Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS ride planner HELP

Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 PM
shadogang
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS ride planner HELP

I have been trying to work with the route planning but, seem to not understand this. I was using a garmin and had route planning down with that but this one is giving me fits.

I plan a route in HD ride planner start point to first stop with 1 waypoint in the middle for road change. After the 1st stop continue on to last stop with 2 way point adjustments for roads. Under directions for the start point I selected avoid highways. Save and download to USB. Delete all previous attempts on bike and upload new ride. select the ride and import into bike. removed USB so I would look at what was on bike only.

When I go to trips I see the ride, select that and then I see:
Start
First stop name (which I gave in ride planner)
Via point 1
Via point 2
End stop name (again given in ride planner)

So now here is where I am having trouble. When I want to begin the ride which one am I selecting to go from and will it take me all the way thru or will I have to select another point after reaching a Stop or waypoint.

I have used inputted address on bike to go from where I am at to a final destination, but trying to use this with multiple points is giving me issues.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by shadogang
I have been trying to work with the route planning but, seem to not understand this. I was using a garmin and had route planning down with that but this one is giving me fits.

I plan a route in HD ride planner start point to first stop with 1 waypoint in the middle for road change. After the 1st stop continue on to last stop with 2 way point adjustments for roads. Under directions for the start point I selected avoid highways. Save and download to USB. Delete all previous attempts on bike and upload new ride. select the ride and import into bike. removed USB so I would look at what was on bike only.

When I go to trips I see the ride, select that and then I see:
Start
First stop name (which I gave in ride planner)
Via point 1
Via point 2
End stop name (again given in ride planner)

So now here is where I am having trouble. When I want to begin the ride which one am I selecting to go from and will it take me all the way thru or will I have to select another point after reaching a Stop or waypoint.

I have used inputted address on bike to go from where I am at to a final destination, but trying to use this with multiple points is giving me issues.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
If your start point & actual physical location aren't identical, the system adds routing to get you to your selected start. This usually causes confusion until you realize what's happening.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

If I understand your question - the aswer is depending if you have a stop or a waypoint - here is the difference.

If you leave from Michigan and go to California - and have no stops or waypoints, you will have one continuous route.

If you choose to stop overnight in Chicago (notice I said stop) - then you will have two routes.
Route 1 is from Michigan to Chicago ad route 2 is from Chicago to California.

If in ride planner, you click on the Chicago stop and change it to a waypoint, then the GPS will take you from Michigan to Chicago (to that waypoint) and then continue to California.

So, if that your question?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:54 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The GPS is the biggest disappointment. I put my Garmin back on my bike and gave up on Harley's peace of crap gps

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry to hear that VTwinbmx - I rather enjoy the new gps. It does take a little getting use to - but once you do, I think you will find this is a great system

Old 08-23-2014, 06:11 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I just took a trip from Pittsburgh to Ocean City, MD. Made the trip in Ride Planner to avoid the highways as much as I could. I made it in different legs to keep to the 9 waypoint limit. I soon realized the problem that Hammz mentions and then started each leg from "Via waypoint 1". That seemd to work OK.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Sorry to hear that VTwinbmx - I rather enjoy the new gps. It does take a little getting use to - but once you do, I think you will find this is a great system
I respectfully disagree.
It's not a matter of "getting used to" the HD gps. I've been using gps's since 1990 and have easily adjusted as the technology got more complex and the units could do more.

If the coding inside the automotive and hand-held units works*, there is no reason it can't be the same for the HD MC units.
The software code for our infotaiment units was poorly designed and written.

*Any gps can make a mistake, but the problems with the infotaiment GPS go far beyond a mistake.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM
shadogang
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So which location do I select to start the ride from. I have the start point and the stop point for the first leg. Seems confusing to have both points unless you are traveling from a separate location to the start point.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Shadogang - you don't want start points - you want trips.

So, as I mentioned above if you have stop points in ride planner, you will end up with several trips. After the first leg (suppose you named the trip Michigan) - lets say that came up ad Michigan, the next leg will show Michigan 1.

All you have to do is go to Michigan 1 and you will be routed. The next leg is Michigan 2.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

O1XLH - I respect your position. I believe I got my first GSP - Garmin 2620 back in the 1990s too.

While I agree there are some things that could have been done better, I have gotten use to the HD GPS and it has worked well for me.