Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

NJ bike, no title, how to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
johnny_i_guy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ bike, no title, how to get one?

So I am contemplating buying a bike that I found on craigslist, only problem with it is the guy does not have the title for the bike. This threw up a red flag for me but after talking to the guy he explained what the situation was. Turns out he bought the bike from a guy, who bought the bike from another guy without the title. He said he would get the title for him but keeps blowing him off saying hell get it but never returns phone calls and just keeps pushing it off. He has the last registration card for the bike and called up the guy it was registered under, same thing yea yea ill get around to it but never does. So he tells me that there is a way to get a title for it but only if you are a NJ resident, thats the last place the bike was titled. He doesnt want the headache of finding someone to go through and title the bike for him then transfer it back to him and so on. He told me being that im an nj resident it will still take some paperwork but i would be able to put the bike in my name. By the way he also had the vin run and there are no leins on it nor is it reported stolen. So my question is is this guy just trying to lay his problem off onto me or is it legitimate that I would be be able to get a title for it? I mentioned this much shorter in another forum and one guy mentioned possibly a "quit claim". Does anyone know more about this? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by johnny_i_guy; 03-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

i think its called bonded title - heard its a PIA

but the best bet would be to call dmv , explain the problem
give info they want , the vin .. they give it to a some1 that deals with doing
this sort of thing and find the owner last titled to the scoot
they will be able to give you all the info u want .

from the NJ dmv
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM
edtompkins
Club Member

Call DMV in Trenton. I'm sure they can explain the process - required paperwork, forms etc. I bought a repo through a NY reseller, called NJDMV and they explained all that was needed. One thing I did have was a release from Eaglemark Bank. I would think you would need something from the titleholder. A little scary sending in original paperwork to Trenton but in a couple weeks I had title in hand. Just be prepared to wait a while on the phone. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a 12step process that I will soon be going threw with my 1970cb350. o
You have to contact the police, ask for records, you have to put the bike in the newspaper 3times, and a whole lot of documents. You can't find info on it online or in the manual. its werid

Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Kennyv2.0
Intermediate

Don't buy the bike unless the seller has a valid title. It is the sellers responsibility to obtain the title, not yours. The person that holds the original title (per DMV records) still legally owns the bike. If this person is uncooperative, you're out of luck. I'd stay away from this deal.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (06-13-2023)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM
nopetrol
Tourer

Yup. About 12 steps, a few hundred bucks, and because of the mandatory times in between .... about 6 months. And AND ... in the end, there's still no guarantee that Trenton will give you a title in the end. It has to be the deal 'o the century to make it worth it.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 AM
johnny_i_guy
Novice

Thanks for the input guys, probably gonna end up not buying the bike and wait for another deal to come along. Sucks cause the guy said hes gonna part it out if he cant sell it by the end of the month. Its an 82 FXR all stock parts and said hell take 2500 for it. Guess ill give the dmv a call and see if its gonna be worth it for me. Again thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 PM
nopetrol
Tourer

Sounds like if you got it, then found another frame with a title ... or got a new replacement frame with an MSO, you'd be in pretty good shape.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Lt Jake
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nopetrol
Sounds like if you got it, then found another frame with a title ... or got a new replacement frame with an MSO, you'd be in pretty good shape.
I had a 86 Shadow 1100 that didnt have a title. It wasnt stolen. I bought another frame with a title for around $100. Changed everything over and rode it for two years before I sold it. I forget what they want for your bike, but it has to be real cheap to get to go that route since its a real PITA to do.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:01 AM
Tuck1991
Cruiser
Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome to the forums. You've posted your question in the Welcome Section. Your responses will be limited until you ask in one of the other forums. That being said, you got hosed. Get your stuff back and tell your "friend" you're willing to deal when he has a titled Harley in his name.

Quick Reply: NJ bike, no title, how to get one?