Sponsored by:

14 SGS antenna issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Mcarso1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 14 SGS antenna issue

When I bought the new scoot I had dealer throw in hidden antenna as part of the deal cause I didn't like the big whip. HD hidden antenna blows, gets terrible reception so I am wondering if I can leave it in the fairing and get a splitter so I can run a shorty on the back and have the hidden hooked up? Would think reception would greatly improve if antennas are located front and back? Any help?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcarso1
When I bought the new scoot I had dealer throw in hidden antenna as part of the deal cause I didn't like the big whip. HD hidden antenna blows, gets terrible reception so I am wondering if I can leave it in the fairing and get a splitter so I can run a shorty on the back and have the hidden hooked up? Would think reception would greatly improve if antennas are located front and back? Any help?
Get the J & M hidden antenna. Day and night in the quality of reception. I have found it better then the factory whip

You just disconnect the antenna at the radio and install the hidden one, very simple

Old 09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Mcarso1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for info, what's a J&M hidden antenna run?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:43 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

A splitter running two antennas will not give you better reception. In some areas it will be worse. I tried it and it didn't work well particularly as you ride away from major cities. Several knowledgeable people in the business confirmed this for me. When I removed the splitter my reception was far better.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes make sure you order the one for the 14's

Old 09-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

The range on the Boom Boom reception is about half of the old radios. Don't expect much!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Less than 50.00 if I remember correctly.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Red
The range on the Boom Boom reception is about half of the old radios. Don't expect much!
Something must be wrong with yours then, mine receives just as good or better than my '07 Street Glide.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no problem with my hidden MoCo antenna, maybe it's my area, I am 60 miles from major radio stations and they come in good.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

In my experience the 'shorty' is no better, and probably a little worse reception, compared to the hidden boom antenna, for the Rushmores. I wound up putting my stock whip back on.

There is a single connector on the radio for the am/fm antenna. Conceivably you could hook up a 'splitter' to connect two antennas in parallel. But I believe it would be pointless.

Two antennas won't multiply the signal strength. For all practical purposes, I don't think two marginal antennas will buy you anything over one marginal antenna.

I don't like the long whip, either. But that's what I've reverted to as it provides the best reception of the three, including the shorty and the hidden. This is a case where I was forced to choose function over form, i.e., decent radio reception (with a long antenna) over marginal reception (with a less conspicuous antenna).

If the shorty and hidden give you good reception in parallel, I'll be surprised…but hey, anything is possible. Or, if you find another way to eliminate the long whip, post up. I'd like to do away with the long antenna…so long as I can retain the same reception I have with it.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 09-13-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 14 SGS antenna issue