Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned
Default Vertebrae out of place...what to do?

Okay, I slept weird on Friday night and went for a ride on Saturday morning. When I got back from my ride my back was killing me. My wife is a certified massage therapist and diagnosed it as a vertebra that is out of place. Unfortunately for me she has been off a a convention all weekend and when she was here she has been sleeping. The good news is the convention ends tonight. She suggested I make a Chropracter appt at an office she used to work at tomorrow. But...what the hell am I todo in the mean time. I can barely site at my computer much less type. The position to sit and watch TV in sucks too. This just blows. Missed my Sunday ride too. I went to bed a 8pm last night and got up at 2 pm today and am going stir crazy. I guess I just don't sit still very well.

My plan is to take a hot bath and roll on our "exercise ball" until the damn vertebra goes back into place, although it is quite possible I will cause more harm than good trying to do this myself. Any other sugestions besieds lay on heat and ice and take aleve? I don't take any sort of narcotics (vicodin, etc) whatsoever so that is out.

Thanks for your help. It seems that age is finally beginning to catch up with me. LOL. I'm not even 40 yet. D'oh!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Extreme HDF Member

It does suck a big one.For years I went through the same thing until finally a Doctor convinced me to stretch every day,and try to keep the hamstrings loose.Well I learned my lesson,knees to the chest every morning before getting up,and stretch the hamstrings often.Feel like a young man again most of the time.Good Luck
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

If it were me, I'd make an appointment with an MD and bypass the chiropractic. Start messing with the back and you could wind up with some real, long term problems.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

If a vertebra is out of place, you probably have a pinched nerve. DO NOT USE HEAT! Trust me. Heat relieves muscles and feels good. Nerves cant stand heat, and inflames them. Use Ice for 30 minutes on, and 30 minutes off
Old 07-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodog View Post
If it were me, I'd make an appointment with an MD and bypass the chiropractic. Start messing with the back and you could wind up with some real, long term problems.
That's definitely a debatable subject...I am 51 and was ejected from a car and hit the shoulder of the road @ about 70 mph..landed on my upper back so hard my mouth slammed shut and busted 13 teeth into pieces...didnt have a scratch on my lips...I was 17 years old at the time....many Chiropractor visits later I could function about 90%...probably at 99% today with the 1% being numbness across the upper back...been numb since the day of the wreck.....never had to go back after the initial 12-14 months of almost weekly treatment...I too have heard horror stories about Chiropractors...good luck op..I know first hand what you are going through...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

Well, I trust the chiro my wife used to work for. I have been in the past and in about 5 minutes I feel all better. Amazing. It si quite debateable though. My mother worked in medicine for 20 years and refuses to go to chrios as she says they are scam artists. Of xcurse she is the one who had back surgery several years ago and is now unable to exercise as she pleases. Hmmm...Anyway, I started cleaning teh house as it looked like we had 4 hyenas and no humans living here and I feel a bit better. Imagine that. Thaks for the tip on the heat, there is definitely a pinched nerve accounting for the bast majority of my pain. At least I can sit here without constant pain now. I'll be calling chiro at 8am or whatever time they open. I have med insurance so it's all covered at least. I think I got stiff from laying on my *** for 20 hours. I don't usually even sleep for 6 hours at a time. LOL.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Extreme HDF Member
Send a message via ICQ to IronAss

I've had 3 back surgery's. Trust me...Your back is nothing to mess with. I'd go see a regular Doctor. Preferably an orthopedist. You let a Chiropractor start pushing things around in there and you could end up with way more pain and discomfort then you have now. If you have a disc bulging or partially ruptured you have to be really careful.

I can't take any type of Narcotics because of my job. I take Naproxen. It doesn't get rid of the pain but it helps.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Chiropractors are the only reason I've not had to go under the knife like the ortho's suggested. They(otho's) prescribe muscle relaxers and pain pills to falsely cover the problem. Chiro's address the root of the problem and many times heal and fix it. Of course MD's and Ortho's will go against Chiro's, it cuts deep in their pockets. I'm not knocking modern meds, if its a reqirement for survival. Thank God for those meds. Most meds are useless in fixing anything, but do a wonderful job covering up the initial problem.

Last edited by rockerheadsteve; 07-26-2009 at 08:10 PM..
Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Strained muscles can keep vertebrate dislocated. You need to get them calmed down. A cooling balm like mineral ice, biofreeze, aspercream will help. There are others that are over the counter.

Menthol, capsaicin, or trolamine salicylate would be the ingredients to look for. I have over 30 years of back pain. I know what you are going through.

The chiropractor is the way to go. If I don't have a bone protuding through the skin that's where I go first.

Lee

2007 Heritage Classic
Black Cherry
Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM

P

Tags
back, feel, fix, heat, ice, loose, meds, pain, place, put, treat, vertabra, vertabrae, vertebra, vertebrae