Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software download problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM
benson1603
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the file has an .iso extension not a .zip.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Six7One
Tourer

Are you following the instructions to the letter? It should recognize the ISO file when it starts up and reads the thumb drive. It needs to be plugged in before you turn the bike on.
If you are, download the file again. Extract the files, copy them to a thumb drive. I would start over again.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 PM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Back to the basics...

Let's start from the top.

A .zip file is a compressed file, containing other files. The process of creating a .zip file can create one file out of several, and reduce their size, thereby helping out with downloading.

"Unzipping" means expanding the .zip file into its full sized original files. A .zip file on its own is not useful to most programs. The process of "unzipping" extracts the original files from the .zip file and creates them in their original, useful format. The HD .zip file has to be "unzipped" or "expanded" or whatever term your computer wants to use..

For the HD download the important file has an extension of ".iso". This is the file that needs to be in the root (topmost) directory on a properly formatted usb drive. HD says the drive needs to be at least 8GB. Formatting of the usb drive needs to be in FAT32.

If none of this makes any sense, go to the dealer and have them do it. This is basic computer-ese and has nothing to do with HD, it is just the underlying technology to the process they have chosen to let owners update their own software.

If one has the .iso file on the usb drive in the topmost directory, this process works (it has for me, anyway, and apparently many others.) So it does work, at least if there is no defect in the Infotainment system.

Then again the 1.18.1 update has problems so one might be better off to wait. Otherwise you might have to reinstall 1.17.4.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mcw999
Let's start from the top. A .zip file is a compressed file, containing other files. The process of creating a .zip file can create one file out of several, and reduce their size, thereby helping out with downloading. "Unzipping" means expanding the .zip file into its full sized original files. A .zip file on its own is not useful to most programs. The process of "unzipping" extracts the original files from the .zip file and creates them in their original, useful format. The HD .zip file has to be "unzipped" or "expanded" or whatever term your computer wants to use.. For the HD download the important file has an extension of ".iso". This is the file that needs to be in the root (topmost) directory on a properly formatted usb drive. HD says the drive needs to be at least 8GB. Formatting of the usb drive needs to be in FAT32. If none of this makes any sense, go to the dealer and have them do it. This is basic computer-ese and has nothing to do with HD, it is just the underlying technology to the process they have chosen to let owners update their own software. If one has the .iso file on the usb drive in the topmost directory, this process works (it has for me, anyway, and apparently many others.) So it does work, at least if there is no defect in the Infotainment system. Then again the 1.18.1 update has problems so one might be better off to wait. Otherwise you might have to reinstall 1.17.4.
Very good post. I couldn't have stated it in simpler terms.

The update process is utterly simple but I see so many people getting lost in the computer basics.

Those not understanding this post should just go to the dealer.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM
benson1603
Advanced

Did all of the above. I don't work in IT but I'm not a computer idiot. I did EVERYTHING the HD instructions said to do more than once and nothing worked. I'll take it to the dealer.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Because it is a .zip file don't you need some kind of ZIP program to download and open it or does Windows have it's own ZIP program? I have WINZIP on my PC, when I download the update from the HD site it opens with WINZIP. On top is an "Extract" tab, I click that and it gives me a choice of where to extract to. I scroll to the "K" drive (Flash Drive), double click that and it extracts to there. Then when I open the K drive the .ISO file (it looks like a little round black ball) is there, I just stick the drive into the bike and the update starts.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Gunner B
Cruiser

Originally Posted by benson1603
Did all of the above. I don't work in IT but I'm not a computer idiot. I did EVERYTHING the HD instructions said to do more than once and nothing worked. I'll take it to the dealer.
Just put the ISO file on the thumb drive. Then plug it into the bike. It will work.