Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

Bergen HD vs Garden State HD Service

Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Bergen HD vs Garden State HD Service

My bike is due for it's 1K servicing. This is the only time the bike will be taken to a dealership for routine maintenance.

I bought the bike from GSHD ($$), but live a little closer to BHD. Is either service department really any better than the other?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I have no personal experience with either shop, but I've read a few decent reports on BHD.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:51 AM
NSR
Road Captain

Just a little feedback...

I wound up going to Bergen HD - for two reasons. One, they are a little closer to me. Two, they had an open appointment slot for first thing in the morning (9am) on a weekday that happened to be my day off.

The soonest GSHD could get me in was a Saturday morning. GSHD operates on a "first come, first served" basis on Saturdays, so that was a little bit of a turn-off. Understandable, but not as convenient.

The price quoted from both shops was identical, fwiw.... "$400 with synthetics".

I actually payed $373. Bergen HD had me back on the road in 2.5 hours.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
Just a little feedback...

I wound up going to Bergen HD - for two reasons. One, they are a little closer to me. Two, they had an open appointment slot for first thing in the morning (9am) on a weekday that happened to be my day off.

The soonest GSHD could get me in was a Saturday morning. GSHD operates on a "first come, first served" basis on Saturdays, so that was a little bit of a turn-off. Understandable, but not as convenient.

The price quoted from both shops was identical, fwiw.... "$400 with synthetics".

I actually payed $373. Bergen HD had me back on the road in 2.5 hours.

glad to hear. the only thing i ever hear and experience at BHD is a bit of an attitude and they don't like to bend on price. other than that BHD is a good dealer. GSHD they by far have the worst service and parts attitudes around. it isn't hit or miss it is simply non existent.

glad it worked out for ya!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:01 PM
NSR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
glad to hear. the only thing i ever hear and experience at BHD is a bit of an attitude and they don't like to bend on price. other than that BHD is a good dealer. GSHD they by far have the worst service and parts attitudes around. it isn't hit or miss it is simply non existent.

glad it worked out for ya!

See, I'd also heard that about GSHD...lousy service/parts department. I've been up to GSHD to get parts a few times though and each time everything has gone fine. Same thing at Bergen HD. Both have been great as far as getting parts/having cool stuff in stock.

I agree with you about Bergen's stance on pricing. I wanted to buy my bike from them. I went there a few times trying to make the deal, but GSHD just beat the pants off them...by a few grand. That's a no-brainer. I bought the bike from GSHD.

Garden State HD has got a better location too. It's a much nicer ride heading over there. I always wind up just taking a ride further up 23 whenever I go there. I gotta find a job in Sussex county, lol....

The traffic around Bergen HD is always a little sideways.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Bergen County's pricing for used bikes was too high for my liking.

I opted to go to Williams HD in Lebanon and get a bike as they had same year bike that I was looking at at Bergen. Big difference was they came down on price and it had half the miles the same year bike at Bergen did. No negotiating, or even an effort at trying to find out why I was passing on the bike struck me as weird. Maybe they figure someone else will come along so who cares?

They have a big following though, but I can't say I'd personally go back to them for anything. Not a fan of the geographical location as is because I don't like traveling on Route 80 period. It's too chaotic on the streets around there. The ride to Williams is the same timewise, but there's some nice scenery to see instead of road construction.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 PM
dpms223
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS_Lotus98T
Bergen County's pricing for used bikes was too high for my liking.

I opted to go to Williams HD in Lebanon and get a bike as they had same year bike that I was looking at at Bergen. Big difference was they came down on price and it had half the miles the same year bike at Bergen did. No negotiating, or even an effort at trying to find out why I was passing on the bike struck me as weird. Maybe they figure someone else will come along so who cares?

They have a big following though, but I can't say I'd personally go back to them for anything. Not a fan of the geographical location as is because I don't like traveling on Route 80 period. It's too chaotic on the streets around there. The ride to Williams is the same timewise, but there's some nice scenery to see instead of road construction.
I guess everyone has had different experiences at different dealerships. My experience at Bergen HD was nothing short of excellent. Not only were they willing to negotiate on the price of the bike I purchased. I found their staff to be very professional and friendly. Maybe they're not the cheapest on everything, but I felt my experience was worth it.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dpms223
I guess everyone has had different experiences at different dealerships. My experience at Bergen HD was nothing short of excellent. Not only were they willing to negotiate on the price of the bike I purchased. I found their staff to be very professional and friendly. Maybe they're not the cheapest on everything, but I felt my experience was worth it.
I think many dealers it's all dependent on who you get from their sales team. Not that there was anything wrong with the gentleman I dealt with, he was pleasant and what have you. I was just surprised that they didn't inquire as to why I was passing since I've gotten that in the past when passing on cars I looked at.

They do have a tremendous merchandise selection I will say, so it's definitely worth a ride if you're looking for anything on that front in my opinion.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:17 PM
nailz53
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garden State on rt 23 is closed they are moving to there new location on Rt 10 , when i drove by on way home from work they were loading up trucks.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:45 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Nothing but a great experience from 2011 til now with Bergen. When Garden State was Kosko, they sucked. Now a days, I couldn't give you any feedback on them.