.17.4 that I downloaded on 6/26/14 does have the CB issue. I suspect there are at least 2 builds labeled 1.17.4 & the later download was changed in an attempt to shorten boot times by eliminating/modifying some of the original boot up subroutines? In any event, the CB problem is not present in all downloads of 1.17.4 so your experience may differ from mine.
That doesn't sound right to me. Being in the software field, I can't see anyone releasing two different versions of any software with the same version number. It just isn't done. There would be no way to track such a situation. If there were multiple .4's, there would be a different build number or other identifier. There would never be two different software versions with the exact same numbering scheme.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by offthewall
That doesn't sound right to me. Being in the software field, I can't see anyone releasing two different versions of any software with the same version number. It just isn't done. There would be no way to track such a situation. If there were multiple .4's, there would be a different build number or other identifier. There would never be two different software versions with the exact same numbering scheme.
Normally, I would agree, but first hand experience with a 1.17.4 downloaded in Feb 2014 vs a 1.17.4 downloaded Jun 2014, both installed on the same bike, worked differently, consistently. I can't imagine any other reason for this except the downloads were somehow different.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Normally, I would agree, but first hand experience with a 1.17.4 downloaded in Feb 2014 vs a 1.17.4 downloaded Jun 2014, both installed on the same bike, worked differently, consistently. I can't imagine any other reason for this except the downloads were somehow different.
Did you go back and forth and repeat the issue(s) with each version more than once? That is the only way to prove such a thing. There are too many variables involved if you only noticed it one time to make such a conclusion.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Did you go back and forth and repeat the issue(s) with each version more than once? That is the only way to prove such a thing. There are too many variables involved if you only noticed it one time to make such a conclusion.
If you're asking if I redid the early download, then went back to the later download, I did not.

I did the later download to my bike & observed how HDF reported functions worked on my bike. My buddy's bike with the early download consistently functioned differently. After doing the later download to his bike, it functioned the same as mine.

The only thing different besides the date of the downloads was the program used to unzip the iso file.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

If you're asking if I redid the early download, then went back to the later download, I did not. I did the later download to my bike & observed how HDF reported functions worked on my bike. My buddy's bike with the early download consistently functioned differently. After doing the later download to his bike, it functioned the same as mine. The only thing different besides the date of the downloads was the program used to unzip the iso file.
Sorry, it's the ex research scientist in me.

Your conclusion that there are two different .4's is random and not supported by the facts. It's also the unlikely conclusion. You could just as likely conclude that the act of applying the .4 update twice is what fixed your CB issue.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry, it's the ex research scientist in me.

Your conclusion that there are two different .4's is random and not supported by the facts. It's also the unlikely conclusion. You could just as likely conclude that the act of applying the .4 update twice is what fixed your CB issue.
Or.....

Some variables get reset to a default value that they didn't have before as a result of reinstalling.

But I digress...

Mine always comes up to the same song I was playing, or the same FM station I was listening to when I shut it off. No XM module here.

Only gripe is, with a USB stick it picks up the same song, but in it looses the context. For example, if I'm listening to an album, and a particular song, sometimes when I restart, I get the song, but the next song played is the next song alphabetically on the stick. Like it changed the context of the playlist from "Album" to "All Songs". Doesn't happen all the time tho.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM
parabians
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14 Limited has the same affliction. Good pointers on the thread. Thanks for posting and see if HD is listening and gets a fix pushed.