Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Lever - Angle too High

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear Brake Lever - Angle too High

I knew it from the first time I threw a leg over the 2014 touring models, but dealer folks said, "no, they didn't change the brake lever angle. Well that's B.S. Verified that today at the dealer comparing a 2013 and 2014 sitting next to each other. The '14 brake lever is at a higher angle than the 2013 and down models. For us taller, big footed riders, you have to pull your leg back to get your foot on the brake - not good.

Maybe I'm talking old stuff for you that have had your '14 Touring for a while, but I just got my '14 Road King 3 weeks ago. I've looked for an extended brake lever for the '14+ and don't see any - only '13 and down.

Anyone here of a fix for this situation? Does Harley Goodies or other after market folks have an extended brake lever (with a lower angle) for the '14 and up models?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by one-up
I knew it from the first time I threw a leg over the 2014 touring models, but dealer folks said, "no, they didn't change the brake lever angle. Well that's B.S. Verified that today at the dealer comparing a 2013 and 2014 sitting next to each other. The '14 brake lever is at a higher angle than the 2013 and down models. For us taller, big footed riders, you have to pull your leg back to get your foot on the brake - not good.

Maybe I'm talking old stuff for you that have had your '14 Touring for a while, but I just got my '14 Road King 3 weeks ago. I've looked for an extended brake lever for the '14+ and don't see any - only '13 and down.

Anyone here of a fix for this situation? Does Harley Goodies or other after market folks have an extended brake lever (with a lower angle) for the '14 and up models?
This has been discussed on dozens of threads here since the 2014's came out last year. Many of us have gotten the lever from Softbrake and been very satisfied. Factory angle was indeed increased to around 40 degrees and the Softbrake cut that angle in half, thereby causing the pad to effectively move forward for the added reach. Here's a pic of mine I've posted many times, as others have, to show the new lever. This is the standard length, slotted version. And as we have found out, the shaft on these new ones is a larger diameter than before so the 2013's and older are a no-go on them. Call Softbrake and talk to them and they will steer you toward what you need....very helpful folks. (Rick and Debbie Wright) They have the standard length as well as +1 and +2 which you should be able to use with your RK.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 09-02-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 PM
hunlock
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Brake

Soft Brake. The only game in town for the '14-15 models so far

http://www.softbrake.net

Give the owner a call. You can get a +1 longer with 20 degree lower angle and a kick out away from the frame to accommodate the radiators. This will require floorboard spacers though. Whole install took me 45 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake Lever - Angle too High-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 PM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 14 brake pedal is absolutely useless for anyone taller than 5'6.

I posted this several months ago:

I bought a softbrake for my 14 Ultra and although I haven't had a chance to actually ride it, I did install it and it appears it will be perfect for me. I bought mine from Carl Miles (Heelguard.com) at 406.689.3102 for $150. He sells for Softbrake and includes the shipping. Great guy to deal with. I used to buy EZ brake from him in the past, but they are no longer made. i will tell you the standard Softbrake pedal placement is similar to what the EZ brake placement was. Its down and forward of the stock location.
jt

Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
surfnorthwest
Supporter
Received 27,868 Likes on 9,311 Posts

One of the first things I did was put the Softbrake on. More pics here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...a-limited.html

Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer
This has been discussed on dozens of threads here since the 2014's came out last year. Many of us have gotten the lever from Softbrake and been very satisfied. Factory angle was indeed increased to around 40 degrees and the Softbrake cut that angle in half, thereby causing the pad to effectively move forward for the added reach. Here's a pic of mine I've posted many times, as others have, to show the new lever. This is the standard length, slotted version. And as we have found out, the shaft on these new ones is a larger diameter than before so the 2013's and older are a no-go on them. Call Softbrake and talk to them and they will steer you toward what you need....very helpful folks. (Rick and Debbie Wright) They have the standard length as well as +1 and +2 which you should be able to use with your RK.
I second this I was one of the first to buy one and like so many I hated the stock angle ...good people to deal with!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Definitely noticed a big difference from my '13 RGU but now after 10K miles I don't notice it.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I like being able to slide the toe of my boot under the pedal for more room. I've seen the pics of boots on the floor board with the soft brake. You can't move your boot as far forward as with the stock pedal.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:11 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by one-up

Another vote for the SoftBrake pedal. One of the best mods I've done to my 2014 Limited.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM
riderguy57
Cruiser
Location: Minneapolis (full time)/ Fayetteville, AR (part time)
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just placed my order for my 2014 FLHXS. Hopefully, that'll cure the need to move my leg to access the brake pedal. On my other bikes, the pedal is positioned in such a way that my foot is always resting on top of it, which I like for quick access.

Scott

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Lever - Angle too High