Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

Empire or Danbury HD for Service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:16 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Empire or Danbury HD for Service?

I'm about halfway between them and am coming up on my 1000 mile Service. Which dealer has the better Service Dept? Has anyone used Presige HD?

Going forward I'll probably do the basic stuff myself but I'd still like to build a relationship with the Service guys in one or the other. Who would you recommend?

Thanks, FN

Last edited by Firenailer; 03-02-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Don't know Empire, Danbury is expensive. But I do see quite a few NY plates when I stop in for parts.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Firenailer
Road Master

Thanks Ranger

Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard that Empire in New Rochelle is careless, and just as expensive as Danbury. Why not do the 1K service yourself? Do you have the service manual?

Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Firenailer
Road Master

Not yet, I meant to order one from BoardTracker when I got my rack and backrest but spaced when I placed the order. I will get it with my next order from them.

I thought that I'd let a Dealer do the first service and check a couple of things I've noticed, and then do the regular services myself after that. There's a loud valve tap I'd like them to hear and get documented.

I bought at Empire but I actually like the Danbury place better, it just has a better vibe.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
I'm about halfway between them and am coming up on my 1000 mile Service. Which dealer has the better Service Dept? Has anyone used Presige HD?

Going forward I'll probably do the basic stuff myself but I'd still like to build a relationship with the Service guys in one or the other. Who would you recommend?

Thanks, FN

LOL.... with the turnover Danbury has don't count on that happening... bought a sportster I used to have from Danbury.... 1st off an appointment does not mean anything, all it means is they'll store your bike till they decide to work on it, which could be a couple of days or a week later.... The only way to guarantee service appointments is to buy a maintenance plan from them which will give you priority service.... The parts guys at Danbury are good, I bought my current bike at Moroney's but even there I've only taken my bike back for warranty issues... otherwise I do everything mayself....

Just to add my sportster I bought the maintenance plan from Danbury after my bike sat for a week for the 1k service.... When it went back for 5k service it was ready the next day, picked it up after work and took the long way home, as it was getting dark I had the back kick out making a left turn, thought maybe I just slid on some leaves that were damp, it was enough to make you pucker, took it easy the last 2 miles home, and parked it in the garage.... The next morning I look in the garage to see a puddle of oil under my bike, closer look and see the rear wheel, tire, brakes, fender covered with oil... Anyway they didn't seat the derby cover gasket right and oil was leaking out of the primary... I made them pick it up, they cleaned the bike, I refused to pick the bike up till the replaced the brake pads and rear tire, which I had to fight with the service manager about, he felt cleaning them was sufficient... The bike got wrecked when someone left turned in front of me, I had 2 services left on the maintenance plan that they refused to refund or give me store credit for... hence why I have no love for Danbury HD..

Old 03-02-2016, 08:03 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I understand you going for your first 1000 mile service at the dealer for warranty and the tapping issue (it's the rockers, get rocker locks). It's easy, do the rest yourself.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have a choice, take it to Moroney's in Newburgh ...

Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Firenailer
Road Master

Wow Davidc, - that's a heck of a bad experience - I can see why they aren't a place you'd want to recommend!

I've been going back and forth between HD and BMW for my last 4 bikes. I'm back on HD after too many electrical switch issues and blowing the rear main shaft seal on my RT coming back home from a ride in the Adirondacks. Had oil dripping out between the engine and Transmission, onto the y pipe and then the rear wheel coming down the Taconic. Felt like I was riding on ice by the time I made it home.

Ranger – thanks for the heads up on the rocker locks, I'll do a search and figure out how to get them installed.

I used to go to Prestige in Elmsford when I had my SuperGlide. They were an Indy Shop and were pretty good to deal with, never had any problems with their work. I think they were pretty much the Service Dept from Prestige HD that closed down. I'll check and see if they still have an affiliation with HD and see if it won't screw up my warranty if I go there for the first one.

Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!

Last edited by Firenailer; 03-03-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I see that Bergen County HD is opening a second dealership in the Hudson Valley. That may be another option for you.

http://www.hdhudsonvalley.com/

Quick Reply: Empire or Danbury HD for Service?