Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

South Central PA is the nicest place to ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default South Central PA is the nicest place to ride

I mean it is just so nice to ride here every day. The state forest like Michaux. All the rural back country roads with twisties all over.

Route 74 north out of Carlisle going over the mountain to 274 then to 34 back to Carlisle. Beautiful and fun ride.

Route 34 or 94 south to Gettysburg. Even 15 to Gettysburg is nice.

Route 944 and 233.

Route 174 to Shippensburg and then Baltimore Rd and on to Shippensburg road back to Michaux and route 233. Either way it is a nice ride and has some good twisties in there.

I just think South Central PA is one of the best places on earth to ride and I only covered a little bit of the area.

I have ridden in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, SD, NH,MA, CT, NY(upstate), NJ(pine barrens), MD, DC, VA. Don't get me wrong, these all have some really nice rides, the Adirondacks in upstate NY for instance, but I enjoy the SC PA region the most. Maybe it is because I don't have to go far to enjoy it.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Agreed. Well, partially! I have a brother near Bel Air MD, and I take 74 to 34 & 94, every trip --- either on the way down or on the way home. He likes it around you also. I think he led me up 274 once. Great ride. (Is that the one that crosses the turnpike just west of one of the tunnels?) You should try up here where I am, for some nice riding too. Just about anything north of 80 & west of 15 is great. Try something like 74 up to 75 & 322 to State College, and then 192 to Lewisburg, and then home. Or up to State College, and 144 all the way up almost to Galeton. Then 44 all the way to 15 near Lewisburg & back to Carlisle. Stuff to see up here too, if you do an overnighter --- PA Grand Canyon, Kinzua Bridge State Park, Kinzua Dam. Take a ride to Benezette to see the elk sometime. PA's got a lot of great riding.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Agreed. Well, partially! I have a brother near Bel Air MD, and I take 74 to 34 & 94, every trip --- either on the way down or on the way home. He likes it around you also. I think he led me up 274 once. Great ride. (Is that the one that crosses the turnpike just west of one of the tunnels?) You should try up here where I am, for some nice riding too. Just about anything north of 80 & west of 15 is great. Try something like 74 up to 75 & 322 to State College, and then 192 to Lewisburg, and then home. Or up to State College, and 144 all the way up almost to Galeton. Then 44 all the way to 15 near Lewisburg & back to Carlisle. Stuff to see up here too, if you do an overnighter --- PA Grand Canyon, Kinzua Bridge State Park, Kinzua Dam. Take a ride to Benezette to see the elk sometime. PA's got a lot of great riding.
I am not sure about 274 crossing the turnpike just west of one of the tunnels. Not on the part that I have ridden on at least unless I am mistaken.

I have heard of some great riding up there and believe me when I say I will get up that way eventually. I have to check out the PA Grand Canyon and to see elk again would be nice! I haven't seen elk since I left Colorado and the Rocky Mountain National Park.

I will have to plan a trip up there and camp out in the state park. That would be nice.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm from NE Maryland and couldn't agree more. Picked up 74 in Delta and took it all the way to the end. Right through the ghetto's of York. Probably best local ride ever. Question though. When 74 ended, I took a right on 75 and got on 322. Would there be a better option?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
I'm from NE Maryland and couldn't agree more. Picked up 74 in Delta and took it all the way to the end. Right through the ghetto's of York. Probably best local ride ever. Question though. When 74 ended, I took a right on 75 and got on 322. Would there be a better option?

Nope. That's the way to go. After 322, there are a few different (and nice rides) options if you're heading north. When I visit my brother in Jarrettsville, I take 74 to 75 to 322 to come back, and then make a decision about those other routes to head back north.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Barthel75
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We ride every weekend on these roads another good one is take 325 off 322 an ride to ft Indian town gap very nice ride

Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

I live just south of there in Frederick an d love riding that area. Around the end of November, a friend and I rode up to Bill's Old Bike Barn taking many back roads that I'd never been on. Felt like I'd been transported back to the '40's or 50's. Some great riding from Amish country to mining country!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

When the nice weather returns, send me a PM. I know all of the good roads and places to stop between Chambersburg and Philadelphia and between Baltimore and Sunbury. I get small group rides together just about every Saturday & Sunday from May until November.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Barthel75
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shrydog
When the nice weather returns, send me a PM. I know all of the good roads and places to stop between Chambersburg and Philadelphia and between Baltimore and Sunbury. I get small group rides together just about every Saturday & Sunday from May until November.
Will do

Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by ccislander
I live just south of there in Frederick an d love riding that area. Around the end of November, a friend and I rode up to Bill's Old Bike Barn taking many back roads that I'd never been on. Felt like I'd been transported back to the '40's or 50's. Some great riding from Amish country to mining country!!!

Bill's Bike Barn is an amazing place!

Quick Reply: South Central PA is the nicest place to ride