Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Lake George NY to Errol NH - Routing advice request

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:51 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Lake George NY to Errol NH - Routing advice request

Hey all,

I've posted a time or two here before, with great responses, so here's another. Wife and I have a potential opportunity to do our first multi-day bike trip. The second day of this trip will take us into pretty much untravelled (by us) territory, so I'm looking for any info on roads either to definitely see, or to avoid. Any must see sights along the way, or good places to eat are appreciated, as well as potential lodgings.

Day 1 will be home (Lebanon ME) to Lake George NY, via Google's preferred route as we will be caravaning this leg with my mother (who is graciously taking my daughter on vacation with her for a week, which is what allows the wife and I the bike trip opportunity).

Day 2 is the day I'm looking for advice on: Lake George NY to Errol NH. This day will be a late start for the ride, presumably after lunch. The route I have plotted is 226 miles and 5h15m according to Google. Certainly doable in an afternoon, but doesn't leave a whole lot of room for sight seeing or other stops, if we want to get in to our accomodations at an early evening hour. Anyone have any suggestions for good, inexpensive mom and pop type motels near this route that would shorten this leg by a little bit? Somewhere on Rt 2 between Danville VT and Lancaster NH? The theory being we can take our time on day 2 and then get an early start on day 3 to get the rest of the way to Errol (don't have any particular need to stay over there).

Day 3 will be some riding in the vicinity of Errol, completed by a trip home, route to be determined based on how late it is when we start back.

Here's a map of what i'm thinking about for Day 2:

Old 06-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I am staying at the Best Western Waterbury - Stowe in August. It was the best we could find for a modest hotel. Lots to ride in the area. Take an extra day if you can. At least that's what we are banking on for a week long group ride this summer. Half the days in Stowe the last few days in Maine near Auburn.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master

thanks Buzz. Unfortunately, I still don't know for sure I can get my planned Monday off yet - work is pretty crazy (as usual) right now. Adding another day isn't gonna happen.

Appreciate the motel suggestion, I'll check that out.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are looking for accommodations in that area I would try St. Johnsbury. I can't name a place, but I know I have been by a few and dinner/bars/breakfast would be likely walkable. We camp at Sugarridge a few times a year to ride the area.....Love it over there. After you head through Danville center headed East, stop at the Ice cream stand on the left before you climb the next hill. Get a Maple Creamee and thank me later!

Adam

Old 06-14-2016, 03:24 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

It looks like you're route will take you nowhere near this section of roadway, but if at all possible, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying to do this section:

http://northconwaynh.com/kancamagus-highway-nh/

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

You set on that route? If it were me, I'd come across Route 4 and then head north.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Default Lake George NY to Errol NH - Routing advice request

Originally Posted by sailmotion
It looks like you're route will take you nowhere near this section of roadway, but if at all possible, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying to do this section:

http://northconwaynh.com/kancamagus-highway-nh/
The Conway end is about an hour from my house - the kanc is part of my "big loop" when I have an afternoon free! Awesome ride.

Originally Posted by dawg
You set on that route? If it were me, I'd come across Route 4 and then head north.
Thanks - most likely heading over route 4 westbound, so I was thinking trying something different for the return trip. Also wanted to hit Ticonderoga. As it turns out though, looks like I'm not going to be able to get Monday off work, and get to be on call Sunday night. So probably gonna turn into just a stretched ride home on Sunday. Might go through Ticonderoga anyway, then across and pick up 100 south to 9, go through Keene and back up 202. That's familiar territory though.

Originally Posted by modes
If you are looking for accommodations in that area I would try St. Johnsbury. I can't name a place, but I know I have been by a few and dinner/bars/breakfast would be likely walkable. We camp at Sugarridge a few times a year to ride the area.....Love it over there. After you head through Danville center headed East, stop at the Ice cream stand on the left before you climb the next hill. Get a Maple Creamee and thank me later!

Adam

Looks like I'm not gonna make it north this time (see above). Definitely gonna keep this tip in my back pocket for next time.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-19-2016, 06:55 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can go a bit further,there's plenty of reasonable motels in Gorham.