Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Ultimate HDF Member
Default For 100% disabled veterans

It would be nice if H.R. 4071 would become a legitimate H.B. and is approved. But, it doesn't look like it's going to happen with the current economic condition. This would give 100% service connected disabled veterans access to commissary privileges and space available travel. I know as well as most of you, compensation never keeps up with inflation.

Last edited by shortride; 12-17-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikes View Post
It would be nice if H.R. 4071 would get approved. This would give 100% service connected disabled veterans access to commissary privileges and space available travel.
my point of view all vets should have that privilege. 67t disabled vet hung out to dry
Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Road Captain

yep... sucks to
Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

That's weird. My buddy just got his 100% service disability and he has commissary privileges as well as a bunch of other bennys. ???
Old 12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Rider

Probably because he did 20 years.

Retired USAF
Long as I have my Health, then everything else will be Alright! Greek Saying
Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky chuckie View Post
Probably because he did 20 years.
Negative. He did 3-4 in VN and was in the reserves for a few years after. He didn't get the commissary privileges till he received his full 100% just last month.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers1817 View Post
That's weird. My buddy just got his 100% service disability and he has commissary privileges as well as a bunch of other bennys. ???
Someone is getting benefits that are not normally awarded to a veteran that has only 100% service connected disabilities without retirement. I've been a 100% disable Vietnam veteran for several years and I do not have that privilege. Is your friend also in New Jersey?

Last edited by shortride; 12-17-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Im not a Vet, never been in the service, but i think the way our Government treats its Vets is deplorable at best. you guys have all my respect
+ more, thank you for securing our freedom, its an honor to have you in this Country.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikes View Post
Someone is getting benefits that are not normally awarded to a veteran that has only 100% service connected disabilities without retirement. I've been a 100% disable Vietnam veteran for several years and I do not have that privilege. Is your friend also in New Jersey?
Maybe it's a NJ thing or he fell through the cracks somehow. I'll have to ask him.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Hang Around
Default 100% benefits

First please know that the D.A.V. does not require a membership to help a Vet, ever.

I am at 70% and rated at 100% because I cannot work anymore. This happened two years ago and I left the Army in 1984. I did not retire from the military. I do live in Florida. When you get a letter informing you are at 100% disabled take that letter to any active military base, post, camp, whatever and get your military ID card. You now have exchange and commissary benefits no matter what state you live in.

With this card you can go to any federal, State, county park and be given free access. Some require a special card issued from that group some do not and your new military ID card is good enough.

In Florida 100% disabled Vets do not pay property taxes any where in the state.

Open this link to the Veterans web page. http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp

There may be references to departments within the VA that seem to be places to go to get the answers. Not always true or easy to do. The D.A.V. once again, is the best place to get help if you are a vet. Please understand that sometimes Vets get the wrong information from well meaning people. Sometimes Vets get a raw deal and become bitter with the VA. Go to their web site and find your local D.A.V. service officer. http://www.dav.org/veterans/NSOffices.aspx

I know that the organizations such as the V.F.W. and others do a lot of good also. The D.A.V.'s primary business is Disabled Veterans. I found a US Navy Seal leaning on a counter frying eggs in a little Bar called Chaps in Bunnell Florida. I took him to the D.A.V. located at Flagler Beach Florida and in about four months he quit the cooking job. He had worked with a Veterans Department officer several years back and was bitter that they never did anything for him. When the D.A.V. got done with him he got a back pay check for about $60,000.00, his wife got one for about $25,000.00. And he was made 100% disabled and receives $2,924.00 per month which by the way is non-reportable, nontaxable. He also was guided in the preparation for Social Security disability. He is now 62 years old and 100 disabled with the Social Security Administration. Please do not wait to contact the D.A.V. for you or for another Vet you think has a reason to see about VA Benefits. One more thing, there are educational benefits for the Vet, but more important there may be education benefits for the children or the spouse of a vet. If you apply the worst they can say is, no. If you do not apply you will never know. God bless all Veterans and God bless all those that help the Vets.

I am not affiliated with the D.A.V. in any way except they worked their "Magic" for me and my family. I truly believe were it not for my service and a grateful Nation through the Veterans Administration I would be in the street today. Good luck to you and yours!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM

P