Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Road Glide screen glare

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The only time glare is an issue is when the sun is directly to your back. I honestly don't spend alot of time looking at my 6.5 screen because thats about as smart as texting and driving. The majority of riding time this isn't a problem. My GPS has audible voice alerts so its really not necessary to see the screen to navigate. You can go into high contrast mode but i never have had to. Its just like your iPad or Android tablet . Take it out on a bright sunny say and its not that awesome either. You could drive your cage if its a real problem that provides all the shade you need for a tablet/computer screen. HD put a warning on the screen every time you start your bike for a good reason.

The following users liked this post:
Toliverpeterson (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:56 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
The only time glare is an issue is when the sun is directly to your back. I honestly don't spend alot of time looking at my 6.5 screen because thats about as smart as texting and driving. The majority of riding time this isn't a problem. My GPS has audible voice alerts so its really not necessary to see the screen to navigate. You can go into high contrast mode but i never have had to. Its just like your iPad or Android tablet . Take it out on a bright sunny say and its not that awesome either. You could drive your cage if its a real problem that provides all the shade you need for a tablet/computer screen. HD put a warning on the screen every time you start your bike for a good reason.
How dare you come on here making all kinds of sense like that...

Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 PM
MBigButt
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
For me anytime the sun is off my shoulder or behind me I get bad glare on the screen and the speedo/tach. That's a substantial part of my riding time as I ride a lot North and South. But heh, thanks for your "drive your cage" contribution, that advice helps a lot!

I agree that a rider shouldn't be "spending much time" looking at the display and thats kinda everyone's point. It is supposed to be easy. You should be able to glance down to a nice clear map and see that there is a hair-pin corner coming up or that your turn is two intersections away. The Road Glide display only lets you do that in very select lighting conditions.

In this regard I think the dash on the bat wing is far better and the instruments on the bat wing are very readable for me. I agonized over this in the show room and during test rides but in the end the other aspects of the Road Glide won me over. I can't claim to have purchased without knowing there was a problem.

Right now I have the right hand data display on the map as a second speed display so I can see either the speed on the map or the speedo most of the time. The rest of the time I assume if there's no flashing lights in my mirrors I ain't speeding.

Would still be nice to use the map display as an actual map display, or media control display. I don't see how they can fix the situation though so just have to suck it up.

The following 2 users liked this post by MBigButt:
BobRed0965 (05-04-2016), CrankyYankee (08-02-2017)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

2016 RGU. And no they did not fix the glare problem. That I live with. My issue is more, and some of you might say "Come on Man!" but this infotainment system, while being very cool. Is fricking awful to try to use while rolling down the highway. I swear trying to find a particular song on my thumb drive is gonna kill me one day. I remember my sales guy, after I signed the paperwork or course, expressing to me how VITALLY IMPORTANT (he Said) to learn your infotainment system controls before you go off riding. I was like yea yea yea -its a bike bro, get outta my way ( is what I was thinking). Well he was right, I have had her since just before Christmas and I still do not use all the features on this stupid thing. I can not even imagine trying to put in a Nav setting unless you pull over and stop. Oh I'll get off my soap box, the thing is cool. Cool and distracting as hell!

Last edited by Davidson Harley; 05-04-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 05-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MBigButt

In this regard I think the dash on the bat wing is far better and the instruments on the bat wing are very readable for me. I agonized over this in the show room and during test rides but in the end the other aspects of the Road Glide won me over. I can't claim to have purchased without knowing there was a problem.

Like you I knew it too. But the stability of the fugly shark nose won me over. I'm not sorry I jumped that way

Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidson Harley
2016 RGU. And no they did not fix the glare problem. That I live with. My issue is more, and some of you might say "Come on Man!" but this infotainment system, while being very cool. Is fricking awful to try to use while rolling down the highway. I swear trying to find a particular song on my thumb drive is gonna kill me one day. I remember my sales guy, after I signed the paperwork or course, expressing to me how VITALLY IMPORTANT (he Said) to learn your infotainment system controls before you go off riding. I was like yea yea yea -its a bike bro, get outta my way ( is what I was thinking). Well he was right, I have had her since just before Christmas and I still do not use all the features on this stupid thing. I can not even imagine trying to put in a Nav setting unless you pull over and stop. Oh I'll get off my soap box, the thing is cool. Cool and distracting as hell!
This ^. Pulling over would be the only way to enter Nav settings in my opinion... but that would go for driving a car as well, and even much more so on a bike. We riders constantly complain about stupid people texting and driving and how dangerous it is for us bikers. Why would we want to join them and try to enter GPS info while riding?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MBigButt
I agree that a rider shouldn't be "spending much time" looking at the display and thats kinda everyone's point. It is supposed to be easy. You should be able to glance down to a nice clear map and see that there is a hair-pin corner coming up or that your turn is two intersections away. The Road Glide display only lets you do that in very select lighting conditions.
I haven't found a single LCD display be it phone, tablet, tv that is viewable on bright sunny day especially in direct sunlight. I like to go out with my phone camera in daylight. I cant even see the screen with full brightness most times. Lets be serious. Do you need a map to tell you a hair pin turn or your turn is two intersections away? Don't we have road signs for that. Don't get me wrong i love GPS but i used to drive coast to coast from memory or with my Rand McNally atlas usually from memory after the first trip. Not being able to see my display at all is less than 10% of my riding time in Ohio so maybe i'm just lucky. When i do lose it do to sunlight i know the limitations of tablet/computer displays. Ride safe. Road Glides rule.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:18 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

My bike has the 4.3, so I don't have the issues with GPS, as I use my iPhone. But I do get the screen glare with the sun directly behind me, and when that happens, I can't see the screen at all. The high contrast mode helps a lot in times the sun is not directs glaring off of the screen.

I haven't noticed anything with glare on the speedo, but now that I'm aware, it will probably rear its ugly head and start annoying me, lol

At first, I had a hard time figuring out the infotainment, and was pretty disappointed with it, but I can now make it do what I want, and find I like it. There was a large learning curve with it, as it's not very user friendly. Given that, I would have to agree with what others stated, learn how to use it before hitting the road, it can be a dangerous distraction.

My latest complaint is that since the last software update, the warning screen takes forever to pop up and I usually have to clear it once I'm going down the road.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking hard at RGS. Wondering if 2017 model will adjust angle of screen. Could grab a 15 with 2k in extras for 21k right now with only 1300/miles. Hesitating because of screen issue. Thoughts?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:38 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Looking hard at RGS. Wondering if 2017 model will adjust angle of screen. Could grab a 15 with 2k in extras for 21k right now with only 1300/miles. Hesitating because of screen issue. Thoughts?
I find the glare annoying, but only moderately so. It only affects me when the sun is right behind me, and even then, high contrast mode (hold the info button - ⓘ to toggle it) usually overcomes the glare.

FYI, the "glare" does not reflect back on you. It just washes out the screen a bit.

I really doubt they'll add a tilt function. If they did anything for glare, it would be a coating on the clear plastic cover, but even then, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quick Reply: 2015 Road Glide screen glare