Sponsored by:

'15 Road Glide.......My experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '15 Road Glide.......My experience

I've had my eye on a CVO Road Glide Ultra since I saw the first pic on the HD web site. So I went to a dealer close by that had the Carbon dust/autumn sunset color on the floor. It was sold to the owner so no chance of taking it home even tho it had been my first color choice. Actually didn't like the color in person, just too dark for a CVO...no bling.

Anyway, they let me take an amber whiskey RG out for a spin. Didn't know what to expect as I have no experience with the shark fairing. First thing I noticed was how easy it was at slow parking lot speeds. At speed there was definitely more wind but it was clean , no buffeting or head shaking and I was wearing a full face helmet. Closing the vents didn't seem to change anything for me. I'm 6'2" and the bars felt very comfortable. In fact, they were the first factory bars I didn't feel like changing right away.

I got back on my Limited and even tho the bat wing blocked more wind, what wind that did get to me was more turbulent. I hadn't noticed that before, but I did want to get a shorter windshield to allow more air to get in my helmet vents. So maybe in my case less is not more.

No comments on being able to hear the stereo as I had a full face helmet and just turned the volume down. I use a head set on my Limited and with the CVO I would do the same. The Nav worked and the hand controls were the same so it was easy for me to transition.

After I got back to the dealer they pointed out that the numbers on the gauges are 10% larger, didn't notice until they pointed it out.

They did an appraisal on my bike for a trade and even tho I took delivery in May there first offer was real close to what I owed. They even said if I put a deposit on the next CVORGU they were willing to negotiate on the CVO sticker. That was a pleasant surprise. I felt that I could get enough off of that price to avoid carrying negative equity over to the new deal.

Early next week they are expecting a sapphire blue one and I plan to go in for a look and discuss the price. To be honest I don't think I'm gonna take it home because I don't know that I'm comfortable with doubling my current payment. We'll see.......

I did have the owner of a different dealer tell me to expect a Road Glide Ultra or Limited for '16. If I don't end up with this CVO then I will wait and see if that is true.

I won't go to a RGS or RG from my Limited as I prefer the full touring package. If that comes back in '16 and I don't have this CVO I will be trading.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just can't get my head wrapped around the CVO price tag and the shark nose/side by side dual headlight is odd to me. They are beautiful machines though no doubt. I have a buddy who rides an RGU and he swears by the fixed fairing. He loves it. Sounds like if you test ride the blue one, we're gonna be seeing a post next week about your new bike!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 AM
zrunnerz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 2015 RG FLTRX and I love it. I had 2007 FLTR that I traded in and I am very happy with the deal I got and the new RG. I am sure the CVO is awesome, but I agree I cannot imagine the price being worth it. Just add a tour pack and such to FLTRXS and call it a day.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Hefty price tag for sure. I love my limited. I'm gonna go for a look but it's not looking good financially to pull the trigger on it. Will just about double my current payment Im guessing.

Here's a couple pics I snapped while there.

Notice the LED reflector lights instead of the projector. Hmmm.....

Old 09-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I love the look of the RG Ultra CVO, but something about paying $35K+ and still having to swap out the exhaust doesn't sit right with me.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty cool bike

Old 06-26-2015, 02:18 AM
HarleyBub70
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As one who is currently trying to decide between a Road Glide Special and the CVO Road Glide Ultra, there is more of a difference than just slapping a Tour Pak on the Special. The CVO has an upgraded sound system - better speakers, more amplification, as well as the liquid cooled heads which the Special does not have. The Ultra also has upgraded windscreen, rider/passenger communication, and CB, along with the upgraded Hammock seat that the Special does not have. All in all, you are talking about close to 10K to get a Special to have MOST of the features on the CVO. When I priced out what it would cost to add the features I care about to a Special, you are within 6-7K of the CVO. Thus my dilema.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

I guess I forgot to update this thread.

My local dealer had a sapphire blue CVORGU in stock but it had a deposit on it. I was told that guy would come in and look at it and make a decision. Well, he decided not to buy so they called me. I went in and we started crunching numbers on my 14 Limited and I have to say they treated me very well in a 5 month old bike.

Took the new CVO home December 26th and could not be happier. The best stock HD I have ever owned. First one I didn't have to change the seat and or bars just to make it rideable.

I have 4100 miles in it now and we are riding out to Sturgis this year.

HarleyBub70, if you are still on the fence my advice is to just fall off on the CVO side. Is it a lot of money, yes. But well worth it to ME. You have to decide if it's for you.

Good luck and please PM if you have any questions.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:50 AM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good lookin' bike!

Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

The RG's are great. A lot of people complain about the bars, personally I like them. And those headlights are bright as poop. Had to get used to riding without my high beams as every in front of me says they are blinding in the daytime.

Quick Reply: '15 Road Glide.......My experience